Basilisks

I got some technical questions:

-Is there any way to have basilisks in BGII, even if by, push-comes-to-shove, importing animations from BGI or somesuch?

-What would be the best way to code a weapon that effectively casts Doom on every hit (-1 to saves) but allows a save for the effect? Possible?

(If either is possible, I won't be able to make head or tail of answers; but I'll pass them along to interested parties. Thanks in advance!)

-Is there any way to have basilisks in BGII, even if by, push-comes-to-shove, importing animations from BGI or somesuch?

Well, of course, since they are in BGT and BGTutu...

-What would be the best way to code a weapon that effectively casts Doom on every hit (-1 to saves) but allows a save for the effect? Possible?

Sure, you could use an EFF to cast the spell, and allow the save for on the EFF.

Doom is supposed to inflict -2 to saves, attack and damage rolls.

If you want a weapon to "only" lower the saves by 1 then it's probably better to just add a melee effect "bonus vs. death/breath/etc." (assigning it a negative value obviously) with the relative save to avoid the effects.

Galactygon has basilisks for BG2 in his Bestial Animations mod.

See http://forums.blackwyrmlair.net for details.

There is also an "improved" basilisk by Avenger here (not sure if this made it into Bestial Animations yet).

And the basilisk slot should be MBAS in any mod (see here). I don't think it's a slot that can be "compressed" for technical reasons. Though I'm wondering now what the difference is between basilisk and basilisk_greater. I don't know if there is one - it's probably just an extra entry in animate.ids in the default game.

The difference between the basilisks is a bmp file which is applied to the greater basilisk's palette. (i think it is mbas_gr.bmp)

So, you get 2 animation ids for one animation bam, but you gotta supply the bmp palette for the second anim.

The improvement is just simply fixing the shadow palette entry screwed by bamworkshop.

Archived