Wands

Demivrgvs

Make wands "remain" after all charges are spent, that way, even if you make it 10 charges, we can use all 10.

The bouncing Lightning bolt is one thing that can get quite overwhelming, I rarely use that wand simply for that reason, but can you make mark I not bounce, and mark II bounce ? For a lot more coin, of course.

I'm keeping the fixed caster level instead, and I do like your suggestion on "mark system" because it avoids to break this PnP rule.
Yes, that's probably the best...

Speaking of charges...this wand(WoF) has either to split its 10 charges between the two abilities ar cost significantly more than the others...

What about the Wand of Lightning?

I have a problem with the word split, as I associate it with splitting to halves, so it would be 5&5, not 10 as total as I would like it to be. :)

WoL, well if you can make it, the separate targets is very nice.

I like the Magic Missile idea, Mark I, II, and III, upgradable via a mage?
But only by the powerful mages... perhaps Thalantyr could upgrade Wand of Magic Missiles mark I to mark II, but nothing else! Deidre could upgrade a few of them from mark I to mark II... all of them, if you ask her to do some research before you go to Spellhold, and then return after... including Wand of Magic Missiles mark II to mark III. Cespenar could do the rest, hmm... Or Ranepsec... hmm, in the Item Improvement mod. :)
I like the Magic Missile idea, Mark I, II, and III, upgradable via a mage?
But only by the powerful mages... perhaps Thalantyr could upgrade Wand of Magic Missiles mark I to mark II, but nothing else! Deidre could upgrade a few of them from mark I to mark II... all of them, if you ask her to do some research before you go to Spellhold, and then return after... including Wand of Magic Missiles mark II to mark III. Cespenar could do the rest, hmm...

This would add another layer of work, but maybe it would reduce the one where we'd have to find out where to put the new items. I like the concept of finding different versions of similar wands and (not to get anyone's hopes up unnecessarily) with the potential to have slightly differentiated inventory .BAMs...

This could take a while to implement well... if we decide on doing it, perhaps it would be appropriate to pair it with the planned full BGT/Tutu changes.

I think 20 charges would be nice for most wands, as in 20 per ability, just because it's not convenient to recharge it every day. And that would reduce the cost per charge to $500 or so, still a lot of coin, especially for a 3rd level spell like Fireball and lightning bolt.
Actually it already is $500 per 3rd level charge.

Prices currently are as follow:

Magic Missile & Sleep: $100 per charge

Fear: $300 per charge

Fire, Frost & Cursing: $500 per charge

Lightning: $750 per charge

Paralysis, Cloudkill & Monster Summoning: $1000 per charge

Spellstrike: $1250 per charge

I have a problem with the word split, as I associate it with splitting to halves, so it would be 5&5, not 10 as total as I would like it to be. :)
Unfortunately charges for each ability are handled separately, I cannot change that. Anyway, I'll raise the price keeping 10 charges for each.

Here's what I've done.

Wand of Magic Missiles

Special Abilities (consumes charges):

Magic Missile: three missiles, 1d4 +1 points o magic damage each, 1 target

Requires: 10 Intelligence

Notes: previoulsy fired only one missile.

Wand of Sleep

Sleep: save vs. wand or fal asleep for 1 turn, opponents with less than 10HD within 30' radius

Requires: 10 Intelligence

Notes: it previoulsy affected only creatures with less than 5HD.

Wand of Fear

Fear: save vs. wands at -1 or flee in panick for 5 rounds, opponents within 30' radius

Requires: 11 Intelligence

Notes: mostly unchanged.

Wand of Fire

Fireball: 6d6 points of fire damage, save vs. wand at -2 half, everyone within 30' radius

Scorcher Ray: 5d6 points of fire damage, everyone between target and caster

Requires: 12 Intelligence

Wand of Frost

Freezing Sphere: 6d6 points of cold damage + slow for 5 rounds, save vs. wands at -3 half, 1 target

Requires: 13 Intelligence

Notes: vanilla's versions dealt 8d6 points of damage, without slowing the target.

Wand of Lightning

Lightning Bolts: three bolts, 3d6 points of electrical damage each, save vs. wands at -3 half, up to 3 targets

Notes: BG1's version fired 1 bolt for 6d6 damage, BG2's version fired 6 bolts for 3d6 damage each.

Wand of Polymorph

Polymorph: save vs. wands at -3 or be permanently polymorphed

Wand of Cloudkill

Cloudkill: as per Cloudkill spell

Requires: 14 Intelligence

Wand of Paralysis

Paralysis: save vs. wands at -4 or be stunned for 10 rounds, 1 target

Wand of Monster Summoning

Summons 12HD of monsters

Wand of the Heavens

Column of Fire: 9d6 points of fire damage, save vs. wands at -3 half, 1 target

Requires: 9 Intelligence, 13 Wisdom

Usable By:

Cleric

Druid

Wand of Cursing

Curse: save vs. wands at -2 or be blinded, deafned, and silenced for 10 rounds, 1 target

Requires: 12 Intelligence

Notes: mostly unchanged. I'd like to make it use a "curse" effect, but the AI probably wouldn't be able to handle it.

Wand of Spellstrike

Breach: as per Breach spell

Pierce Magic: as per Pierce Magic spell (10th caster level)

Requires: 15 Intelligence

Notes: this wand is the very reason that made me rebuild all of them to use .spl files. It's now correctly flagged as a Magic Attack and spell protections will handle it appropriately.

Prices currently are as follow:

Magic Missile: $100 per charge

Sleep: $200 per charge

Fear: $300 per charge

Fire, & Cursing: $500 per charge

Frost, Lightning, of Heavens & Polymorph: $750 per charge

Paralysis, Cloudkill & Monster Summoning: $1000 per charge

Spellstrike: $1250 per charge

Make wands "remain" after all charges are spent, that way, even if you make it 10 charges, we can use all 10.

How does wands work in regard to this? Do they magically disappear after all charges are used, or do they remain, ready to be sold and re-bought (and recharged) again?

How does wands work in regard to this? Do they magically disappear after all charges are used, or do they remain, ready to be sold and re-bought (and recharged) again?

They are destroyed as soon as the last charge is used. It was suggested to make them not disappear to allow a sell-buy recharge routine, but it wasn't implemented.

Roger that. Is there any clever way to find out how many charges are left except trying to peddle the wand and see how much you'll get for it? And if that's the only way - is there some form of easy "formula" to work out how many charges are left in, for instance, a wand of Magic Missiles?

Oh, and thanks for the answer :party:

Roger that. Is there any clever way to find out how many charges are left except trying to peddle the wand and see how much you'll get for it? And if that's the only way - is there some form of easy "formula" to work out how many charges are left in, for instance, a wand of Magic Missiles?

Oh, and thanks for the answer :party:

If you stick it in your quick item slot, you should be able to see the charges remaining on the main screen.

Oh, and thanks for the answer :)

If you stick it in your quick item slot, you should be able to see the charges remaining on the main screen.

:party: Only BGT/BG2 or BG1 too (just out of curiosity)? I swear, not having the game on my laptop really makes me realize how oblivious I am...

Oh, and thanks for the answer :)

:party: Only BGT/BG2 or BG1 too (just out of curiosity)?

Apparently BG2 only. I've hardly played a real BG1 game since I discovered Tutu so I had to check to check in game.

Revision looks pretty impressive. Demi, can I beg you also for moving some amount of Wand of Spellstrike (maybe a lesser version) to Shadows of Amn? Some wizard-hate warriors would really appreciate it, even if it costs a lot.

You're still about the idea of making lesser/greater versions of wands? If so, I can handle the BAMs, that's a lot easier task for me than spell BAMs.

Revision looks pretty impressive. Demi, can I beg you also for moving some amount of Wand of Spellstrike (maybe a lesser version) to Shadows of Amn? Some wizard-hate warriors would really appreciate it, even if it costs a lot.
Well, having it available late in SoA may not be an issue, though the "bypass II" feature makes it slightly overpowered imo. At the same time though, you know it's not usable by warriors, do you?

You're still about the idea of making lesser/greater versions of wands? If so, I can handle the BAMs, that's a lot easier task for me than spell BAMs.
The idea was not bad at all, but I personally don't think it's a priority for V3, unless Mike thinks otherwise.
At the same time though, you know it's not usable by warriors, do you?

Gah, again! Wizards have a lot of possibilities to become usefull as a fighters (Tenser's Transformation, magic swords etc.) and fighter cannot even buy for 1250 gold pieces a little junk which can tire down some of the wizard's protections. :/ That's just unfair.

Archived