Spell Expiry

BloodBeast

It's possible to force a spell to DisplayStringHead (or the like) every n seconds, saying how much time has left. Lots of spam it will be though. Another solution would be to make a special script that would display the info when a certain hotkey is pressed. Unfortunately, it's not too likely that anyone would want to do it.

Yeah, it's not really necessary, but whenever you check your status page, it would be nice to see the number of seconds displayed next to the spell, for convenience, instead of the player guessing, I know BG2 is quite old, but what if the seconds are easily retrievable from a hidden procedure? I wonder...

I'm not interested on adding such a feature sorry, not only for its drawbacks (time to code, and additional load to the cpu while playing), but mainly because I don't like it.

It's ok for a mage to know more or less how his/her spell is going to last, but it doesn't make sense to know the exact number of seconds remaining. I can't imagin mages neither with multiple wristwatches or chronographes, nor them menatally keeping the score of multiple expiration time while focusing on the next spell to cast.

It's ok for a mage to know more or less how his/her spell is going to last, but it doesn't make sense to know the exact number of seconds remaining.
Well, don't know about that, but it could be nice to have a feed back loop that announces the spells remaining time in few turns or rounds. -just idea.

Or they could announce themselves when they become none-active as they do with dispel etc.

I'm not interested on adding such a feature sorry, not only for its drawbacks (time to code, and additional load to the cpu while playing), but mainly because I don't like it.

It's ok for a mage to know more or less how his/her spell is going to last, but it doesn't make sense to know the exact number of seconds remaining. I can't imagin mages neither with multiple wristwatches or chronographes, nor them menatally keeping the score of multiple expiration time while focusing on the next spell to cast.

I too think it's unnessesary, I hope you'll stand by your opinion :)

I can't imagin mages neither with multiple wristwatches or chronographes, nor them menatally keeping the score of multiple expiration time while focusing on the next spell to cast.

Really? I can certainly imagine them counting down the rounds (or rather, intervals of cleansed aura) - it might be a matter of life or death, after all.

I can't imagin mages neither with multiple wristwatches or chronographes, nor them menatally keeping the score of multiple expiration time while focusing on the next spell to cast.
Really? I can certainly imagine them counting down the rounds (or rather, intervals of cleansed aura) - it might be a matter of life or death, after all.
I can see them counting down the rounds for short lasting spells and effects, and still I'd be talking of rounds and not seconds.

I really can't see them doing the same for long lasting spells and effects: "oh yes, I casted Protection from Fire on charname 537 seconds ago, while I casted Death Ward on myself 126 seconds ago, but when the hell did I casted Magic Resistance to that other party member? :) " ...

I really can't see them doing the same for long lasting spells and effects: "oh yes, I casted Protection from Fire on charname 537 seconds ago, while I casted Death Ward on myself 126 seconds ago, but when the hell did I casted Magic Resistance to that other party member? :) " ...
Ah, but you are forgetting that the mage is indeed a mage, not a mathematician. He can feel the magical auras...

Let the force flow through you.

Exactly, a magical aura might dim or wane as time goes on, being visible to the mage or priest. Even better yet, a spell might leave a line on the back of the hand, slowly decreasing in length, you know, it's all imaginary stuff.

I've been playing forever with out a timer, so it's not necessary, just wondering if it's easy to do, that's all.

Sometimes my charname gets poisoned, or Stunned, or Held, and I just sit there and wonder, how long is it going to be? If it's 10 rounds, maybe I will have a cleric cast a spell to neutralize the poison, but if it's 1 round, maybe I will just let it be.....
I may accept the opinion that mages can count down the remaining time for his spells, though I don't agree...but allowing the opponent to know the expiration time is clearly wrong imo.

Why on earth the victim should be able to know how long the negative effect will last?! "Hey you! I'm gonna poison you, but don't worry within 2 rounds you'll be fine, don't use an antidote!" :)

Sometimes my charname gets poisoned... If it's 10 rounds, maybe I will have a cleric cast a spell to neutralize the poison, but if it's 1 round, maybe I will just let it be.....
In that case you should be quaffing a Elixir of Health potion, as it cures few(up to 10) hit points also with the antidote effect.

Archived