Masochists (still) sought for IWD-BG2 project

DavidW

First, I want to say this is fantastic news. Bravo! Thank you, guys!

Unfortunately I don't have any time to playtest. I have some general questions, though:

I'm assuming that playing IWD with the BG2 engine will allow players to use a party of NPCs for IWD/HoW/ToL. If this is correct, do you envision the IWD experience being integrated into the BG saga in some way?

Or do you feel it would be better left standing alone?

I only tried playing IWD once, but I didn't get very far because it didn't appeal to me due to the lack of NPC interaction. So I very much look forward to playing this conversion, eventually. But I'm still trying to imagine how the IWD experience will be brought to life with NPCs.

As a standalone conversion game, modders will create NPCs. But then there's the usual problem there of finding topnotch voice actors. The voice acting quality of a Hubblepot, let's say, is hard to achieve. And lacking Bioware NPCs, crossbanter between all these different custom NPCs requires coordination from the getgo, I think. Still, despite these problems, this may be the most sensible approach. (I would think it will be the least work.)

The other option is for IWD/HoW/ToL to be integrated into the BG series storyline. This would probably best be done as a part of BGT.

But if so, where to place it?

IWD/HoW/ToL could be a massive BG series sidequest. This has the advantage of players being able to use the BG1 series NPCs.

As a sidequest, I'm thinking it might be best to place IWD after completion of BG1/ToSC and before SoA. If the BGT platform is used, this would require some minor rewriting of the storyline. Irenicus then kidnaps the party after completion of IWD/HoW/ToL, rather than just after the party defeats Sarevok. (No big deal.)

However, in this scenario, by the time the party returns from the Frozen North, SoA/ToB will start at radically higher level play than it is currently designed for. So SoA/ToB encounters have to be reworked to match the XP levels of a party that has completed BG1/ToSC and IWD/HoW/ToL!

If, on the other hand, IWD/HoW/ToL is placed at the conclusion of the Bhaalspawn saga (i.e., after ToB), then all of the IWD/HoW/ToL will be epic level and will need to be retooled for extremely high level play.

We're planning to make IWD NPC available via the new conversion - if I finally find the strength to go out and buy a new computer next week, that is. Been putting it off for years. (And if/when I get the beta, naturally).

I think connecting IWD and BG2 stories is risky: I wanted to, a few years ago, when I was planning the "BG1 NPCs in IWD" thingy, but then thought better of it. When IWD->BG2 engine conversion is ready, it's possible to make a third-party mod which connects the stories, but I'd view such project with prejudice.

EDIT: IWD NPC will still be a standalone mod, naturally: if you want to install it, you'll have to go to http://www.pocketplane.net/iwdnpc and choose whether to download it or not.

First, I want to say this is fantastic news. Bravo! Thank you, guys!

Unfortunately I don't have any time to playtest. I have some general questions, though:

I'm assuming that playing IWD with the BG2 engine will allow players to use a party of NPCs for IWD/HoW/ToL. If this is correct, do you envision the IWD experience being integrated into the BG saga in some way?

Or do you feel it would be better left standing alone?

It's been left alone: this is a pure engine conversion.

(In case I haven't been clear enough, by the way, this is basically done and ready for testing: it's not something still in the planning stage). Of course, if someone else wanted to use the resources to create a combined game, they could.

As for NPCs, that's basically going to be down to modders. Kulyok's IWDNPCs are likely to be converted fairly quickly. I'll also distribute an (optional-component) group of NPCs with the mod, but they'll be BG1-level only (and built from some of the copious supply of portraits and soundsets in IWD).

I think that IWD1@BG2 can be a sort of refreshment for Infinity Engine modding, you know? That's extremaly fresh and cool platform for modders. New, IWD-like kits, NPCs, story improvements, tactic challenges. IWD provides primitive but nice story, great art... BG2 engine gives a lot of space to improve. :blush: I hope that this project will be finished!

@Jarno

I've didn't started creating those kits but I got on mind interpretation of these in BG2 engine. Some abilities (raised weigh carry) are impossible in straight-way to do in BG2. But I think when beta-tests will start I can do this. :blush:

Archived