Masochists (still) sought for IWD-BG2 project

DavidW

This time last year, Cam announced a G3 project to convert Icewind Dale to the BG2 engine; the original thread is here.

That project is now approaching the playtest stage (it needs another few days private testing before I feel confident saying it's stable enough), and now we're looking for players interested in beta testing it.

You'll need

- a clean full install of IWD, HoW, and Trials of the Luremaster

- an install of Throne of Bhaal (probably best if it's also clean and full, but with luck it doesn't matter)

- about 5GB of spare hard drive space

- patience. (Realistically there will be a lot of bugs in the early versions - this is a largely-automated conversion of a very large number of resources).

Anyway, if you're interested or have questions, sign up here.

- a clean full install of IWD, HoW, and Test of the Luremaster
Trials of the Luremaster(an example link).

I am intressed to test the beta, as long as I am not the only one to test it... PM me on the details, if you wish me to test it.

If this would be an April's joke I'd kill you. Dang, why do the real interesting projects come out when I don't have time at all - other than to say: I love you guys! Keep up the good work!

Blessings to Kulyok's IWD1 Project, but I hope to see a time with numerous IWDBGII NPCs, and other mods. Yay! Well, I agree that it's a bit early for that, but still.

I could probably get this working on MacOSX.

I should think so, yeah - there's basically one medium-sized batch file and the rest is WEIDU. I don't think I'll be supporting it officially till I've got a more stable Windows version, but there shouldn't be any problem in principle.

I can try as someone with non-english installation (and as polish translator). At this stage of beta-testing is it allowed?

EDIT:

Also, I'm attaching here my little discovery - original IWD2 kits found in dialog.tlk of vanilla game. In early game previews IWD2 was still 2ed. game, so it has some kits. Most of kits where from BG2 (with some additions and modifications) but each class lost one kit (f.e. no more Berserker) and gained additional one (in this case Mercenary). Ladies and gentlemens... :blush:

FIGHTER KITS

Mercenary instead of Berserker

MERCENARY: Mercenaries are soldiers who sell their services to the highest bidder. Traveling great distances in harsh conditions for coin and fame, the mercenary is a man or woman who must master a variety of weapons and styles to satisfy his or her employer's needs.

Advantages:

* Two extra proficiency slots at 1st level.

* One extra proficiency slot at 6th level.

* Carry weight increased by 50%.

Disadvantages:

* Unable to start with Weapon Specialization.

* Unable to achieve Grand Mastery in a weapon.

Wizard Slayer

WIZARD SLAYER: This warrior has been specially trained by his sect to excel in hunting and attacking spellcasters of all kinds.

Advantages:

* Each hit on opponent spellcaster increases the chance of spell disruption by 5%.

* Gains 1% magic resistance each level.

* +4 attack bonus and Damage vs. Wizards and Sorcerers.

Disadvantages:

* May not use any magic items except for weapons and armor.

Weapon Master (in BG2 Kensai)

WEAPONS MASTER: a warrior that has been specially trained to be one with his or her weapon, weapons masters are often held in high regard: in Kara-Tur they are known as kensai - 'sword saints' - and are similarly revered among the moon elves of Evereska. They are deadly and fast and are trained to fight without encumbrance, some considering armor the crutch of the martially unskilled.

Advantages:

* Bonus +1 attack bonus and Damage /3 levels.

* +2 armor bonus.

* -1 bonus to Speed Factor for every 4 levels.

* May use 'Focus' ability one time per day for every 4 levels: this ability lasts 10 seconds and makes all attacks do maximum damage.

Disadvantages:

* May not use missile weapons.

* May not wear armor.

PALADIN KITS

Cavalier

CAVALIER: The name "cavalier" represents an attitude rather than a profession. The cavalier is a fearless combatant against monstrous opponents, inspiring others with his or her fearless dedication and prowess in battle. Cavaliers always fight at the front of every battle, choosing to use close-combat melee weapons over weapons with reach.

Advantages:

* +3 Attack Bonus and Damage vs. demonic and draconic creatures.

* Remove Fear 1/day/level.

* Immunity to poison.

* 3rd level: Emotion Control: Courage 1/day.

Disadvantages:

* May not use missile weapons, halberds, or spears.

* May not use armor less than splint mail.

Inquisitor

INQUISITOR: The inquisitor has dedicated his or her life to finding and eliminating practitioners of evil magic and defeating the forces of darkness.

Advantages:

* May use Inquisitor Dispel Magic 1/day/4 levels: ability is used at speed factor 1.

* Immune to hold and charm spells.

* 7th level: Spell Shield 1/Day.

* 9th level: Miscast Magic 1/Day.

* 15th level: Antimagic Field 1/Day.

Disadvantages:

* May not use Lay on Hands.

* May not cast priest spells.

* May not use Remove Disease.

VOTARY (instead of Undead Hunter)

VOTARY: Grim, intensely devoted champions of their faith, votaries are the bane of all evil priests. Votaries are known for their vehement dislike for all foreign religions and their skill at dispatching the agents of such faiths.

Advantages:

* +4 attack bonus and Damage vs. Clerics and Druids.

* 1 additional spell per spell level the votary is able to cast.

* 1 additional Holy Smite per day/4 levels.

Disadvantages:

* May not use Lay on Hands.

* May not use Remove Disease.

RANGER KITS

Archer

ARCHER: The archer is the epitome of skill with the bow. He or she is the ultimate marksman, able to make almost any shot, no matter how difficult. To achieve their level of skill, archers sacrifice attention to melee weapons and heavy armor.

Advantages:

* +1 Attack Bonus and Damage with any missile weapon /3 levels.

* Every 4 levels he or she gains the ability to make a called shot once per day. When he or she activates this ability, any shot made within the next 10 seconds is augmented in the following manner (according to the level of the archer):

4th level: -1 to attack bonus of target.

8th level: -1 to Saving Throw vs. Magic of target.

12th level: -1 to Strength of target.

16th level: +2 bonus to Damage.

Disadvantages:

* An archer may only become proficient in Melee weapons; he or she may never specialize.

* An archer cannot wear any metal armor.

Stalker

STALKER: Stalkers serve as covert intelligence-gatherers, comfortable in both wilderness and urban settings. They are the spies, informants and interrogators... and their mastery of stealth makes them deadly opponents.

Advantages:

* +10% to Stealth.

* May make Sneak Attacks as if a Rogue of half the Stalker's level.

Disadvantages:

* May not wear armor greater than Studded Leather.

* May only use a Rogue's selection of weapons.

Giant Killer

GIANT KILLER: The classic heroes of countless tales throughout the Realms, giant killers are rangers who devote their efforts towards the protection of civilized lands from evil giants and their kin.

Advantages:

* +1 attack bonus per level vs. Giants, Ogres, and Trolls.

* +1 to Damage per level vs. Giants, Ogres, and Trolls.

Disadvantages:

* Giant killers may not select a racial enemy.

* Giant killers are unable to track.

THIEF KITS

Assasin

ASSASSIN: This is a killer trained in discreet and efficient murder, thriving on anonymity and surprise to perform his or her tasks.

Advantages:

* May coat weapon in poison once per day per 4 levels. The next hit with that weapon will inject the poison into the target, dealing out 6 damage every 6 seconds for 30 seconds. A saving throw vs. poison limits damage to 6 total. The strength of the poison increases at 10th level. At 20th level, it also slows targets.

* +1 Attack Bonus and Damage.

Disadvantages:

* Only 15% per level to distribute on skills.

Arcane Rogue instead of Bounty Hunter

ARCANE ROGUE: Combining the skills of a rogue with minor magical powers, the arcane rogue is a potent scout and decoy. The arcane rogue focuses less time on lethal combat than his or her fellow rogues.

Advantages:

* +10% to Use Magic Device.

* 5th level: Invisibility 1/day.

* 9th level: Improved Invisibility 1/day.

* 11th level: Dimension Door 1/day.

* 15th level, Shades 1/day.

Disadvantages:

* -10% on all rogue skills except Use Magic Device.

* Cannot make Sneak Attacks.

Swashbuckler

SWASHBUCKLER: This rogue is part acrobat, part swordsman and part wit... the epitome of charm and grace. A swashbuckler fights with dramatic flair and deadly precision. Due a swashbuckler's healthy sense of pride, they do not deign to learn the roguish talent for Sneak Attacks.

Advantages:

* +1 Armor Bonus/5 levels.

* +1 Attack Bonus and Damage/5 levels.

* May specialize in any weapons available to thieves.

Disadvantages:

* Cannot make Sneak Attacks.

BARD KITS

Blade

BLADE: The Blade is an expert fighter and adventurer whose bardic acting abilities go towards making him appear more intimidating and fearsome. His fighting style is showy but also quite deadly.

Advantages:

* Blades automatically have an extra proficiency slot in the Two-Weapon fighting style.

* 3rd level: Trick Shot: When Blades critically hit, they cause Blindness (50% chance) or Slow (50% chance) for five rounds unless a Fortitude save is made. Undead, constructs, and elementals are immune to these effects.

* 5th level: Offensive Spin: When a Blade activates this ability, he or she gains a +2 attack bonus and a +2 bonus to damage for ten rounds. He or she can use this ability 3/day.

* 7th level: Defensive Spin: When a Blade activates this ability, he or she gains a +2 generic armor class and saving throw bonus for ten rounds. He or she can use this ability 3/day.

Disadvantages:

* Only has one-half Lore value.

* Can only play the Ballad of Three Heroes bard song.

Riddlemaster instead of Jester

RIDDLEMASTER: This bard uses odd, confusing riddles to infuriate and dazzle opponents. As a riddlemaster gains experience, he or she learns more powerful riddles in the same manner that a traditional bard learns songs.

Advantages:

* 3rd level: The Infuriating Dilemma: This riddle is so annoying to the target that he or she goes berserk for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

* 5th level: King's Logic: The riddlemaster presents a logic puzzle so fascinating that the target is stunned for five rounds. It is useable 3/day.

* 7th level: Gram's Paradox: All enemy creatures within 20' of the riddlemaster are confused for five rounds. It is useable 1/day.

* 9th level: Foolproof: The riddlemaster is immune to all confusion, fear, and berserk effects.

* 11th level: Conundrum: The target of this incredibly difficult riddle is subjected to a Feeblemind spell. It is useable 3/day.

Disadvantages:

* All deaf/silenced creatures, elementals, undead, animals, and constructs are immune to the riddlemaster's riddles. Creatures with Intelligence under 5 or over 19 are immune to the riddles as well. All creatures receive a saving throw vs. spell against the effects.

* Riddlemasters only gain the Ballad of Three Heroes bard song.

Skald

SKALD: This is a tribal bard who is also a warrior of great strength, skill and virtue. His songs are inspiring sagas of battle and valor, and the skald devotes his life to those pursuits.

Advantages:

* Skalds have +1 attack bonus and Damage with all weapons.

* 3rd level: Heroic Inspiration: Every time a member of the party (PC) dies, the Skald gains +1 attack bonus and damage, up to a maximum of +5. This bonus lasts as long as enemies are in view.

* 11th level: Inspire Fury: At 11th level, the Skald gains the ability to incite Blood Rage 1/Day.

Disadvantages:

* Skalds have -10% to Pick Pockets and Use Magic Device.

* Skalds gain half as many points in Pick Pockets and Use Magic Device, per level.

You know I'm up for it, DavidW. PM, email or notify us here when you're ready.

I can assure you, jastey, that this is real. If you ever get the time...

Nice find, yarpen. It's something to consider when we get this thing up and running.

It's nice to hear that it can be useful. I think that adaptation of these kits can bring to IWD1@BG2 great atmosphere.

CLERIC KITS

Dreadmaster of Bane instead of Cleric of Talos

DREADMASTER OF BANE: The most feared and reviled deity in the Forgotten Realms, Bane is the lord of strife, hatred, and tyranny. His followers fight each other almost as much as enemy faiths, which is one of the prime reasons their devious priesthood has not dominated the Realms.

Advantages:

* Dreadmasters are immune to all Fear effects.

* Dreadmasters may cast Cloak of Fear 1/4 levels/day.

* Dreadmasters may cast Dominate 1/5 levels/day.

Disadvantages:

* Dreadmasters may not turn undead.

Battleguard of Tempus instead of Cleric of Helm

BATTLEGUARD OF TEMPUS: Priests of the god of war can be found wherever there is conflict in the Realms. They believe that the execution of war makes civilization stronger for future generations. Battleguards act in the belief that death on the battlefield is one of the most honorable ways to die.

Advantages:

* Battleguards can use and gain proficiency in any weapon type.

* Battleguards can incite a berserk rage in themselves 1/4 levels/day.

* Battleguards can cast Prayer 1/5 levels/day.

Disadvantages:

* Battleguards cannot turn undead.

Silverstar of Selune instead of Cleric of Lathander

SILVERSTAR OF SELUNE:The goddess of the moon, Selune, is popular across the Forgotten Realms. Her priests are champions of goodness and freedom. They preach tolerance and acceptance and wage war against hatred and ignorance.

Advantages:

* May cast Moon Motes (cone of electricity, 4-16 damage) 1/3 levels/day.

* May cast Moonblade 1/5 levels/day.

* May cast Wall of Moonlight 1/10 levels/day.

Disadvantages:

* Cannot turn undead.

DRUID KITS

Aes Dana instead of Totemic Druid

AES DANA: Among the more civic-minded of druids, the aes dana are well versed in history, frequently assist war bands, and heal the wounded after battle. Druids like the aes dana are often found in the Moonshae Isles.

Advantages:

* +10 to Lore.

* 3rd level: Cure Moderate Wounds 1/Day.

* 5th level: Prayer 1/Day.

* 7th level: Recitation 1/Day.

Disadvantages:

* Cannot shapeshift into animals, only elementals at high levels.

Shapeshifter

SHAPESHIFTER: These druids master their shapechanging abilities much more extensively than others and train intensely to increase their powers throughout their life.

Advantages:

* All normal druidic shapechanging powers.

* 9th level: shapeshift into arctic boar.

* 11th level: shapeshift into black panther.

* 13th level: shapeshift into shambling mound.

Disadvantages:

* Do not gain Poison Immunity.

* Do not gain Timeless Body.

Avenger

AVENGER: A member of a special sect within a druidic order, a druid of this type is dedicated to fighting those who would defile nature. Avengers have powers the average druid does not; additional abilities that have been earned through extensive rituals, a process that is very physically draining.

Advantages:

* 3rd level: Beast Claw 2/Day.

* 5th level: Spike Growth 2/Day.

* 7th level: Thorn Spray 2/Day.

Disadvantages:

* May not shapeshift into animals, only elementals at high levels.

Also got a question. What do you want to do with Spell System? BG2 spells are great for magic duels, you know, all of these pre-buffs, spell turning, breaches etc. That was great stuff for liches. In IWD1 fights are more hack'n'slash, dwarven fighter is as important as wizard - and that's great and oldschool. Lack of these damned sequencers are for me personally one of biggest advantages of IWD saga. And still, in BG2 there's lack of such many area-damaging spells (especially for druids). What are you going to do with this?

- converting IWD spell system to BG2? (nearly impossible)

- rewrite nearly all of enemy scripts to match BG2 spell system with sequencers etc. ? (4me: sucks completly)

- create a hybrid of IWD and BG2 spell systems, so BG2 without sequencers and with add-on of powerful damaging spells?

- dunno.

Also got a question. What do you want to do with Spell System? BG2 spells are great for magic duels, you know, all of these pre-buffs, spell turning, breaches etc. That was great stuff for liches. In IWD1 fights are more hack'n'slash, dwarven fighter is as important as wizard - and that's great and oldschool. Lack of these damned sequencers are for me personally one of biggest advantages of IWD saga. And still, in BG2 there's lack of such many area-damaging spells (especially for druids). What are you going to do with this?

- converting IWD spell system to BG2? (nearly impossible)

- rewrite nearly all of enemy scripts to match BG2 spell system with sequencers etc. ? (4me: sucks completly)

- create a hybrid of IWD and BG2 spell systems, so BG2 without sequencers and with add-on of powerful damaging spells?

- dunno.

We (= me, Cam, Nythrun) have brought basically all the IWD spells over to BG2. (The exceptions, working from memory, are Seven Eyes, Soul Eater, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, Smashing Wave, Spiritual Wrath, Wall of Moonlight, and Whirlwind; a couple of other conversions aren't 100% accurate).

The core conversion, therefore, basically just does the first of your three options, and leaves us in about the same situation as TUTU: no enemies use non-IWD spells, and no shops sell them, but your sorcerers, clerics and druids can still use them. I'll be distributing an optional component which puts BG2-specific spell scrolls into stores; I might also code a component that strips out all the BG2 spells, but I'm less sure that's worth doing.

For the base conversion, the scripting is as close as possible to a literal translation of the IWD scripts into the somewhat-different BG2 scripting language. I'll probably write a SCS for IWD ("Snowscape Strategems?) which might make some use of BG2 spell resources.

I'm also planning to release another mod ("A hint of snow"?) which brings the spell system, and some of the animations and class abilities, over into BG2 but without the actual game content. That's further down the trail, though.

We (= me, Cam, Nythrun) have brought basically all the IWD spells over to BG2. (The exceptions, working from memory, are Seven Eyes, Soul Eater, Mordenkainen's Force Missiles, Smashing Wave, Spiritual Wrath, Wall of Moonlight, and Whirlwind; a couple of other conversions aren't 100% accurate).

Whoah. :blush: Whirlwind/Smashing Wave because of animation?

which brings the spell system, and some of the animations and class abilities

And kits kits kits! :blush: If you want I can show you my BG2-engine interpretation of them. ;]

Would love to see IWD1@BG2-SCS spell system/script hybrid. In IWD I always loved great amounts of enemies at one time (remember sahuagins?). And that with addition of pre-buffing in BG2 style wizards - and we got best Infinity Engine battles ever :blush:

I'll probably write a SCS for IWD ("Snowscape Strategems?) which might make some use of BG2 spell resources.
But that's SSS... :blush:

Why not Snow Castle Stargems In Windy Dale...SCSIWD. :)

Whoah. :blush: Whirlwind/Smashing Wave because of animation?
Well, there is at least 1 Whirlwind animation in the Chaos magic addition by JOG...

... And kits kits kits! :D If you want I can show you my BG2-engine interpretation of them. ;]
I would be more than happy to see those kits(and test them).

Edit: tried to direct the...

which brings the spell system, and some of the animations and class abilities
And kits kits kits! :blush: If you want I can show you my BG2-engine interpretation of them. ;]
I would be more than happy to see those kits(and test them).

Ask Yarpen, not me...

Archived