Spook

Lemernis

In the last two major battles in the game, I've managed to panic Tolgerius and Fierkrag with the lowly level 1 spell Spook. I had never really bothered using the spell much in all these years. But I've recently found the occassion with SCSII. SCSII has forced me to exhaust a lot of other spells trying to bring down enemy spell protections and eventually incapcitate the opponent. Anyway, there's something satisfying about seeing a great red wyrm's circle turn yellow and then have him run and (literally) quiver in a corner. I think I'll be using the spell more often now.

Yes I've had Firkraag running around also myself - it was hard work to chase him still :) I saw some years ago Silverstar (I think it was him) described Firkraag running around panicking by Spook.

I often now use Spook in tutu with great effect :)

Perhaps using a Minor Sequencer with Spook is an idea?

I would've expected dragons to be immune (especially from such a lowly spell). Aren't they supposed to have stratospheric morale?

Spook

School: Illusion/Phantom

Range: 30 feet

Components: V, S

Duration: 3 rounds

Casting Time: 1 round

Area of Effect: 1 creature

Saving Throw: Neg.

A spook spell enables the wizard to play upon natural fears to cause the target creature to perceive the spellcaster as someone or something inimical which then appears to advance upon it in a threatening manner. If the creature does not make a successful saving throw vs. spell, it turns and flees at maximum speed as far from the wizard as possible, though items carried are not dropped. The creature has a saving throw penalty of -1 for every two experience levels of the caster, to a maximum of -6 at 12th level. Although the caster does not actually pursue the fleeing creature, a phantasm from it's own mind does. In any event, the spell functions only against creatures with Intelligences of 2 or more, and undead are not affected at all.

The effect is dependent on caster level. So like Magic Missile it becomes more powerful as the mage gains levels.

I had made Fierkrag vulnerable with Breach, Remove Magic (? I think so, anyway), Greater Malison, Doom, Glitterdust, and Lower Resistance twice. Even after all that Fierkrag kept saving against Slow and Chaos. But Spook's -6 versus saving throws evidently stood the best chance of succeeding. And it did get through.

The dragon's morale may be high but I guess it must ultimately be a matter of saving throws.

Yes I've had Firkraag running around also myself - it was hard work to chase him still :) I saw some years ago Silverstar (I think it was him) described Firkraag running around panicking by Spook.

I often now use Spook in tutu with great effect :)

Perhaps using a Minor Sequencer with Spook is an idea?

Yeah, if Minor Sequencer perhaps Greater Malison and Spook. And if using Spell Sequencer then Greater Malison, Glitterdust, and Spook. I think I'd want to try to reduce saving throws as much as possible first to stand the best chance at success with panicking the target. Glitterdust can also blind, so it's kind of neat to have the target both blinded and panicked.

For 12th level caster versus saving throws that is (-4) + (-4) + (-6); also with -4 to attack rolls and -4 to AC. And blinded and panicked. Pretty sweet. Looks like a pretty decent spellcasting routine for a mage relatively early in the game.

(Btw, I would exploit having the enemy blinded and panicked by immediately following up with with additional delibiltating spells such as Contageon, Poison, Hold, Confusion, Symbol or Power Word: Stun, etc. Because the blindness and panic don't last all that long, and the higher level enemies have a lot of hit points!)

Btw, I just want to add, it took about half a dozen reloads to win. It was hardly easy--and I don't have the Smarter Dragons component installed. I've found dragons challenging enough in the vanilla game that I'm not sure if I could beat a dragon relatively early in the game with that component installed. (In a vanilla game sometimes I just lay eight traps and be done.) And similarly, Increased Staying Power for Dragons would be too tough for me also I'm sure. I just want a hardfought battle that I can ultimately win in around 5-10 tries using a reasonably clever strategy.

In another effort where I almost won, I successfuly cast Contagion on Fierkrag and there was something rather satisfying about that too. Unfortunately before I could take him out in that try he cast Dragon Breath and vaporized two party members. I had made him vulnerable with Breach, Greater Malison, Glitterdust, Doom, and Lower Resistance and he was either Badly Injured or Near Death. I was trying to cast DSotSC's excellent Thunderslap on him as a coup d' gras spell at the time. Oh well.

In the last two major battles in the game, I've managed to panic Tolgerius and Fierkrag with the lowly level 1 spell Spook. I had never really bothered using the spell much in all these years. But I've recently found the occassion with SCSII. SCSII has forced me to exhaust a lot of other spells trying to bring down enemy spell protections and eventually incapcitate the opponent. Anyway, there's something satisfying about seeing a great red wyrm's circle turn yellow and then have him run and (literally) quiver in a corner. I think I'll be using the spell more often now.

I agree. Playing scsII has changed my spell casting tactics. Seeing how effective some low level spells are on my own party, I've turned the tables on my enemies and used them to a good effect. It's quite enjoyable, and breathes new life into a game that I've played since it came out.

Horror, a level 2 spell, is a favourite of mine, because of its area of effect. I remember getting Firkraag with it. Pure guy was running around in circles getting hacked to death.

When fighting dragons, I usually cast 3 remove magics followed by a breach, and then greater malison and doom. And then horror, chaos etc. Sometimes insect plague too.

Horror, a level 2 spell, is a favourite of mine, because of its area of effect. I remember getting Firkraag with it. Pure guy was running around in circles getting hacked to death.

When fighting dragons, I usually cast 3 remove magics followed by a breach, and then greater malison and doom. And then horror, chaos etc. Sometimes insect plague too.

Memo to self: use anti-fear magic in dragon buffs.

Some SCSII dragons use it: Saladrex, Carnifex, Anadramatis, Tamah, Abazigal.

I've got to try that out. You know, the problem is, SOA takes so long and is so good, that by the time I get to TOB I dont really want to play anymore. Plus, TOB really isnt all that amazing (although I have yet to try your Wheels Of Prophecy mod, I heard its really good).

Memo to self: use anti-fear magic in dragon buffs.

Please don't make it virtually impossible. It's fun and gratifying for the player that you can pull this off. Mind you, I also had to use a bevy of protection removing spells to get Spook to succeed. You still have to battle the dragon while you're trying to get those spells off. It's just rather neat to see it work.

OK, lower all dragon's saving throws by 6, to avoid silliness from Spook. :)

Having a hilarious but ultimately cheap win from a first level spell is good once, after that, detonating a perfectly prepared an executed spell sequence is simply awesome.

Icen

Archived