looking for developers for Version 2 [Level One NPCs]

Azazello

Hello all.

I posted a 'Help Wanted' "ad" for coders/modders to maintain the L1NPC code [link]. Instead of relying just on bug-fixing, I decided that a code 'reboot' is needed to keep the mod scalable.

The livelihood of the mod will continue to depend on all of us to contribute in whatever way we can, in terms of finding bugs or compatibility issues, or suggestions for improvement.

As well, it's important to have a dedicated development team to ensure the mod can grow with the community's desires and expectation.

If you meet the project requirements and have an interest in joining, feel free to comment here. There's no timeline or limit for the project, so we'll keep the request open until a development team is found.

err... what? can you PM me Nythrun's permission, please?
Is that really an issue here as the read me says:
You are free to ... remix (adapt) this work, except for commercial purposes. If you claim you wrote it, the authors may choose to mock you gently. :)

Let's call it a courtesy to a woman who has taken a very long, very hard to code group of ideas into being, who has done this to help out the same guy who is now saying, basically...

1. Blucher had an idea and created a mod,

2. Azzy thought it would be cool to extend it to incorporate lots of player choice

3. So Nythrun did the impractical and improbable and spent all the development time to build it, to his specifiations and beyond,

4. But due to RL she has not been around much, so now Azzy has more ideas and feels that the mod can be improved on,

5. So Azzy is asking for someone or a group of someones to rebuild the same mod idea into a different mod, but with the same name... only removing her name from it.

yep, it is a problem.

Azazello is a good dude, and wants to get good things done for the community, but the result looks a little... non-kosher?

Let's call it a courtesy to a woman who has taken a very long, very hard to code group of ideas into being, who has done this to help out the same guy who is now saying, basically...

1. Blucher had an idea and created a mod,

2. Azzy thought it would be cool to extend it to incorporate lots of player choice

3. So Nythrun did the impractical and improbable and spent all the development time to build it, to his specifiations and beyond,

4. But due to RL she has not been around much, so now Azzy has more ideas and feels that the mod can be improved on,

5. So Azzy is asking for someone or a group of someones to rebuild the same mod idea into a different mod, but with the same name... only removing her name from it.

yep, it is a problem.

Azazello is a good dude, and wants to get good things done for the community, but the result looks a little... non-kosher?

I'm not sure what's "non-kosher" about this...Nythrun is the coder but I am the mod's caretaker and I see a need to keep the mod updated.

I also see no discourtesy here (where did that come from?), which I would never do to someone who volunteered her help and time and brainpower to make a dream come true.

I have sent her, and you, an email.

Well, I see nothing bad about trying to improve something, that already has been improved by erik...

Now, I would not remove, and I doubt Azazello would, remove Nythruns name from the mods author list, as the code is most probably still going to rely on the already made set quite much... or Nythrun could mock Azazello gently. And there is something to be feared.

--------------------

So in conclusion, cmorgan was just reacting on bad choice of words.

Well, I see nothing bad about trying to improve something, that already has been improved by erik...

Now, I would not remove, and I doubt Azazello would, remove Nythruns name from the mods author list, as the code is most probably still going to rely on the already made set quite much... or Nythrun could mock Azazello gently. And there is something to be feared.

Yup, this is never gonna happen--I would never remove anyone's name from the list of contributors. In fact, I see Blucher as the grand-pappy of the mod, so his name should be on the list.

"Azzy"?

Please, "Az". My friends call me "Big A".

A rebuild-from-scratch is impractical. Primarily because it is large enough, and works well enough, that you'll find little enthusiasm for doing all the hard work one more time (16,000 lines at present). If it was a horrid buggy mess, I'd sympathise. But it frankly isn't. It does a hellish lot of tricky and tedious stuff in equal measure, and it works.

It could do with a good spring cleaning, of course. But redoing it? Ain't gonna happen. :rolleyes:

A rebuild-from-scratch is impractical. Primarily because it is large enough, and works well enough, that you'll find little enthusiasm for doing all the hard work one more time (16,000 lines at present). If it was a horrid buggy mess, I'd sympathise. But it frankly isn't. It does a hellish lot of tricky and tedious stuff in equal measure, and it works.

It could do with a good spring cleaning, of course. But redoing it? Ain't gonna happen. :mwaha:

Until it happens. :rolleyes:

It's not that the mod needs to be condemned and knocked down. I hope I have given that impression inference; if so, my apologies.

I know I haven't even implied that it's seriously buggy, so if anyone wants to start flaming, let's cut that out right now.

The smallest part of the code is for kit/class assignment. That code is "simple" (notice I didn't say "easy"), has been around for years, and can be recycled with little difficulty. Even a non-coder like me-self could do that.

The most challenging part of the code is allowing users to assign proficiencies, equipment, etc., and handling NPCs inconsistences. I believe those areas need significant work, much more than 'spring cleaning'. If it can be done thru an upscale of the existing base, sweet. If a redesign is needed, that's cool too.

Either way, it will happen.

Archived