Spell Revision - Enhancements

yarpen

After fierce and long discussion about Protection from Magic Weapons and Mantle spells I've said that even if Demi choose one's sides right (probably DavidW & Aranthyr) there could be a possible space for compatible with Spell Revision mini-mod which introduces alternative change. After that I've got probably interesting idea.

What do you think about creating something like a Spell Revision: Enhancements mod which would be a nice place for things like a:

- alternative versions of SR's solutions for spells (as Lesser Mantle)

- ideas/changes with limited compatibility (especially with SCS)

- experimental stuff, new code for testing

- stuff which would be troublesome when starter player would play with it (as Dimension door and chance for breaking game)

In our discussion many fine ideas where put off because they were too much extreme and AI wouldn't fully handle it. I think that Spell Revision Enhancements would be a nice placeholder for them - if Demi thinks that they are promising.

I know that it's probably a lot of work but that's just my suggestion.

After fierce and long discussion about Protection from Magic Weapons and Mantle spells I've said that even if Demi choose one's sides right (probably DavidW & Aranthyr) there could be a possible space for compatible with Spell Revision mini-mod which introduces alternative change. After that I've got probably interesting idea.

What do you think about creating something like a Spell Revision: Enhancements mod which would be a nice place for things like a:

- alternative versions of SR's solutions for spells (as Lesser Mantle)

- ideas/changes with limited compatibility (especially with SCS)

- experimental stuff, new code for testing

- stuff which would be troublesome when starter player would play with it (as Dimension door and chance for breaking game)

In our discussion many fine ideas where put off because they were too much extreme and AI wouldn't fully handle it. I think that Spell Revision Enhancements would be a nice placeholder for them - if Demi thinks that they are promising.

I know that it's probably a lot of work but that's just my suggestion.

If this was directed to Demi in particular then I apologize. Here are my thoughts on the benefits and drawbacks:

I don't know how many people will be installing SR, but multiple options for a mod like this can sometimes generate confusion regardless of the strength and number of disclaimers. Make sure that you make it exceptionally clear that any potential addon pack would break compatibility with some AI-altering mods that deal with spell use. It might also be useful to have such a pack not as an alternative optional upgrade to SR but as a way to test certain tricky spell modifications "in the wild" before incorporating them in the main SR pack and see how AI modifications such as SCS handles them. What it definitely should not be is a dump for all of the potential spell changes that some people disagree with Demi in implementing for reasons other than incompatibility. It is also more difficult to offer support to users with problems when you are maintaining two separate mod varieties.

You're right Kalindor. Perhaps it should at most be some code copypasted from the forums into a debug file (or where it has to be put).
The best place is deprecated BEGIN's in the .tp2 file, as then it can't be installed without knowledge of how to remove the heading. Or

/*BEGIN 
 END*/

Well, I'd prefer to not call it "SR - enhancements". :rolleyes: It sounds as "hey, look what Demi should have done!" :)

Anyway, I may "support" a separe mini-mod like that to a certain extent, but only in the terms specified by Kalindor. I won't actively work on something like that anytime soon though, because the next week I should finally be able to mod again and very few things are holding back V3 once again (e.g. I do wanted to finish the discussions concerning the whole "combat/spell protections vs. spell removals", especially now that DavidW is back and working on SCSII), but after that I'll be working almost exclusively to IR V3.

Archived