Dragon Age Portraits v5 Available

The DA character creator has limited ability to portray Asian faces. The aesthetics might not suit your taste, but I assure you, Yoshimo's portraits are assigned as intended. I am not claiming to be infallible. It is very easy to make copy/paste errors. It's just that in this case, there is no error, you just don't like it. Here is the actual tp2 code.

/* Yoshimo */
BEGIN ~Yoshimo 1 (clean-shaven)~ 
SUBCOMPONENT ~Yoshimo Portraits~ 
REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar0083.are~ ~SoA is required to install this component~
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS ~data/bg1are.bif~ THEN BEGIN // BGT
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END ELSE BEGIN 
ACTION_IF FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~aerie.cre~ THEN BEGIN // BG2
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos1s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END
 END

BEGIN ~Yoshimo 2 (mustache)~ 
REQUIRE_PREDICATE FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~ar0083.are~ ~SoA is required to install this component~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END ELSE BEGIN 
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos2s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END
 END

BEGIN ~Yoshimo 3 (mustache and earring)~ 
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END ELSE BEGIN 
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3l.bmp~  ~override/nyoshiml.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3m.bmp~  ~override/nyoshimm.bmp~
  COPY ~da_portraits/bmp/yoshimo/b_yos3s.bmp~  ~override/nyoshims.bmp~
END
 END

You can confirm it for real by looking at the portraits page, which can be found here.

Really, there is no accounting for player preferences. If you don't like the mod, uninstall it. There are a lot of portrait mods out there. Perhaps one of them will suit your tastes better. If not, you could always make your own, or just assign portraits yourself using ShadowKeeper or another saved-game editor.

Guest Corben

I did confirm it with the portraits page. Yoshimo without a doubt has Montaron's portrait. I swear on Bioware's entire catalog. I actually like the portraits a lot. I'm just trying to figure this out. But thanks for your help and time.

I wonder what could possibly have happened to the archive you downloaded, then, since nobody else seems to be having this issue. I have heard of corrupted downloads before, but I have never heard of one that would swap portraits from one folder to another and rename them to match. Yoshimo is a regular in my party, as is Minsc, so I would definitely have noticed if they had the wrong portraits. I'll double-check when I get home, but right now, this is looking like it's April Fools' Day.

I'd be curious to see a screenshot.

Berelinde, is there any chance you could post a rough guide on how to export portraits from dragon age and import them into BG2? Things like where dragon age stores its image files and what they have to be resized to etc. I guess small, medium, and large versions just go into the portraits directory in BG2 but there also seem to be certain naming conventions like b_ etc. I'd also like to know how to just manually install your images in case I have trouble with the installer (as I recently did until I found the 'weidu.exe --update-all' trick). Also, when installing your portraits, I can't figure out how to choose which portraits replace the in-game npcs like minsc and korgan and jaheira etc and which are available for player created characters. BTW, I think your portraits are great. I always use them. But, I would like to have some additional choices of my own creation and the dragon age character editor is the best I have ever seen. It's the only thing I actually liked about that game.

Edited by gojirasan

The portraits are nothing more than cropped screen shots.

Small portraits should be 38 x 60 pixels and saved as an 8-bit BMP. The name should be no more than 8 characters long and should end in S.

Medium portraits should be 110 x 170 pixels and saved as a 24-bit BMP. The name should be no more than 8 characters long and should end in M.

Large portraits should be 210 x 330 pixels and saved as a 24-bit BMP. Since these portraits are only used for the epilogues, you will need to look up the name for each portrait.

The tp2 is probably pretty confusing, but that's where you'll find the most info about the various naming conventions in BG2. For example, if you want to assign a new portrait set for Minsc, you should name the small portrait nminscs.bmp, the medium portrait nminscm.bmp, and the large portrait... I don't remember. I think It's nminscg.bmp.

When you are making your own portraits for use by the PC, it's easiest to put something like a __ in frong of a short word like __felf so that all your portraits will be together and easy to find.

Hope this answered your questions. :)

just stepping in for a moment....

there is one possibility that is causing some if not all of the mix up....

each joinable character has 1 or 2 backup portraits (other character joinable npc portraits) assigned in case the player chooses one of the portraits for themselves. If the mod is overriding the default image file rather than changing the portrait assigned on the creature file, then when the player chooses one of the portraits from the mod for their PC it will affect some if not all the other joinable npcs.

also the link to the preview page of the portraits is returning a 404 error.

I'm pretty sure that the "mixup" person was trolling. For BG2 portraits, the mod assigns portraits using the "nminsc" naming scheme. The "backup" portraits are assigned the "minsc" naming scheme. So, if you pick Minsc's default portrait, Minsc gets assigned his BG1 look. And yeah, the preview page would return a 404 due to the site restructure. It's one of the things we haven't gotten around to yet. The portraits are in the gallery, for the time being.

This may be completely random, but while I was doing some image searchi g on my hard drives, I accidentally included my entire game directory instead of just my BG2 directory, I found out, quite by accident, that for ecery save game in Dragon Age, two .png files are created: one transparent png with the main character's head icon, without the background and frame, and one full body shot in armour from the inventory screen.

I am only mentioning this here because I read you used screenshots to make your pack? I'm not sure of the size of the png files, but at least for the transparent ones - it is a potential way you could finagle putting in custom (non-DAO) backgrounds in DAO portraits, as well as freezing the faces in a particular expression, such as a smile or a scowl, as well as tightly controlling the view angle and level of zoom those faces have. What I'm not sure of is how scalable they are since they are for the DAO icons, which I seem to remember are not too big.

If all of this is not interesting or helpful at all, just ignore me. :-)

The resolution of those two PNG files is really too low to do much with them. Also, It would have involved starting a few hundred games. Not something I was really enthusiastic about doing. This was kind of a side project to keep me from climbing the walls when I had the flu and was too sick to write. I probably shouldn't have released it at all, but everybody needs a little variety from time to time.

I keep thinking that one day, I'm going to come up with some kind of Forgotten Realms tarot deck with NPCs from BG, BG2, and maybe a few notables from the lore, but it never happens. Mostly because it would involve actually painting something, which I find frustrating.

Oh, I disagree there. One of the biggest beefs I have with mods (and the reason I do portraits at all) is the inconsistency between artwork in mods, particularly in portraiture. Even if two different mod portraits are both "good works of art" if they are in two completely different styles, or one has the wrong perspective or size or something, or worse yet, Jude Law *again*, it drives me up the wall! Using the DAO character editor is a clever way to overcome that, and the style will be guaranteed to match no matter what. I am pretty sure there are more people just like me out there who like this idea. The only critique I would have given if the project were not already complete would be to download a hairdye and/or style mod for DAO to give more portrait options for when the NPC mods pile up, and they always seem to ;) But even without that, it's a great idea.