Comments/observations on run with IR, SR, SCS2

Guest Incantatar

Ruby Ray of Reversal

-There seems to be something wrong with mage duels. I'm fighting Deirex the lich. He casts several energy protection, Simulacrum, II, PfMW and SI:Div at the start of the battle. I cast Ruby Ray of Reversal right on top of him. This should dispel SI:Div since it's the only Spell Protection but it doesn't get dispelled. I tried it several times, sometimes he casts SI:A at the start and even then RRR has no effect on it. True Sight/Remove Magic just shows "Spell Ineffective".
Hoping it's not caused by SCS, let's see what else it can be...

Are you sure the target doesn't move after you cast the spell? Because anti-magic removals with AoE projectiles don't follow their target if it moves, and may miss it. I'll try to double-check RRR's projectile to be sure nothing is wrong, but it shouldn't.

Is True Seeing the priest's one, or wizard's one? If it's the latter it should work on liches, unlees there's SI:Div.

Remove Magic should always work, except against SI:Abj.

If those spells are not correctly working (e.g. RM is ineffective even whe SI:Abj is not there) then I really fear it's something caused by SCS.

Kuo-toas

-In Near Infinity i can find 2 different Kuo-Toa priests, one lvl 10 the other lvl 12. It's strange that they always cast Sphere of Chaos which they shouldn't be able to cast, even NI's spell table says so.
Ehm, I can't do anything about it within my mods.

Melf Minute Meteors

-MMMs are always pre cast by SCS2 mages, though the player can't anymore with SR. (But I think you all know that.)
Yeah, I'll about restoring a longer duration, but I'm not sure.

Heh, just before you posted that i remembered the True Sight i cast is lvl 5 from which he is immune. Bummer, now i have no lvl 6 True Sight and the whole Underdark doesn't seem to have one. I'll try my luck with the Book of Infinite Spells then.

Another thing liches are immune to Sphere of Chaos, which i understand except the Berserk effect. Didn't know you can be immune to it. How can i myself be immune to it? :mad: (I have to admit i haven't even seen this effect of the sphere)

Sphere of Chaos

Another thing liches are immune to Sphere of Chaos, which i understand except the Berserk effect. Didn't know you can be immune to it. How can i myself be immune to it? :mad: (I have to admit i haven't even seen this effect of the sphere)
They are not immune to berserker effects? I'll add few EFF files to make sure SoC doesn't work on undead creatures, which are supposed to be immune to all mind-affecting spells.

I don't think players can be immune to berserker effects...though you do have spells to cure it.

P.S let me know about your issues with RRR or spell removals, it's quite important to be sure there's nothing wrong there

Something is still not right. Deirex had the SI:A routine, i cast RRR which showed "Spell protections removed". I cast Breach - nothing. And Breach should work against liches right?
You don't seem to have the appropriate SCS component installed. And SR doesn't let breach to affect liches, instead it makes Pierce Shield to work the similar way.

Liches

Something is still not right. Deirex had the SI:A routine, i cast RRR which showed "Spell protections removed". I cast Breach - nothing. And Breach should work against liches right?
No, liches are immune to 5th lvl spells. With SR you need Pierce Shield to breach his combat protections. Only if you install SCS's More inConsistent Breach such spell can bypass the immunity.

I'm glad to know RRR worked though, I suppose you didn't know its AoE wasn't following the target before...

Liches
No, liches are immune to 5th lvl spells. With SR you need Pierce Shield to breach his combat protections. Only if you install SCS's More inConsistent Breach such spell can bypass the immunity.

I'm glad to know RRR worked though, I suppose you didn't know its AoE wasn't following the target before...

Oh good to know about Breach. I thought you implemented the SCS2 spell tweak. Would be good if a Pierce Shield scroll was available somewhere. I mean you are supposed to kill Deirex in the Underdark. Although it still sucks to be honest, since they really spam PfMW.

About RRR i'm not 100% sure, since after he cast Spell Turning RRR didn't dispel it. I will verify this again though.

Edit: True Sight from the book does not dispel his II, which could be that it's not lvl 6 or still RRR is not working. I see no good way of beating him like this so i will just cheat a TS scroll in, use it and see what happens.

Liches

Would be good if a Pierce Shield scroll was available somewhere.
Good idea, I think Ardanis is handling these sort of things for IR V3, if not, I'll get him to know.

I mean you are supposed to kill Deirex in the Underdark. Although it still sucks to be honest, since they really spam PfMW.
Well, you're supposed to kill Deirex if you're high lvl enough. :mad: Anyway, within SR PfMW lasts 3 rounds, thus you may wait for at least the first one (the first 18 seconds of the encounter).

About RRR i'm not 100% sure, since after he cast Spell Turning RRR didn't dispel it. I will verify this again though.
Uff, as soon as I've finished all the work on fiends I'll test it myself if necessary. The projectile seems fine though, thus it should really work.

Edit: True Sight from the book does not dispel his II, which could be that it's not lvl 6 or still RRR is not working. I see no good way of beating him like this so i will just cheat a TS scroll in, use it and see what happens.
Yep, Book of Infinite Spells' TS is 5th lvl, I may make it use the 6th lvl one within V3 (I'm already improving its spell selection).

http://img822.imageshack.us/i/baldr021.png/ His starting buffs.

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/baldr020.png/ My futile attempt of debuffing. (Note that "spell ineffective could be from Viconia's blades. Still nothing shows in the log then and his Simulacrum and Misled don't get dispelled.)

Simulacrum is not dispelled by True Seeing. Are you using Dispel/Remove Magic against those illusions?
http://img822.imageshack.us/i/baldr021.png/ His starting buffs.

http://img44.imageshack.us/i/baldr020.png/ My futile attempt of debuffing. (Note that "spell ineffective could be from Viconia's blades. Still nothing shows in the log then and his Simulacrum and Misled don't get dispelled.)

Simulacrum is not dispelled by True Seeing. Are you using Dispel/Remove Magic against those illusions?

I was not able to target him with spells.

I tried again where he used his SI:A routine and fired a Bolt of Glory at him. No damage. It's lvl 6 and it's divine damage which can't be protected against.

lol SCS2 alone never gave me such a headache.

Edit2: i give up. No chance, since i can not hinder him from summoning 2 Pit Fiends and casting Remove Magic.

I was not able to target him with spells.
You can't directly target a Misleaded target.

I tried again where he used his SI:A routine and fired a Bolt of Glory at him. No damage. It's lvl 6 and it's divine damage which can't be protected against.
Actually from your screenshot I get that he's protected by Protection from Magic Energy, and divine damage is magic damage.

lol SCS2 alone never gave me such a headache.
No offense intended but until I find if RRR is not working all the other "issues" you had would be there without SR too, because they are well established spells behaviours (e.g. Bolt of Glory not working against Protection from Magic Energy, 5th lvl True Seeing not working on liches, ...).

Edit2: i give up. No chance, since i can not hinder him from summoning 2 Pit Fiends and casting Remove Magic.
If he doesn't have Spell Trap try using Secret Word, it should work (it has power lvl 0, thus ignore lich's immunity).

Edit: I don't know what went wrong, but i tried it again and now it works. It sounds strange but restarting the game changed something.

Don't call me an idiot, i'm certain it didn't work before. :mad:

I managed Deirex and his Pit Fiends easily when i cheesily outwaited his 3 or 4 PfMWs. I hope i have soon the possibility to counter it because i hate cheating/cheesing.

Edit: I don't know what went wrong, but i tried it again and now it works. It sounds strange but restarting the game changed something.

Just to be sure, you tried RRR and it worked?

I managed Deirex and his Pit Fiends easily when i cheesily outwaited his 3 or 4 PfMWs. I hope i have soon the possibility to counter it because i hate cheating/cheesing.
You need a 16th lvl mage to effectively fight liches, which isn't so strange considering they are 25th lvl undead casters.

Yes it did dispel SI and after that TS dispelled Mislead. It worked as it should.

You need a 16th lvl mage to effectively fight liches, which isn't so strange considering they are 25th lvl undead casters.

My PC is a lvl 16 conjurer (now 17) but i didn't come across Pierce Shield yet. Hey i once played a comprehensive German AD&D mod where liches were practically invulnerable with Rainbow Spheres. (http://www.knight.privat.t-online.de/WizSpell.html#WizSpl95) Pity it's not available in English for the rest of the world. I only want the knowledge of an definite way to counter all creatures. I allmost have a way against Beholders now. Since there is no more Farsight or Arcane Eye it involves somehow getting Viconias MR up (I really don't want to kill Adalon) and casting Project Image and Mislead with my PC. Confusion, AoE spells and summons as distraction are a good way to kill them.

Yes it did dispel SI and after that TS dispelled Mislead. It worked as it should.

Good news, though I'd still prefer to understand what was going on. Let's see if it happens again, hopefully not.

My PC is a lvl 16 conjurer (now 17) but i didn't come across Pierce Shield yet.
Unfortunately the only scrolls you can find are latr on, at Ribald's secret stash and Arcana Archives in ToB. One of the Drow selling spells there may indeed sell a scroll of it...I'll discuss it with Ardanis for IR.

Hey i once played a comprehensive German AD&D mod where liches were practically invulnerable with Rainbow Spheres. (http://www.knight.privat.t-online.de/WizSpell.html#WizSpl95) Pity it's not available in English for the rest of the world.
That probably was Prismatic Sphere, though how a similar spell can work in BG is a mistery to me. They probably had it work hugely different than in PnP.

I only want the knowledge of an definite way to counter all creatures. I allmost have a way against Beholders now. Since there is no more Farsight or Arcane Eye it involves somehow getting Viconias MR up (I really don't want to kill Adalon) and casting Project Image and Mislead with my PC. Confusion, AoE spells and summons as distraction are a good way to kill them.
What do you mean with "there are no more Farsight and Arcane Eye"? I didn't removed them.

Archived