Comments/observations on run with IR, SR, SCS2

Guest Incantatar

That's why I suggested to turn them all into NWN-like Spell Mantles spells, hoping to not scare too many players with the noticeable change. Ardanis kindly coded it, and I think he has already tested it too, though I don't know to which extent.

So, are they going to be like Spell Mantle or are they going to absorb AoE spells as Ardanis said a few posts back? It seems like the AoE protection would be enough to at least differentiate Spell Trap, if not Spell Turning, without having to change their functionality.

So, are they going to be like Spell Mantle or are they going to absorb AoE spells as Ardanis said a few posts back? It seems like the AoE protection would be enough to at least differentiate Spell Trap, if not Spell Turning, without having to change their functionality.
Due to technical limitations, it's not possible to differentiate between various spell protection types (deflection, turning, trap). Either none or all.

Then, Demi and others didn't like the idea of throwing a Fireball into the midst of wizards with Turning on and suffering xWizards damage back. So we decided to stick with Spell Trap and (Minor/Normal/Greater) Spell Deflection/Mantle, omitting Spell Turning completely. The latter, in fact, was almost never used to it's full potential anyway, since nobody tried to deplete it by casting on it. Deflection, on the other hand, allows for such tactic. As the last resort, when all antimagic is used up and we desperately need to Breach the bastard :blush:

I found a bug. Casting Dispel Magic on friendly Fiends makes them hostile.

It's either only the Clr spell or it's when a NPC who isn't the summoner casts it.

You seem to use fiends more often than Magic Missile! :blush: Anyway, this is almost surely because a) Dispel is flagged as "hostile" spell, b) fiends are scripted to turn hostile when directly attacked or affected by hostile spells. I'll lokk into it.
You seem to use fiends more often than Magic Missile! :blush: Anyway, this is almost surely because a) Dispel is flagged as "hostile" spell, b) fiends are scripted to turn hostile when directly attacked or affected by hostile spells. I'll lokk into it.

Hehe, the most cast spell is still CLW even if i don't have it anymore.

They don't turn hostile when my Conjurer casts DM on them. It happens when Anomen casts his DM.

Edit:

The targeting of Efreeti is a bit off. They throw their Fireballs recklessly around making them more a nuisance than a help. (I use the Efreeti bottle)

Also was Dispel Magic now supposed to make summoned Fiends hostile or was it not intended? I don't think it should, but i take your word for it. (Need to know because i reloaded and thus don't know if it was ok with the no-reload challenge rules)

Cleric's Dispel Magic

Hehe, the most cast spell is still CLW even if i don't have it anymore.

They don't turn hostile when my Conjurer casts DM on them. It happens when Anomen casts his DM.

Also was Dispel Magic now supposed to make summoned Fiends hostile or was it not intended? I don't think it should, but i take your word for it. (Need to know because i reloaded and thus don't know if it was ok with the no-reload challenge rules)

"Not intended". Only cleric's Dispel was flagged as hostile. The latest hotfix (uploaded a minute ago) makes it non-hostile like all others dispelling abilities.

Even Dispel may be slightly exploitable if not flagged as hostile imo, but in this case I suppose the issues (e.g. commoners would turn hostile if affected) may be worse than that.

Efreeti

The targeting of Efreeti is a bit off. They throw their Fireballs recklessly around making them more a nuisance than a help. (I use the Efreeti bottle)
It's the intended behaviour actually, as Efreet's behaviour is supposed to be only partially friendly (they are evil beings, not fully subjugated to the caster). It's also a sort of balancing feature, because Efreet are slightly more powerful than Djinn.
Cleric's Dispel Magic

"Not intended". Only cleric's Dispel was flagged as hostile. The latest hotfix (uploaded a minute ago) makes it non-hostile like all others dispelling abilities.

Even Dispel may be slightly exploitable if not flagged as hostile imo, but in this case I suppose the issues (e.g. commoners would turn hostile if affected) may be worse than that.

Thanks for the fix. I need to reinstall to make it work right?

Efreeti

It's the intended behaviour actually, as Efreet's behaviour is supposed to be only partially friendly (they are evil beings, not fully subjugated to the caster). It's also a sort of balancing feature, because Efreet are slightly more powerful than Djinn.

That makes sense.

Cleric's Dispel Magic

Thanks for the fix. I need to reinstall to make it work right?

Yes, sorry. As usual unless you're familiar with editors like NI it's better if you re-install, because some string references may need to be re-set. In this case I also slihgtly alter few descriptions (spell removals), and you should manually change them if you don't re-install.

Archived