Please help me create three swords for BGII

ericp07

After changing the color values for the colorglow pulse effect in each item, I can now equip the +5 version, but not the +2 or +3 in-game. Don't know why that is. Any ideas?
Without seeing the *NI corrupted* items, no... so you might as well upload them to www.mediafire.com and let me have a look.

Now, instead of saying "Poisoned," the combat text simply states that the target takes 1 point of damage each time the effect takes effect :mad: Not sure how to make the string say Bleeding, so I'll go back to NI and look.
Well, does the character need to say that it's bleeding, as it would do that naturally by loosing hit points( and thus bleeding)... I think Wisp meant it to be so.
Now, instead of saying "Poisoned," the combat text simply states that the target takes 1 point of damage each time the effect takes effect :mad: Not sure how to make the string say Bleeding, so I'll go back to NI and look.

It's easy enough to add a string notification to the weapon if you want one. Easy stuff like this is also good for learning.

You can e.g. use

COPY_EXISTING yoursword.itm override //or COPY or whatever
 LAUNCH_PATCH_FUNCTION ADD_ITEM_EFFECT 
INT_VAR
  opcode = 139 //display string
  target = 2   //the guy you hit
  parameter1 = 54355 //string: Bleeding
  //etc if needed (probability1 is 100 by default)
  //there are plenty of items using opcode 139 on hit (e.g. miscbc) to look at for seeing how the opcode can be set up
 END

After changing the color values for the colorglow pulse effect in each item, I can now equip the +5 version, but not the +2 or +3 in-game. Don't know why that is. Any ideas?
Without seeing the *NI corrupted* items, no... so you might as well upload them to www.mediafire.com and let me have a look.

Well, does the character need to say that it's bleeding, as it would do that naturally by loosing hit points( and thus bleeding)... I think Wisp meant it to be so.

Let's see if this works:

Dagnir en Tigin +2

Dagnir en Tigin +3

Dagnir en Tigin +5

As for the text accompanying the bleeding effect, I guess it's not necessary. The effect works, and that's what's important.

Thanks,

Eric

I don't understand why NI behaves the way it does, sometimes preserving perfectly functioning files, while other times messing things up.
They're called bugs, yo.

In general, we should give you byte-for-byte the resource on disk, except you can lose (meaningless) data inside string values (any memory junk past the terminating null won't get preserved, for instance if you try to View as Hex a string or resref list item).

File corruption these days should be limited to adding and removing certain types of structures under certain conditions. We should never break something that is simply edited (we will allow you to break the file all by yourself, however).

I don't understand why NI behaves the way it does, sometimes preserving perfectly functioning files, while other times messing things up.
They're called bugs, yo.

In general, we should give you byte-for-byte the resource on disk, except you can lose (meaningless) data inside string values (any memory junk past the terminating null won't get preserved, for instance if you try to View as Hex a string or resref list item).

File corruption these days should be limited to adding and removing certain types of structures under certain conditions. We should never break something that is simply edited (we will allow you to break the file all by yourself, however).

In other words, that's life. OK. I'll get in the habit of making extra back-up copies of files, maybe create before-and-after versions whenever I want to change something. I'm already getting into the habit of applying one change at a time and testing before proceeding.

Thanks,

Eric

On a related note, I need to set up two encounters, in AR1100, with a non-joinable NPC, Sudeiman (EP#Sudei). My joinable NPC, Meleryn (EP#Mel), must be in-party, and GlobalTimerExpired("EP#MalarDay","GLOBAL") must be true. The first meeting will have Sudeiman tell Meleryn that she must collect certain trophies from her hunt for custom creatures (Beasts of Malar and slightly modified werewolves), then bring them to him in exchange for a blessing that will enhance (upgrade) her scimitar named Dagnir en Tigin +2 (EP#DET2.itm). The second encounter will be the exchange of trophies for the +3 version of her scimitar, which will replace the +2 version.

Are there examples of this sort of thing that I could look at to discover how to set up the needed code in the appropriate files? To prepare for this, I've created AR1100.baf (to EXTEND_BOTTOM AR1100.BCS) for the NPC's spawning, EP#Sudei.baf for his script file, and EP#Sudei.d for his dialogue file. I can post the contents of whatever might be desired, if needed.

Thanks,

Eric

It's easy enough to add a string notification to the weapon if you want one. Easy stuff like this is also good for learning.

You can e.g. use

COPY_EXISTING yoursword.itm override //or COPY or whatever
 LAUNCH_PATCH_FUNCTION ADD_ITEM_EFFECT 
INT_VAR
  opcode = 139 //display string
  target = 2   //the guy you hit
  parameter1 = 54355 //string: Bleeding
  //etc if needed (probability1 is 100 by default)
  //there are plenty of items using opcode 139 on hit (e.g. miscbc) to look at for seeing how the opcode can be set up
 END

Added to my .tp2. This sort of thing will likely come up in the future, so it's good to have it now, for future reference :beer:

Thanks!

Eric

If the only change to the weapon is to it's magical attack bonus (enchantment in NI), why not make only one of the item (preferably made by someone who can use DLTCEP to make it) and change the magical attack bonus with WeiDU?

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override~

//usual naming and description stuff

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 2 //+2 version

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override/mysword2.itm~

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 3 // +3 version

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override/mysword3.itm~

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 5 // +5 version

If the only change to the weapon is to it's magical attack bonus (enchantment in NI), why not make only one of the item (preferably made by someone who can use DLTCEP to make it) and change the magical attack bonus with WeiDU?

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override~

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 2 //+2 version

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override/mysword2.itm~

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 3 // +3 version

COPY ~mymod/items/mysword1.itm~ ~override/mysword3.itm~

WRITE_BYTE 0x60 5 // +5 version

There are differences in the way the bleeding and regen-suppressing effects are supposed to work:

Poison effect

+2: damage amount = 2, HP damage is per round, time = 18, prob1 = 25

+3: damage amount = 2, HP damage is per round, time = 30, prob1 = 25

+5: damage amount = 1, HP damage is per second, time = 14, prob1 = 40

Regen-suppression effect

+2: time = 8

+3: time = 10

+5: time = 14

I wanted a different color for each colorglow pulse, but it appears that that won't work (I may have set it up wrong).

So, with the above in mind, it wouldn't be sufficient to create duplicates of the +2 item, and simply increase the enchantment bonus.

Thanks,

Eric

Yeah, the swords melee ability is totally corrupted, and so the DLTCP refuses to open the file... the question comes: Which version of Near Infinity are you using ? And you might wish to try with another...

I have the most current downloadable version of NI...on my main system. I just now noticed that the version on my back-up system HD is two years old. That might be the problem, if I'm using both to modify the same files. I didn't think to compare them before. So, I just now replaced the older version with the newer. I'll see what the .itm files look like now when I open them again.

Thanks,

Eric

Which version of Near Infinity are you using ?
I have the most current downloadable version of NI...
And that is? Yes, we are talking about numbers...

The NI v1.33 b20 .

I have no way to determine what version number I have for NI, as it's not shown in the information window (it's a .jar, and not an .app, so it doesn't include that information). Just to be on the safe side, I'll download from the link you've provided.

I've sorted out the colorglow pulse issue: red values are different for each item, but green and blue remain the same. This gives a more obvious visual effect. I also set the affected portion of the item to Head/Blade Minor.

Edit: OK, I've downloaded NI, but now I don't see how to launch it. Where before it was simply a .jar file, it's now a bunch of files and folders. I'm lost :mad:

Thanks,

Eric

Archived