Reinstalling NPC project and Beregost issues

Deedlit

Hi,i'm sorry for posting,but I found myself in need of asking some technical questions about the npc project;I'm using this topic since part of my questions are romance related,as well,but if needed I'll post in the right section.

I finally installed my boxset and,after doing all the required installing,patching,backuping,easytutuing and whatnot,I finally started to play;after a bit of playthrough,I decided that I wanted to adjust the romance timers,so I run the mod setup again,and this is when things went awry.

The module (npc project) refuses to be either reinstalled or uninstalled,saying that "this mod is too old (or too new) to uninstall that component for you" and then to upgrade and retry;I even tried downloading the latest version of weidu,but it doesn't install anything,it just shows a window with various text commands.

I had this same issue with another mod for BG2 as well (a component from 1 pixel production);so far the only thing I was able to uninstall was the Xan's alternative soundset.

My questions are:

-Is there a specific procedure to reinstall/uninstall modules?Is there a manual procedure to do that?

-Is there an in-game way to change mod-added romance timers (like change them from 1 hour to 45 or 30 minutes,like the installation does),maybe with the console?

Sorry again for disturbing,

Regards.

I even tried downloading the latest version of weidu,but it doesn't install anything,it just shows a window with various text commands.
Don't know why it gives that message, but to update the mod installer manually, you'd have to delete setup-bg1npc.exe, then copy and paste WeiDU.exe into your game folder. Rename the copy of WeiDU setup-bg1npc.exe.
-Is there a specific procedure to reinstall/uninstall modules?Is there a manual procedure to do that?
Just click on the mod's setup-*.exe and keep pressing [N]o change until you get to the component you want to [R]einstall or install (or something like that). Be aware that uninstalling a mod will uninstall and reinstall every other mod after it listed in your WeiDU.log. It does this to minimise breaking your game, but it could still happen if you do it and still use a game in progress from before you changed the component. Best practice is to start a new game if you do something like that. An even better practice is to start a fresh install with the mods you want the way you want, but that can be time-consuming.
Is there an in-game way to change mod-added romance timers (like change them from 1 hour to 45 or 30 minutes,like the installation does),maybe with the console?
You could try fooling around with GetGlobal and SetGlobal in the CLUAConsole and use the mod's documentation as a guide to which variables you might change but I can't promise anything. Dunno if that works with timers. I'd think someone like berelinde could answer that one better.
Is there an in-game way to change mod-added romance timers (like change them from 1 hour to 45 or 30 minutes,like the installation does),maybe with the console?
For the romance timers that is not possible. They are set at installation to the value you chose, and cannot be changed via console after that.

Jastey is right, but there is a hack you can use to change some of those timers any time you want, without installing/reinstalling as many times as you want, assuming you have not biffed the install, and have the file GTIMES.IDS in your override file - and depending on which of the bg1npcs you want to edit :blush:

(some more modern NPCs will follow the following, but for the vast majority of NPCs, this trick will not work, and Jastey's advice applies. Within bg1npc, this will not work for Ajantis - it will only work for some of his flirts which are coded this way, but works for all romance and flirt materials except for some initial Dynaheir, Shar-Teel, Xan, and Branwen talks, and completely works with all of Coran's materials).

[how to do it]

If you open the file GTIMES.IDS in notepad (NOT MS Word or a fancy wysiwyg editor), you can find the values that the in-game scripts have installed, and change their values. So, look for

2700 XAROM_TIMER

2700 SHROM_TIMER

2700 DYROM_TIMER

2700 COROM_TIMER

2700 BRROM_TIMER

and change them to whatever value you want by directly editing the number and saving, like

3600 XAROM_TIMER

2700 SHROM_TIMER

2700 DYROM_TIMER

600 COROM_TIMER

2700 BRROM_TIMER

Save the file, and load up your game. it is completely save-game compatible.

[why it works]

Scripts ingame actually use numbers - but they can also have a "pointer" value that is more human-understandable. When WeiDU installs these scripts, it converts the "pointer" value to a number, and that is that - so if you are using a script, setting the pointer has to happen by installing and de-installing. Basically, undoing the number and then resetting the number.

BUT.

Dialogs work differently. If you set the timer in a dialog file instead of in a script, the game resolves the "pointer" right then and there, looking up the value from whatever .ids file it is using for the particular action. It does not look for that value wen it is installed - it waits until it "sees" the text label (like DYROM_TIMER) and then it goes to gtimes.ids and finds the number associated with that poniter, and reads it in.

Heh. Found it. Here is the reference - CamDawg says it better.

http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?s...ost&p=58162

In most of BG1NPC, we use scripts to trigger talks, for example by using something like

RealGlobalTimerExpired("X#AjantisRomance","GLOBAL")

but most of the NPCs (not Ajantis for the main lovetalks and materials, but for Dynaheir, Shar-Teel, Coran, Xan, and Branwen) the way we set the timers is through dialog, like this:

IF WEIGHT #-2 ~%BGT_VAR% Global("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",2)~ THEN BEGIN X#DYLoveTalk1
SAY @0
++ @1 DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",DYROM_TIMER)~ + DYRO1.1
++ @2 DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",DYROM_TIMER)~ + DYRO1.2
++ @3 DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",DYROM_TIMER)~ + DYRO1.3
++ @4 DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",DYROM_TIMER)~ + DYRO1.4
++ @5 DO ~IncrementGlobal("X#DYLoveTalk","GLOBAL",1) RealSetGlobalTimer("X#DYLoveTalkTime","GLOBAL",DYROM_TIMER)~ + DYRO1.1
END

So, for scripts, you need to install/reinstall in order to make changes. But if you are setting the timers via dialog, and only checking that the timer is expired via script, any edits you make to the gtimes.ids value takes immediate effect in your game, and does not have any adverse effects.

(Note - if you do this, a point to remember when troubleshooting is that several of the bg1npc authors set the first lovetalk using script and the gtimes.ids "placeholder". That value will not change until you reinstall. So, for example, Dynaheir's first lovetalk and how quickly she responds to special circumstances will remain at whatever the installed value was; her regular lovetalks will follow whatever you edit into the gtiomes.ids "look-up".)

Most of the older tutorials suggest using scripts to set up the talk, and then to set the timer via script as well. This other method, "bouncing" from the script initiation to having the dialog advance the variable and set the timer, allows for some way-cool functionality like direct use of .ids files. It also has a distinct drawback... if a mod messes up the gtimes.ids or overwrites it leaving off DYROM_TIMER, you get timers with no value, which means the talks will just keep triggering in sequence until they run into some condition other than time!

First of all,thank you everyone for taking the time to answer and thank you berelinde for moving the topic;I must apologize for not having answered in a timely fashion,but since I wasn't notified in my email that the topic was progressing,I didn't notice it was in here until today,so I'm greatly sorry if I sounded ungrateful or indifferent :p

thank you Miloch for the explanation on how to update installers;I will be sure to try it next time!

and thank you cmorgan for your detailed explanation;I'm generally an idiot when it comes to coding (well,when it comes to most things tech related,heh!),but even if I don't understand the specifics,at least now I understand the mechanics behind it,so thank you!

Unfortunately in the meantime,since I didn't know what to do,I just decided to reinstall everything from scratch and do a new playthrough with a new character;on the bright side,the new character worked better and I was having a very good time,until.....

Bam!The infamous Beregost crash :(

Now,the problem is,my savegames work just fine:the real problem is I CANNOT access Beregost in chapter 3,at all and from wherever!I tried from the temple,from north nashkel,from friendly arm inn....nothing,it just crashed when trying to load Beregost (actually,the loading screen freezes,but the crash sound can be heard and I have to forcefully close the game everytime).

I even found the topic about the beregost fixer,but: 1) I can't seem to run it,even after downloading JRE and trying the command strings manually (probably I did something horribly wrong anyway,but the most I could do was seeing a dos window flashing for a split of second,then nothing happening) and 2)my savegames work,it's just entering Beregost the problem (unless the fixer adresses that,too and I red horribly wrong again).

In the meanwhile,I want to thank you for the hard work you all put in the project;you made me replay and LIKE a game that used to thraumatize me big time when I was young :p

Praises go to every writer for the wonderful banters,interjections,and talks;you've done a marvelous job and made me love almost all the characters (unfortunately,Jaheira is beyond any hope of redemption in my point of view,no hard feelings...),to the point that it's hard to make decisions on who to keep in party and who not...I wish I could take everyone with me :p

Special praises (no offense to the others!) go to the writer of Xan's romance:you seriously made me love a character that,initially,I wanted to slap (seeing as how my PC was having a hard time with gorion's loss and all the assasination attempts,and he goes pretty much "Well,just being in your company probably dooms everyone to meet a gruesome death" as in "Not that I'm implying it's your fault WHEN we die or that we will blame you even from the afterlife,and i'm totally not rubbing it in that your foster father died because of you,no ma'am",or so it sounded at first :blush: ) and ended up swaying me in a very masterful,sweet and,most of all,unexpected way!I even had some awesome talks that weren't in the guide: a lovely bonus for sure :laugh:

So now I'm standing here like an eager baby who can't play with her favourite toy;I hope there is a solution to this bug :(

In any event,thank you everyone from the bottom of my heart,both for the great job put in the project and your kindness and patience in answering me so far :laugh:

Regards and have a nice day!

P.S. I've read somewhere that a windows 7 user was experiencing a similar crash in Beregost and it was caused by the degreenifier installed AFTER the modules;although I use XP and I've installed the degreenifier before anything else,I was willing to try this,so I went into options and tried to disable 3d accelaration,as i've thought that green water is a minor thing to endure compared to another reinstall or starting over....again.

Turns out the directX test doesn't fire properly when I disable that option (in fact it freezes,and I had to forcefully shut it down by task manager),while it works perfectly fine with 3d acceleration on;problem is,if the test doesn't go well,it doesn't make me change options,so....

My question is,is there a way to uninstall the degreenifier without having to start over?

I'll keep trying what I can while I wait for answers,if anyone feels willing :blush:

Please prove Xan wrong when he says that I'm doomed and destined to fail :laugh:

Thanks anyway and sorry for pestering!

Um...something else to try...

Download Infinity Explorer, point it at your Easytutu directory, and find _AR3300.bcs. On a completely unmodded Easytutu install, it should look something like this:

IF

Global("Chapter","GLOBAL",3)

Global("ElminsterSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ElminsterSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

CreateCreature("_ELMIN2",[4710.3091],0)

Continue()

END

IF

OnCreation()

Global("ChloeSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

!Exists("chloe")

!Dead("chloe")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ChloeSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

CreateCreature("_CHLOE",[4127.2881],0)

Continue()

END

IF

Global("EnteredBeregost","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

StartMovie("_EREGOST")

SetGlobal("EnteredBeregost","GLOBAL",1)

END

IF

GlobalGT("CHAPTER","GLOBAL",3)

Exists("chloe")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ActionOverride("chloe",DestroySelf())

END

Um...something else to try...

Download Infinity Explorer, point it at your Easytutu directory, and find _AR3300.bcs.

Where is that supposed to be,exactly?I see a list of things,like areas,scripts,etc,as in the Nwn toolset....

Is there a procedure to open specific files inside it?And,if so,how does it work and where should that file be?

Among Areas,I don't have such a file...nothing named AR3300,only a FW3300.

In the meanwhile,I tried teleporting via cluaconsole,and it still crashes even like that....(only the crashing sound,screen is froze on loading screen with circle semi-filled).

Does that mean anything to you?I'm running out of ideas,and I still can't manage to make the fixer work :blush:

(Although,my saves load just fine,it's before entering beregost....and I could access beregost just fine before chapter 3...).

Found it,after a bit of trial&error!

This is what it looks like:

IF

Global("ElminsterSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ElminsterSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

CreateCreature("_ELMIN2",[4710.3091],0)

Continue()

END

IF

OnCreation()

Global("ChloeSpawn","GLOBAL",0)

!Exists("chloe")

!Dead("chloe")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

SetGlobal("ChloeSpawn","GLOBAL",1)

CreateCreature("_CHLOE",[4127.2881],0)

Continue()

END

IF

Global("EnteredBeregost","GLOBAL",0)

THEN

RESPONSE #100

StartMovie("_EREGOST")

SetGlobal("EnteredBeregost","GLOBAL",1)

END

IF

GlobalGT("CHAPTER","GLOBAL",3)

Exists("chloe")

THEN

RESPONSE #100

ActionOverride("chloe",DestroySelf())

END

Mods I have installed: npc project,npc project music,coran and Xan friendship,degreenifier for easytutu,amaurea's portraits,rupert the dye trader.

I still can't manage to make the BeregostCrashfixer to run,I tried installing the latest JRE,and even using the dos windows to input command strings,as showed here;if I try to open the file normally,it says main class not found,while it says it can't access anything from the dos window.

I even tried running the game 800x600 (i usually run it in 1024x768),but still it crashes;I would love to try the degreenifier thinghy,but I don't know if there's a way to uninstall it without having to start over,and apparently I can't run the game without 3d acceleration,because the test fails :blush:

So i'm at a loss,and i'm growing more and more depressed by the hour,since I can't play anymore :laugh:

Thanks a lot for your help in any event :laugh:

I even found the topic about the beregost fixer,but: 1) I can't seem to run it,even after downloading JRE and trying the command strings manually (probably I did something horribly wrong anyway,but the most I could do was seeing a dos window flashing for a split of second,then nothing happening) and 2)my savegames work,it's just entering Beregost the problem (unless the fixer adresses that,too and I red horribly wrong again).
That is exactly what the fixer addresses. Your best bet is to get it working by following the exact instructions here. That means uninstalling previous JRE versions (if you have any - should say in Add-Remove Programs or whatever the Win7 equivalent is in your Control Panel), installing the latest one, double-clicking on the .jar file after you install it... well basically what it says there. If none of that works, post exactly what the problem seems to be in that topic. Could be you have the game installed to Program Files which will cause you no end of problems in Win7 (install it anywhere else, like C:\Games).

You could also install Gavin which will fix the bug so it never happens. You don't need to have Gavin join if you don't want (but everyone loves him apparently :blush:). You would, however, need to use a save from before you visited Beregost for the first time. But then you would want to start a new game after installing just about any significant mod.

I don't think the Degreenifier or the area script is the problem. I'd try to fix your save first. You have the classic symptoms of that bug, which is definitely fixable nowadays.

[Edit: nevermind the Win7 references since you seem to be using XP - good choice... hopefully it's SP2 and not SP3 though... SP3 makes it more like Win7 unfortunately. But don't worry about that right now - try the other stuff first.]

That is exactly what the fixer addresses. Your best bet is to get it working by following the exact instructions here. That means uninstalling previous JRE versions (if you have any - should say in Add-Remove Programs or whatever the Win7 equivalent is in your Control Panel), installing the latest one, double-clicking on the .jar file after you install it... well basically what it says there.

I did exactly all that is listed in that topic I fear;basically it says it doesn't find main class,if I try to open it doubleclicking it (well,not exactly,since double clicking it runs my ovi suite...eh,stupid cellphone software...so I basically select the java.exe from the usual list of stuff...and yes,i've tried all java exes! :p),and if I try via DOS it says it can't access the file.I uninstalled previous versions and even the new version to run a second reinstall,restarted the computer as well...nothing,it really doesn't want to work :laugh:

You could also install Gavin which will fix the bug so it never happens. You don't need to have Gavin join if you don't want (but everyone loves him apparently :(). You would, however, need to use a save from before you visited Beregost for the first time. But then you would want to start a new game after installing just about any significant mod.

I wouldn't mind installing Gavin,but since berelinde said ToB content is not yet complete,but in progress (on the account that i want to do a full playthrough from BG1 through BGII),I decided to wait;and yes,avoiding a restart is exactly what I want to avoid honestly,seeing as how this is my FIFTH reinstall and i'm honestly growing a bit discouraged,no offense :laugh:

I don't think the Degreenifier or the area script is the problem. I'd try to fix your save first. You have the classic symptoms of that bug, which is definitely fixable nowadays.

[Edit: nevermind the Win7 references since you seem to be using XP - good choice... hopefully it's SP2 and not SP3 though... SP3 makes it more like Win7 unfortunately. But don't worry about that right now - try the other stuff first.]

I'm honestly not sure what SP i'm running,prolly the 3 though,I always update (i'm a clutz when it comes to tech,as I've mentioned,so I just mindlessly click "sure,go ahead and update");seeing as how I can't seem to run the beregostcrashfixer,then I guess "I'm doomed" ? :blush:

I'm overjoyed to announce I managed to fix the problem with running the Fixer (ha!Well,a friend of mine did :blush: at least for the java issue!);thank the heavens (and ascension!) the fixer addressed my savegame,and now I can go on happily with my playthrough,without having to reinstall!

Explanation of how I did it can be found HERE (currently last post or so)

Thanks to everyone who helped me so far *tosses flowers all around*

And one question just to keep up with my pesky status:I was trying to get the globals for Xan,inputing "X#XARomanceInactive", "X#XARomanceActive","X#XANMatch","X#XALoveTalk" (all with the ,"GLOBAL"),just to check if i'm not killing the romance or anything,but I can't seem to get the correct syntax,may I ask what should I input in the console exactly?

Again,thank you everyone and have a nice day :laugh:

Fantastic! Glad to hear that everything's working :laugh:

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XANMatch","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XALoveTalk","GLOBAL")

CLUAConsole:GetGlobal("X#XaRomance","GLOBAL")

Oh,great!I was missing the GetGlobal bit apparently :blush:

Thank you kindly Ipsy,as always you're the light that shines at the end of the tunnel :p

Now onward,to futility!

P.S. i'll ask here too,just to know: would it be possible to use the original VO soundset for Xan in BGII,too?Nothing against the VO in the BGII Xan mod,who did a great job,but I'm growing affectionate to the original one,and was just wondering :laugh:

Archived