IA v6 Final

Another examples how Sikret's getting rid of stuff he doesn't like:

Remember that nice house in the Bridge District with Valeria and her group? Guess what. The house in unaccessible any more.

It's probably part of some quest now (guessing, lol) or smtg (which means that the door will eventually open only for your vagrant or necro protag, suprise!)

No, the encounter and treasure inside had been erased. The door opens. But entering is impossible (no enter icon appears after pointing at the opened now house. Sad. There were quite a few nice scrolls in there and a Laeral's tear necklace, plus the fight was not that hard. Most probably Sikret thought of improving it, but decided it would be easier to simply erase the whole thing and don't bother with it anymore.

Yeah, possibly. I was writing in a bit of a hurry and I'm probably oversimplifying. I guess my point is just that the kind of testing cycle used in genuinely professional computer-game design is just not something that's realistically accessible for most mod-making. I actually think IA does have something close to that level of testing (it would fail a professional QA for being much too easy to break if you deviate from designer's intent). SCS certainly doesn't, and never claims to. There have been some embarassingly serious bugs in several of its releases.

Professional AAA games (and software in general) routinely come out with bugs comparable or worse than anything SCS has ever made.

No, the encounter and treasure inside had been erased. The door opens. But entering is impossible (no enter icon appears after pointing at the opened now house. Sad. There were quite a few nice scrolls in there and a Laeral's tear necklace, plus the fight was not that hard. Most probably Sikret thought of improving it, but decided it would be easier to simply erase the whole thing and don't bother with it anymore.

It's possible to completely disable the travel trigger and re-enable it later.

Also, pickpocketing is indeed useless, since after robbing the whole Athkatla, all that was really gained was some gold after selling the not-so-amazing items. Random item slots have been revised, and in the place of once-good random spell scrolls like ProEnergy, Spell Sequencer, Mordy Sword, PW:Stun, etc, etc, now are scrolls like Friends, Color Spray and MM. Most notable good random scrolls I've found so far were Invisible Stalker, True Sight and Fireshield Red. No more free Permanency scrolls...

I don't remember any random Permanency scrolls but I knew of 2 Permanency Scrolls and 1 Manual of Elaboration that were pick pocketable early in the game (some of them only available after starting and before finishing certain quests). Are those really gone? If so I wonder why.

The screaming statue in temple sewers lvl 3 with spiders and Wandering horrors? No longer works.

From the IA 'Tactical Content & New adventures" document:

- Improved Screaming Statue (this challenge remains available as long as your protagonist has

less than 2,350,000 xp)

Yeah, possibly. I was writing in a bit of a hurry and I'm probably oversimplifying. I guess my point is just that the kind of testing cycle used in genuinely professional computer-game design is just not something that's realistically accessible for most mod-making. I actually think IA does have something close to that level of testing (it would fail a professional QA for being much too easy to break if you deviate from designer's intent). SCS certainly doesn't, and never claims to. There have been some embarassingly serious bugs in several of its releases.

Professional AAA games (and software in general) routinely come out with bugs comparable or worse than anything SCS has ever made.

Yes indeed. Anyone played NWN2? It had a patch released on the release day of the game. And that wasn't just to fix some fancy things.

OK I don't know TF2's story but I assume it was buggy as hell, yes?

Basically, every 'large' patch (adding new content or balance revisions) is followed by two to five minor patches fixing all things that were broken in the large patch (or even the sub-patches). This cycle has been repeating approx. every three months for the last three years. At least, I'm not paying money for the privilege ;)

And I don't know of any early-game Manuals of Elaboration, but instead know 3 early Permanency scroll locations (all pickpocketable) in IA 5.0 - Renal Bloodscalp, Berinvar in Harper Hold (before Xzar quest is finished) and a Priest of Oghma in their temple (Dock district again). Those locations are empty now - checked, even double checked by killing the named npcs.

I remember playing SoA and NWN before they were patched. The first had some pretty serious bugs (Underdark stuttering, Jaheira's romance, avatar of Amaunator not spawning, etc), the second was less than a beta: broken quests, broken dialogues, save file corruption which could (and usually would) fubar your game.

Besides, I don't think Sikret meant the word "professional" literally. IA isn't a commercial product, as far as I know, and Sikret isn't a game designer. More likely, he meant that other mods suck.

Personally, I think that several recent mods (SCS, RR, Kelsey and a few others) are definitely on par with "professional" content, quality-wise. IA, on the other hand, isn't.

PS: just wtf is a PROFESSIONAL BG2 PLAYER?

Basically, every 'large' patch (adding new content or balance revisions) is followed by two to five minor patches fixing all things that were broken in the large patch (or even the sub-patches).

It needs a pro... tf2 needs sikret as maintainer. No more bugs & failures ;)

Archived