IA v6 Final

As for no-reload, I have a minor quibble that it's more classically considered that you do it all at once, as opposed to practicing one battle at a time until you get it right, then doing it with your "OK no reload now, this time it's for real" game. But yeah, the exploit stuff is what really invalidates it IMO.

I actually poked around Bodhi... you can do the initial floor of her lair and then leave once it's cleared, so I did that, saved, and tried her basement. And yeah, figured I'd save it for later.

I skipped 2 battles thus far, which were two of the only battles forced upon you at a time not of your convenience. Are there others like this in the game? These are the only two I knew of. It was a calculated risk; figured I didn't need the items (I still don't think I'm too interested in the spider figure, I feel like there's better ways to spend a one-per-round action), and hopefully the experience won't be too important. Maybe I'll get lucky and pull the 1,000,000 card from the Deck of Many Things, who knows.

By the way, your opinions look like the match up with my guesses pretty well with respect to the upgrades, with a few exceptions:

I think Jan's weapon upgrade is pretty spectacular. The improved flasher launchers are awesome. And it's fairly cheap.

I think Mazzy's upgrade would be great. I'm not sure how available it is (a quick scan of NearInfinity makes me think that the only +3 Short Sword available in SoA is in the assassin fight at Firk's cave, which I've heard is pretty tough and not an immediately-after-Spellhold thing). I'd love it if you could upgrade a +2 short sword into a +3 like you can do with other weapons. In any case, the Slow effect is pretty awesome, and even against the typical awesome saves of IA enemies, it would connect more than the 33% rate of the vanilla FoA.

I think the Golem Slayer may be useful if it's usable by a Fighter dualed to a Mage. Otherwise, yeah, 2 attacks per round at best from a hasted mage makes it worthless.

@mikel123: many creatures are immune to missile, so be warned when thinking about flasher launcher....short sword +3, you have the one as reward for Reynald bloodscalp mission (kill maevar) in SoA. Side comment on items made, I would not judge staff of strength useless at all (and its upgrade is even better)...

I skipped 2 battles thus far, which were two of the only battles forced upon you at a time not of your convenience. Are there others like this in the game?

Yes, if you're a Necromancer/other mage or Vagrant/good aligned fighter. But you can choose not to fight, and give items away as well.

It was a calculated risk; figured I didn't need the items (I still don't think I'm too interested in the spider figure, I feel like there's better ways to spend a one-per-round action), and hopefully the experience won't be too important.

Kruin gives lots of gold from golem slaying, potions etc. Sword is useless, I agree.

Spider Figurine is shit. Killing the Spider Queen is easy, however, you only need Imp.Haste, decent saves, Prot from Evil, imp.Invisibility on all fighters and +4 weapons. Throw in ADHWs and Chain Lightnings.

Maybe I'll get lucky and pull the 1,000,000 card from the Deck of Many Things, who knows.

You won't. That option doesn't exist in IA.

I think Mazzy's upgrade would be great. I'm not sure how available it is (a quick scan of NearInfinity makes me think that the only +3 Short Sword available in SoA is in the assassin fight at Firk's cave, which I've heard is pretty tough and not an immediately-after-Spellhold thing). I'd love it if you could upgrade a +2 short sword into a +3 like you can do with other weapons. In any case, the Slow effect is pretty awesome, and even against the typical awesome saves of IA enemies, it would connect more than the 33% rate of the vanilla FoA.

It would. It comes very late. A lot of enemies are immune to slow. Immunities (to Slow, Stun..) it grants are awesome, however. Too bad only she can use it.

I think the Golem Slayer may be useful if it's usable by a Fighter dualed to a Mage.

It's not.

Otherwise, yeah, 2 attacks per round at best from a hasted mage makes it worthless.

It's decent.

As for no-reload, I have a minor quibble that it's more classically considered that you do it all at once, as opposed to practicing one battle at a time until you get it right, then doing it with your "OK no reload now, this time it's for real" game. But yeah, the exploit stuff is what really invalidates it IMO.

As I remember, I did that only once, for a couple of the final fights (Sendai, Abazigal, EDE) in a no-reload run which I had abandoned for several months and had forgotten quite a lot of the IA game mechanics. All other no-reload IA attempts - and they're quite a lot (either successful or unsuccessful) were done as you say - all at once.

Also, all of my IA v5 no-reload successful solo insane runs, posted on the Bioware forums (No-reload threads) were completed without using any infinite gold or xp exploits.

I'm currently running a team no-reload Insane run of v6 with no pre-testing battles during it (I already tested all battles in a previous run), again topic is on Bioware forum. Posting video and picture material too. Of course, if you still don't believe that a no-reload can be done, you're welcome to sit behind my PC and watch me, because there's no other way to convince anyone that I've done this multiple times (OK, mostly with IA v5, but once even with v6).

I skipped 2 battles thus far, which were two of the only battles forced upon you at a time not of your convenience. Are there others like this in the game?

Yes, if you're a Necromancer/other mage or Vagrant/good aligned fighter. But you can choose not to fight, and give items away as well.

And in some case you get severely punished, like for example turning from Lawful Good to Evil... but the real punishment are missed opportunities and upgrades. For example, if you choose to give Daystar to Orcus, you miss 4 Barbarian Essence potions from the fight, and if you have PC necro, you miss an important amulet upgrade.

Maybe I'll get lucky and pull the 1,000,000 card from the Deck of Many Things, who knows.

You won't. That option doesn't exist in IA.

More accurately, the "Throne" card gives you 30 000 xp.

Overally the best options from DoMT in IA are: Gem, Key and Comet. Key gives you only a +2 ring though. And it's actually best to play fair with Aesgerath and let him get away along with the deck. You'll get most experience that way. There is also a way to kill all his minions prior to that, but you won't like it (no cheating, only exploit).

It would. It comes very late. A lot of enemies are immune to slow. Immunities (to Slow, Stun..) it grants are awesome, however. Too bad only she can use it.

Any custom Halfling can use the unupgraded sword of Arvoreen +2. Its immunity to slow is maybe most valuable. Valid also for characters who have the Use Any Item ability. Mazzy is just too fragile for a serious insane IA run, that's why I consider the sword upgrade to be a waste of resources.

As for FoA, soon enough you'll see that it almost never slows a tougher opponent.

The only short sword +3 available early in the game is the Short Sword of Backstabbing. Can be obtained in either of these ways:

Complete Mae'var quest, refuse thief stronghold.

Complete Mae'var quest, accept thief stronghold. Kill Renal, side with Bodhi.

The Enchanted Weapon spell can create one +3 short sword for the party.

The other +3 short swords are ingredients for some upgrades (like Cutthroat +5), that's why they're so hard to obtain.

I think the Golem Slayer may be useful if it's usable by a Fighter dualed to a Mage.

It's not.

Otherwise, yeah, 2 attacks per round at best from a hasted mage makes it worthless.

It's decent.

Recently I applied a very effective strategy vs Orcus with a mage (not necromancer). it included a pre-buff with Polymorph self, ProEnergy and ProElements, all other protective buffs, Improved Haste, Giant Strength cast by another arcane caster (can be done on Self via Trigger) after transformation to Spider, and on top of that Shocking Grasp (yes, the 1st level useless spell). Attacking anyone will dispel the Shocking grasp, thus caster will regain normal weapon attributes. Now equip a decent +4 quarterstaff and start pounding those Skeleton Grandlords :) That same thing is fully applicable for the Golem Slayer and a pure-class mage. I recommend having enough PFMW scrolls on a quick slot in order to maintain protections. A word of advice though....shifting form to spider decreases the not-so-great HP of a mage even further, so prebuff with some Vampiric Touches too.

You can even cast Tenser's on top of everything, but then you'll be stuck in spider form for 20 rounds with no other spellcasting option barring scroll usage.

Even if you have only a sorcerer and don't want to learn the polymorph self spell, there are still enough scroll copies to buy for the fights that matter.

@mikel123: many creatures are immune to missile, so be warned when thinking about flasher launcher....short sword +3, you have the one as reward for Reynald bloodscalp mission (kill maevar) in SoA. Side comment on items made, I would not judge staff of strength useless at all (and its upgrade is even better)...

The Staff of Strength consumes two Permanency scrolls, which is the main problem. There are either 13 or 14 total in SoA, and you badly need them for other important upgrades usually prior to ToB, that is. Compared to the Staff of Rynn, it's not that great (the +1 str often doesn't matter, if for example the str of the wielder is 18/00 - on 19 you get only +1 dmg difference). What I mean to say is, it's a decent weapon with unrealistically heightened resource-cost. That's why I believe it's not worth it. In ToB there are enough Permanency scrolls at a certain point - but at that time, there are far more and far superior crushing weapons to even consider the Staff of Str. I assembled it once only for a fun runthrough with full exploits, in which I used one and the same Permanency scroll for 20-25 item upgrades.

So, does the full release now mean there's v7 drama waiting for us?

I don't think so... Most players haven't even finished V6. Forums are opened as well. I also believe that many players of IA (myself included) gave up on it, since many tweaks are implemented which are pure nonsense. (e.g. Cavalier nerf, more buffing for classes that din't need it, many kits remain or became unplayable), and sometimes I just want to role-play with tons of mods, which Anvil doesn't really support.

For Mazzy's upgrade... I actually never got the SS of Backstabbing. I completed the Mae'var quest, accepted the stronghold, and then sided with Bodhi. Not sure how I missed it. I was wondering if the Enchanted Weapon SS would do it - if I had Mazzy, I would have tried that.

For Jan's launcher, it's not the damage but the stun. Doesn't work on everyone (or even most), but it's a nice boost when it does work. The number of missile-immune enemies is absurd though, I agree.

For Mazzy's upgrade... I actually never got the SS of Backstabbing. I completed the Mae'var quest, accepted the stronghold, and then sided with Bodhi. Not sure how I missed it. I was wondering if the Enchanted Weapon SS would do it - if I had Mazzy, I would have tried that.

It doesn't.

I actually mistyped (Corrected above). The way to get the sword is to complete Mae'var's quest - accept stronghold - kill Renal Bloodscalp and his goons - side with Bodhi. Renal has the sword. If you side with Bodhi, he simply disappears (the place is needed for one of Bodhi's tasks). However, that Short sword of Backstabbing is an unique sword (despite having no abilities), and thus cannot be used for Mazzy's sword upgrade. Neiter can you use the Enchanted weapon created short swords +3.

There are even more strange things like that - for example there are two types of Worn Out Boots throughout the game, but you can upgrade only one of the types to Boots of Speed. Also, there is a pure (no namesakes or anything) +3 enchanted longsword on one of Aesgerath's minions, which you cannot use on upgrades requiring a +3 longsword. It is distinguishable from other +3 longswords by its look (upgradeable ones have a blue handle, this one looks like a +1 sword).

Despite the fact that you can't use the Sword of Backstabbing as upgrade ingredient, it's a very essential weapon for chapters 2-5, because you'll meet quite a lot of enemies (Coin golems) mostly vulnerable only to +3 or higher piercing weapons.

Yes, I think your description above is correct - I think I sided with Bodhi and he was gone when I returned. Though not sure why it's this way in IA... in vanilla, you get the SS when you complete the quest. I really missed that sword throughout chapters 2 through 5.

Well, this chatter has got me interested in finishing this. Loaded up the old game. Party: 4.69M experience, give or take

Vagrant (protagonist) - Axe, flail, long sword

Riskbreaker - war hammer, long sword

Berserker(15)->Mage(15) - clubs, scimitar. Might shadowkeep this to 2H weapons to try them out since I'm unlikely to do a 2nd playthrough

Fighter/Mage - short sword, flail, bastard sword

Imoen (sorceror)

Cernd (auramaster)

Currently not done Chapter 6. Sitting in Watcher's Keep level 4 beginning.

Yes, I think your description above is correct - I think I sided with Bodhi and he was gone when I returned. Though not sure why it's this way in IA... in vanilla, you get the SS when you complete the quest. I really missed that sword throughout chapters 2 through 5.

Well, this chatter has got me interested in finishing this. Loaded up the old game. Party: 4.69M experience, give or take

Vagrant (protagonist) - Axe, flail, long sword

Riskbreaker - war hammer, long sword

Berserker(15)->Mage(15) - clubs, scimitar. Might shadowkeep this to 2H weapons to try them out since I'm unlikely to do a 2nd playthrough

Fighter/Mage - short sword, flail, bastard sword

Imoen (sorceror)

Cernd (auramaster)

Currently not done Chapter 6. Sitting in Watcher's Keep level 4 beginning.

In vanilla, if you don't play with a thief protagonist, the Thief stronghold isn't offered to you by Renal - he just gives you the short sword as part of the reward.

If you play with a thief PC, and decide to accept the stronghold, you don't get the sword (yeah, even in vanilla).

In an IA modded game, you get all strongholds by default - there is the problem, you just have to know in advance to deny the thieves' stronghold the moment Renal offers it to you unless you're prepared to kill him very soon and side with Bodhi (which turns out to be not profitable on a short and even longer notice, since you can still kill Renal and Aran Linvail in chapter 6).

A bit of advice on your proficiencies: from my walkthroughs of the IA mod, I find it wise to invest in Bastard Sword with the Riskbreaker as soon as possible. This will make a certain fight (Improved Asylum Kobolds) somewhat harder, but will help immensely in ToB, where the Foebane +5 will be the main weapon of choice for the RB (provided he has grandmastery in bastard swords). Foebane+5 can increase a RB's total hit points nearly thrice (Larloch's minor drain on each hit), and will keep them there as long as you're scoring hits with it. Really helpful for certain tough fights (Yaga-Shura, Sendai). You may want to use Shadowkeeper to change those proficiencies (that's the only way to do it now except starting a new game).

The Fighter/Mage multi will benefit far less from the Bastard sword, also won't be able to wield those at grandmastery.

Definitely SK the Berserker-Mage with 2-handed weapon proficiencies. Focus on Halberds and Quarter Staff grandmastery, don't implement more than one star in two-handed weapon style (second is a waste). From my own current no-reload run, where I have a Berserker (9)-Mage, he started with *****Halberds *Two-handed weapon style, got another proficiency at level 9 (*Two-Handed sword), didn't level up the mage after lvl 5 for until I regained enough xp for lvl 10(this way was able to put the mage level 6 proficiency where I wanted, and I did so by putting it in Quarterstaves), and currently my B-M has **Quarterstaves, can gain 3 more proficiencies up to level 24 (at levels 12, 18 and 24), thus gaining grandmastery in those pretty soon. A B-M doesn't need any slashing weapon proficiencies late-game, because of the BBoD which he will be able to wield at grandmastery if need for slashing weapons arise. Early-game he will be simply less useful vs the Amber golems (Borinall, Improved Kobolds), those fights are doable even so. One other location is the Shadow Lover, but I tend to use Phantom Blade vs him.

Imoen has some mixed-up spell choices when you meet her in Spellhold, that's her worst problem. Having spells like Burning Hands, Identify, Knock, Spider Spawn, no Improved Invisibility....noooo thanks. Even her Protection from magical energy buff is somewhat obsolete after chapter 5 (even before that actually, seeing you have 2 other arcane casters). A custom sorcerer is far better.

WK level 4 is the first big problem you'll encounter, the Supreme Leader. Wish you luck with this fight, hope you'll write something about your experiences with it.

Cool - I probably will Shadowkeeper the proficiencies for the 2H weapons. And I think I did change up Imoen's spell slots that way as well. I don't use Improved Invisibility as much as I should, mostly out of laziness. For the riskbreaker, I actually thought about giving her Judgment Day as some of the abilities (the stoneskin casting, the physical resistance) might be useful. I was really torn between doing that and just stacking resistances on the Vagrant. The Vagrant can hit 75% without JD sword, as far as I can tell, and with the regeneration ability, is pretty tough to take down as it is.

The kobold crystal/amber golems fight in Spellhold was probably the hardest fight in the game thus far, for me at least. Just a ton of running (once I figured out, after 10 reloads, what exactly the golems were doing to lower resistance - both on my hits, and theirs, it seemed).

I played around with the Supreme Leader last night. Actually had the most success when I stayed in the first room and just killed guys as soon as they appeared. But I soon realized the golems were infinite (I think) and that this was not a winning strategy. I think my plan will be to stay in the first room, kill all of the Gith I can so that the doorways aren't clogged up, and then hightail it to the golem summoners and take them out. Then finish off the golems and leader.

That said, I was 50k experience away from getting my 15 Berserker levels back with my dual, so I decided to step out and take down Kangaxx (thank you, Smilodon, Greater Swanmay, and Slayer change - didn't lose anyone). So I should have about 40k experience left to go at this point to get the dual back. Will likely look for ways to scrounge around for this and then re-try supreme leader. Having a fourth melee fighter will help tremendously, I think.

Cool - I probably will Shadowkeeper the proficiencies for the 2H weapons. And I think I did change up Imoen's spell slots that way as well. I don't use Improved Invisibility as much as I should, mostly out of laziness. For the riskbreaker, I actually thought about giving her Judgment Day as some of the abilities (the stoneskin casting, the physical resistance) might be useful. I was really torn between doing that and just stacking resistances on the Vagrant. The Vagrant can hit 75% without JD sword, as far as I can tell, and with the regeneration ability, is pretty tough to take down as it is.

For a Core reload run, 75% is more than enough, I agree. But you have a lot of things to experience before being able to forge JD. Improved Invisibility (at one point Mass Invisibility) is extermely useful throughout the whole game (of course, there are fights in which it's better to skip it).

The kobold crystal/amber golems fight in Spellhold was probably the hardest fight in the game thus far, for me at least. Just a ton of running (once I figured out, after 10 reloads, what exactly the golems were doing to lower resistance - both on my hits, and theirs, it seemed).

On their hits, I think you're allowed a save to negate the effect. On your hits, no save, but wears off fast (a couple of rounds). Summons help, powerful ones naturally, since I don't think their electrical resistance is lowered so fast. But for that fight you hardly have any powerful and damage-resistant summons that can harm the Amber golems. Most use I saw from spells in this fight (Ray of Fragmentation, Larloch's interrupter). Of course, a couple of melee hits now and then did the main job. But this fight requires adequate planning with certain potions purchased in chapters 2 and 3 (Insulation, Absorbtion), since these stack with ProElectricity and you don't yet have ProElements or Proenergy. Giant Str potions are also good - if your successful hit would lower electrical resistance, then this hit has to count as much as possible, right?

I played around with the Supreme Leader last night. Actually had the most success when I stayed in the first room and just killed guys as soon as they appeared. But I soon realized the golems were infinite (I think) and that this was not a winning strategy. I think my plan will be to stay in the first room, kill all of the Gith I can so that the doorways aren't clogged up, and then hightail it to the golem summoners and take them out. Then finish off the golems and leader.

Just a few pointers. Your way of thinking is correct - you have to press faster deep inside to fight the golem constructors. However:

Stone Golems cast Slow (no save or great penalty to save). Protect yourself best with Minor Globe of Invulnerability from the Limited Wish spell. Free Action is hindering (will prevent IHaste refreshment) and can be dispelled much easily. You will also need Crom Faeyr to get rid of Stone and Clay golems in 1 hit.

After the Golem Constructors die, 4 very powerful enemies will appear(2 per constructor). They're mostly vulnerable to lightning, but you have to waste tons of lightning spells to kill even one, and they have other fearsome abilities.

The Supreme Leader even by himself is not at all an easy prey. After all, he's immune to Breach and has multiple (I counted at least 10) Hardinesses. Not to mention his other defensive and offensive spells and Body Equilibrium ability.

My guess is that there is a very slim chance that you could do the battle at present levels, with a lot of reloading and several lucky Wishes during the fight. And indeed every fighter counts.

Don't underestimate even lowly Anti-Paladins - their melee attack has some additional (not sure what - magical or cold) damage which can disrupt casting through Skins

Yeah, one thing that drives me nuts in this mod is the new spells like the Fragmentation one. I mean, golems are one of the big weaknesses of mages in the vanilla game, but here mages are often times *better* against golems than fighters. It's silly. And the whole "Recast Vital Energy" thing. Why make really hard enemies, and then make really overpowered spells, to balance things out? Why not just tone down the enemies and *not* give RVE? Likewise with all the custom kids, etc. I'd rather see a "difficulty mod" push the limits of difficulty within the confines of the game itself, rather than just add things to make it much harder and things to make it much easier, and try to balance them out.

Globe of Invuln is a great tip for the Slow. I'm not sure if it has a save or if they just don't cast it *every time* (or if I kill them before they cast it), but most times I was never impacted by it.

Maybe I'll give Alhoon a shot. Might be able to get my dual back before the final battle, and it seems like people are OK with it at this experience level (or even before). Though I will say, Stone and Clay golems don't really last more than two hits anyways, it seems. I didn't realize the Supreme Leader fight was usually tackled later. I think I'd have a real good shot at it if I had my 6th party member back from the dual.

By the way, one question about all these people dualing at level 9. The reason I waited until level 15 (and also used a dual F/M to get down to 0 base on that one) was largely for Thac0. At level 9, I was fighting against enemies with like -14 Thac0. A Fighter(9)->Mage is going to have a base Thac0 of 8 (thanks to being a high level *mage*, lol). Subtract 3 from un-nerfed Grandmastery. Best case at 25 STR you can subtract 7. And subtract 5 for a +5 weapon. So you're looking at -7 Thac0, best case. Against a -14 AC enemy, you're hitting 2/3 of the time. Which is decent, but not great. Do you find this sufficient? I mean, Bodhi has -23 AC. Fighters dualled at 9 are only hitting her around 20% of the time.

Yeah, one thing that drives me nuts in this mod is the new spells like the Fragmentation one. I mean, golems are one of the big weaknesses of mages in the vanilla game, but here mages are often times *better* against golems than fighters. It's silly. And the whole "Recast Vital Energy" thing. Why make really hard enemies, and then make really overpowered spells, to balance things out? Why not just tone down the enemies and *not* give RVE? Likewise with all the custom kids, etc. I'd rather see a "difficulty mod" push the limits of difficulty within the confines of the game itself, rather than just add things to make it much harder and things to make it much easier, and try to balance them out.

This is Sparta! No, this is ANVIL!

Globe of Invuln is a great tip for the Slow. I'm not sure if it has a save or if they just don't cast it *every time* (or if I kill them before they cast it), but most times I was never impacted by it.

I don't think a save is allowed in Anvil.

Maybe I'll give Alhoon a shot. Might be able to get my dual back before the final battle, and it seems like people are OK with it at this experience level (or even before). Though I will say, Stone and Clay golems don't really last more than two hits anyways, it seems. I didn't realize the Supreme Leader fight was usually tackled later. I think I'd have a real good shot at it if I had my 6th party member back from the dual.

It's a hard battle. Lots of HLA's are needed. Alacrity + tons of Chain Lightnings and Lightning Bolts is essential. First it's a rush to kill Golem makers, then a war of attrition.

By the way, one question about all these people dualing at level 9. The reason I waited until level 15 (and also used a dual F/M to get down to 0 base on that one) was largely for Thac0. At level 9, I was fighting against enemies with like -14 Thac0. A Fighter(9)->Mage is going to have a base Thac0 of 8 (thanks to being a high level *mage*, lol). Subtract 3 from un-nerfed Grandmastery. Best case at 25 STR you can subtract 7. And subtract 5 for a +5 weapon. So you're looking at -7 Thac0, best case. Against a -14 AC enemy, you're hitting 2/3 of the time. Which is decent, but not great. Do you find this sufficient? I mean, Bodhi has -23 AC. Fighters dualled at 9 are only hitting her around 20% of the time.

-7 is best case indeed. Dual is mostly useful for hiting Golems, not bosses. And tanking, ofc. Will be of great use in final batlle, however, regardless of his fighter level. I would wait for 13th for extra attack, no longer. Critical Strike HLA is very important in Anvil. Even single-class fighters will find it difficult to hit sometimes (not Kensai however). Definitely use 2-handed weapons on him, Halberds to be exact.

Archived