Working port to Ios

Guest SyntaxError

Didn't found how to recover Iphone had to rejailbreak.

I am using a 5 gb version where the gameplay between ad-dons and parts doesn't stop. (BG1 and BG2 in one game).

Runs very smoothly on Iphone 4. Had some troubles with files and permissions, but Iphone Configuration Utility's log helped to avoid em.

JonathanPi, about the CD's and files, i have put all data files in folder Data, video files in Movies, in GemRB iOS.cfg just changed the CD2/3/4/5 paths to /private/var/mobile/Your Game/.

SyntaxError, thx for the port you are the Man :hm:

But there are few things about the convenience of playing on Iphone's little screen, the Zoom In/Out feature is highly recommended. Isn't it possible to do like in mobile browsers? Two finger gesture and voila :laugh:, with this tweak you will have no need in doing a keyboard tweak for dialogues.

P.S.Forgot the proof link 7c483f4ae05f.jpg

misc notes:

- we don't support rotating formations yet

- of course we support right clicking!?

- bad signature warnings from 2daImporter are irrelevant

- use alt to highlight containers and doors

- the fireball/etc range problem is not platform specific

misc notes:

- we don't support rotating formations yet

- of course we support right clicking!?

- bad signature warnings from 2daImporter are irrelevant

- use alt to highlight containers and doors

- the fireball/etc range problem is not platform specific

lynx what does right click do if gemrb doesnt support formation rotation? on OS X right click didnt do anything when i tried; its supposed to set a waypoint right?

obviously alt for highlighting will be a problem as 1. the iOS keyboard lacks an alt key and 2. bringing up a virtual keyboard to use that function is a pain. SDL fully supports using an external keyboard however if you have one then alt should work just fine.

If somebody has suggestions on how to implement the alt key function on iOS im all ears. I do have access to accelerometer etc through SDL so just keep it simple and ill make it happen.

Arlechinoy:

I dont think i can use the magnifier. it would have to be done through SDL as thats where all the rendering is done and I havent seen any mention of it in my poking around in SDL.

The right click serves many functions in BG2:

Allows you to rotate formation by holding down the button and twisting the mouse

Open up item description in the inventory page (important if you want to identify items)

Choose quick spells in the action bar

Swap melee/ranged weapon options for throwing axes/daggers as well as swapping arrow/bolt/bullet types in the quiver, from the action bar.

Jump straight to inventory when right clicking on character portrait from gameplay.

Open containers (double clicking does not seem to work, but usually does).

Cancels spell casting when you have a spell ready to cast.

So, if we can, getting right click to work is a good thing. Shift+left click allows you to set way points.

Arlechinoy: Thanks for the tip with the file structure. It sure saved me a headache.

Update: I have found a way to consistently get 130 megs of RAM for my ipad (sbsettings free memory feature). Also, one can overclock their ipad to get about 10 megs more memory. Any tips or suggestions about doing this?

I realize of course that i look like a jackass :laugh:

of course i know what right click does in those contexts. I was talking about right click in regards to the world interaction because when you brought it up due to wanting to rotate the waypoints. i thought right click was supposed to set waypoints, but as was pointed out that is shift click; silly me.

as with the alt functionality im all ears for suggestions on implementing right click. maybe a click and hold?

SyntaxError, tap and hold is a good solution, but also alt and right click button could be replaced by clicking the volume buttons.

And make possible to change the volume from menu, or make a three finger gesture that will open standart ios slider.

Its not that simple. I'm limited to what SDL can do and i cant image being able to do that through SDL as that would violate app-store policy (unless im behind on those ever changing rules :laugh: ) I'll look and see if its possible or trivial to add and submit a patch to SDL with a compile time flag.

Also I dont really want to link in any additional libraries to support ios slider.

Edit: Also im trying not to think in terms of gemrb on iOS but rather gemrb with a touchscreen (platform agnostic) so im avoiding iOS specifics if possible and trying to do everything through touch input for now.

Quick update for those that may be watching and have 1st gen iPad. There are ways to increase your available RAM. Some safe, some not. Cydia has a theme called ioverclock that you can load via winterboard that will safely increase ram at a slight cost to battery life. Also, turning off push notifications and auto-updates for your apps (like mobile mail) will save you RAM (I got 10 free just from turning these off).

As of right now, I am consistently getting 130+ megs (131-135) free with no apps open. I can get upwards of 157 megs if I tamper with launch daemons and remove the ones that I don't need (similar to turning of windows services in msconfig), but this methods prevents me from getting a crash log and using the iphone config utility. Make sure to have a backup before you even think about touching these files.

Good news, I am no longer getting memory warnings when I crash in BG2.

Bad news, I still crash on the mage/priest book for spell memorization. Syntax is looking over my crash logs currently.

View attached pics for proofs (I am running 131 RAM as I speak/write because I returned all my launch daemons to make sure I can run crash reports)

img00641.png

img00631.png

Guest mars0124

I just want to say that you are doing wonderful work here Syntax (and thanks for the iPad testing Jonathon). I will be getting my iPad II very soon and will jailbreak it the same day that it is release - at that point, I'll be joining the testing crew.

One thing you said Syntax - you didn't want to break any app store rules.... gemRM is breaking them all of its own accord :laugh: Lots of jailbreak apps reuse the button for alternate functions too. I know you are aiming for a touchscreen build rather than a iOS build but I vote go ahead and use the hardware that is present.

JonathanPi, have you tried to run GemRB in safe mode? As i know it runs in background only programs that ios needs, maybe this will allow you to run GemRB with no problems?

Yes. Safe mode produces the same crash and error log when clicking the icons for spell memorization.

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[407] <Notice>: Formulating crash report for process GemRB iOS[406]

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB_iOS[0x97][406]) <Warning>: (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB_iOS[0x97]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad SpringBoard[394] <Warning>: Application 'GemRB iOS' exited abnormally with signal 11: Segmentation fault: 11

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[407] <Error>: libMobileGestalt loadBasebandMobileEquipmentInfo: CommCenter error: 1:45

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[407] <Error>: libMobileGestalt copyInternationalMobileEquipmentIdentity: Could not get mobile equipment info dictionary

Jun 22 18:38:49 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[407] <Error>: libMobileGestalt copyInternationalMobileEquipmentIdentity: Could not get mobile equipment info dictionary

I've been getting the same error consistently now. Syntax is going to get me a debug build for testing and we will figure this out.

I just want to say that you are doing wonderful work here Syntax (and thanks for the iPad testing Jonathon). I will be getting my iPad II very soon and will jailbreak it the same day that it is release - at that point, I'll be joining the testing crew.

One thing you said Syntax - you didn't want to break any app store rules.... gemRM is breaking them all of its own accord :laugh: Lots of jailbreak apps reuse the button for alternate functions too. I know you are aiming for a touchscreen build rather than a iOS build but I vote go ahead and use the hardware that is present.

First you're all very welcome, think nothing of it.

Second, i didnt say i didnt want to break appstore rules (I already stated previously this would require a jailbreak and either adhoc or cydia distribution). What I said is that SDL probably doesnt support using the hardware buttons because it would break app store rules and in my cursory search i have done online and in the code that appears true. Its not to say that I couldnt add it to SDL myself, but I have no intentions of doing that at this time; id rather come up with a universal touchscreen solution that can work on any platform. I want to do a 1 second touch and hold but im not sure how to do that unless sdl keeps queuing events while a finger in touching even if it doesnt move...

Edit: well SDL doesnt keep queuing events when the touch is stationary, but gemrb keeps polling for them so i can still do what i need to do for a touch and hold. Mind you it may be a bit strange because you will already have clicked so i would have to mouse up then issue the right click... or i could (and likely will) try some event queue manipulation but i dont think i can insert/move events into the queue at arbitrary points (it is a queue after all). I'll have to mull this over, im pretty sure there is a way for me to do a tap and hold without performing a click and release or mangling gemrbs core event code. if it proves too complex ill just live with a leftclick+mouse up+rightclick+mouseup which should be fairly effective.

Another minor update.

I enabled sbsettings to activate during gameplay by shaking the device. I average about 51 megs free while the game is actively being played (ranges from 74 right after a load to 24 in a decent rumble), and I start with about ~150 free before I launch the game.

Sbsettings' free memory option helps clear up any memory and returns the average back to ~50.

Not sure if this is relevant or helpful but can't be too careful.

Also, I might have a suggestion for how to implement a right click without too much trouble. We have extra space on the UI under the character portraits. Would it be difficult to add an area where you can tap (or hold with a different finger) to make the game count the next tap as a right click? I'd prefer being able to hold that area, since then you can press and hold with the other finger, and maybe move it, to enable a right click + hold that maybe allows custom waypoint formation?

Just a thought.

Also, I might have a suggestion for how to implement a right click without too much trouble. We have extra space on the UI under the character portraits. Would it be difficult to add an area where you can tap (or hold with a different finger) to make the game count the next tap as a right click? I'd prefer being able to hold that area, since then you can press and hold with the other finger, and maybe move it, to enable a right click + hold that maybe allows custom waypoint formation?

Just a thought.

I know you really want waypoint stuff but you are asking the wrong person. I'm only porting gemrb at this time; the waypoint stuff and modifying the UI is well beyond my scope ATM. Right now try and keep input suggestions touch only without custom UI. Without modifying the ui i could still make the bottom right corer a hotzone where you can hold your finger down to make additional finger presses right click, there just wouldnt be any visual feedback.

Archived