Working port to Ios

Guest SyntaxError

SyntaxError, yep, he is not asking you to change the UI, just to make clickable right corner for right button, and it would be great to make above the STOP button(there is some place) aslo a clickable place for ALT.

the problem is that other IE games dont have empty space in all the same places. Id have to make the coordinates configurable and draw lines so you would know where its at.. really there is no reason i can think of that this is better then letting you click and hold anywhere on the screen then click with another finger while still holding the other one and having finger 2 preform a right click. You could use that solution just as described and its easier to program and works with any game.

Is that really more preferable to a click and hold?

Edit: additional reason why having a set zone on the interface itself doesn't work:

all these events are happening in screen coordinates so the bottom right corner is the bottom right corner even if you are playing on a resolution where gemrb doesnt take the full screen such as on the iphone. my alternative version would allow use of any of that negative space instead of a designated area.

Guest mars0124
It would be nice if some other people with ipads/iphone 4s could test this and tell me if it is crashing upon accessing a spellbook. send me the crashlogs if it does. my email is in my profile i believe.

I've got an iPad owning/BG playing friend on the hook. I should be setting him up in the next few days. I can't wait to get integrated into the testing process myself.

Also, I vote the touch/hold process. Even if you did have to slide your finger up for this to work that isn't a big deal. As for a one second holding time: even that might be a little on the long time.

Hey guys, guess what?

img0057q.png

No crashes on opening spellbooks anymore. Syntax sent me a debug build that has the GemRB folder combined in the GemRB app and it seems this has gotten rid of the crashing issue. I think it might be an iPad specific issue, since iPhone 4 doesn't have it, but I'm no expert.

Wow!

I'm gonna try tonight!

Can you please let me know how to get the latest iPad build?

Been following this thread again since it's revival and I can't believe this is actually happening.

SyntaxError thank you very much for the great work.

And JonathanPi it's great that you gave so much feedback!

Great teamwork

Hey guys, guess what?

img0057q.png

No crashes on opening spellbooks anymore. Syntax sent me a debug build that has the GemRB folder combined in the GemRB app and it seems this has gotten rid of the crashing issue. I think it might be an iPad specific issue, since iPhone 4 doesn't have it, but I'm no expert.

Awesome! :laugh: I wasnt looking forward to debugging that. good the hear that the updated version of python fixed it! I was skeptical that it was going to be that easy but i wont argue with results. I'll post an updated build tomorrow night that includes that change.

Awesome! :laugh: I wasnt looking forward to debugging that. good the hear that the updated version of python fixed it! I was skeptical that it was going to be that easy but i wont argue with results. I'll post an updated build tomorrow night that includes that change.

Yeah, I'm just relieved it wasn't a memory issue. The game does run a tad bit slower due to the debug build, but I'm not losing any available RAM, so I am looking forward to the non-debug release.

bsauvage: Thanks! There are more bugs to work out but I am just glad we got past the crashing.

A few bugs I've noticed so far:

Creature spawns - had four mephitis spawn at once on me where there should be only one (also I see two spawn instead of one in certain places). Also, the goblins on the first floor of starting dungeon (library area) don't spawn, but this is where two mephitis spawned and then four leaving that area.

Spells - aside from the fireball/skull trap issue, I have nothing to report. Entangle seems to work just fine.

Weird stuff - cambion death when I load game. When clicking on a creature (attack or cast spell on) I hear the creature cry out, rather than the character commenting.

Those bugs aren't iOS specific AFAIK. The blue paper-doll is the last bug I know of that is. GemRb is only at version 0.6.4 so its still got a long way to go.

Edit: i forgot i was going out of town this weekend so I may not be able to get a new version out till sunday or monday night.

I was able to track down and fix the blue paper-doll issue. However, I'm not convinced the crash for the spellbooks is solved because now I am able to produce the spellbook crash using a debug build of GemRB in the simulator. (release version works fine in the simulator so there is hope that it may not crash on next release, but that doesnt mean it cant return at some point) on the plus side crashing in the simulator makes my job of fixing it easier.

I was able to track down and fix the blue paper-doll issue. However, I'm not convinced the crash for the spellbooks is solved because now I am able to produce the spellbook crash using a debug build of GemRB in the simulator. (release version works fine in the simulator so there is hope that it may not crash on next release, but that doesnt mean it cant return at some point) on the plus side crashing in the simulator makes my job of fixing it easier.

Thats ... interesting. O.o

Gratz on figuring out that blue paper doll bug.

new build, iPad only; haven't had time to get either a universal SDL build for iphone compatibility.

this build fixes the blue paper doll bug and hopefully the spellbook crash. It also include tap+hold (0.5 sec) for right click.

download

Edit: if you arent aware the gemrb resources (guiscripts, override, and cfg) are now inside the app bundle.

Syntax,

The GemRB iOS.app folder has another folder in it labeled 'GemRB' with (i think) duplicate GUIScripts and override folders and another .cfg file. Was this intentional?

EDIT: I can confirm blue paperdoll fixed and right click works although, appears the game reads a left click and then a right click right after, so to get to item descriptions you pick up item and then tap and hold for it to be put back down and the description menu pops up. Framerate is also up (from the debug build). Spell book crashing issue is back :laugh:

Crashlog is the same:

Jun 24 21:00:20 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[150] <Notice>: Formulating crash report for process GemRB iOS[149]

Jun 24 21:00:20 Jonathans-iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB_iOS[0x6d71][149]) <Warning>: (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB_iOS[0x6d71]) Job appears to have crashed: Segmentation fault: 11

Jun 24 21:00:20 Jonathans-iPad SpringBoard[34] <Warning>: Application 'GemRB iOS' exited abnormally with signal 11: Segmentation fault: 11

Jun 24 21:00:21 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[150] <Error>: libMobileGestalt loadBasebandMobileEquipmentInfo: CommCenter error: 1:45

Jun 24 21:00:21 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[150] <Error>: libMobileGestalt copyInternationalMobileEquipmentIdentity: Could not get mobile equipment info dictionary

Jun 24 21:00:21 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[150] <Error>: libMobileGestalt copyInternationalMobileEquipmentIdentity: Could not get mobile equipment info dictionary

Jun 24 21:00:21 Jonathans-iPad ReportCrash[150] <Error>: Saved crashreport to /var/mobile/Library/Logs/CrashReporter/GemRB iOS_2011-06-24-210020_Jonathans-iPad.plist using uid: 0 gid: 0, synthetic_euid: 501 egid: 0

I'm not suprised the crash is back.

as for the right click i already said this is the way it would work. The only way to avoid it would be either implementing the hold click in gemrb core, which i dont think is desirable since it is only wanted for touchscreen devices or to hold onto the left mouse down unit its determined if its a hold or not then either discard or issue it. that may introduce other side effects in its own way. I can try not sending a left mouse up event before the right click and see if that works a bit better.

Edit: just tried it and doing leftMouseDown+rightMouseDown_rightMouseUp doesnt appear to have any negative sideeffects and works much better as tap+hold for right click and skirts the above issue as far as my testing shows.

Archived