iOS port of GemRB (iPad/iPhone)

SyntaxError

Is there any way to install this on the iPhone without jailbreaking it?

I've got a work phone (so don't want to jailbreak it) but I really want to play PST on mobile!

Not without your own developer certificate. Not now not ever unless Apple loosens up.

PST isn't very well supported by gemrb anyway. (for now)

Guest Joshua

Hi SyntaxError

I'm having trouble with the right click.

After playing for while it just doesn't work anymore. I'm pressing, holding, then the scroll unfolds but nothing happens. I then wait for a few sec, do something else and it works again.

I remember someone reporting a similar issue in one of previous build.

Hello all, just created a posting account to say thank-you to syntaxerror and everyone else for this fabulous piece of work. I had a couple of small problems/questions that I would be grateful for any help for.

1) I found the fonts too small to select the correct dialogue option, so I installed the big fonts as discussed near the end of the previous thread. Unfortunately, now I can't select any dialogue by touch! This is the main problem I have.

2) From a personal standpoint, I think it would be better to be able to scroll the map with one finger and select groups with two. Sometimes it can be a pain to scroll the map, and there is already a button for selecting everyone with one touch.

3) As an observation and help to anyone else installing this beauty: I found I had to edit both the .cfg files in the GemRB App folder on the iPad to point to the correct locations, and not just the ios cfg file.

Anyway, thanks again, and if anyone can help with the dialogue problems, Minsc and Boo will be eternally at your service!

samcruise

Guest Joshua
Hello all, just created a posting account to say thank-you to syntaxerror and everyone else for this fabulous piece of work. I had a couple of small problems/questions that I would be grateful for any help for.

1) I found the fonts too small to select the correct dialogue option, so I installed the big fonts as discussed near the end of the previous thread. Unfortunately, now I can't select any dialogue by touch! This is the main problem I have.

2) From a personal standpoint, I think it would be better to be able to scroll the map with one finger and select groups with two. Sometimes it can be a pain to scroll the map, and there is already a button for selecting everyone with one touch.

3) As an observation and help to anyone else installing this beauty: I found I had to edit both the .cfg files in the GemRB App folder on the iPad to point to the correct locations, and not just the ios cfg file.

Anyway, thanks again, and if anyone can help with the dialogue problems, Minsc and Boo will be eternally at your service!

samcruise

Hi Samcruise,

I'm so grateful these guys could acomplish this feat as well.

SyntaxError or Lynx would know better but this my 5 cent comments on your post

1) selecting dialogue with middle sized font 16 is fine my side, felt like the big one was too big anyway

2) I slightly disagree here, for me two fingers for scrolling is better, one finger might make it too easy I think

3) I think there should be only one conf file

there is only 1 config file, but there are 4 (i think) locations where gemrb looks and it uses whichever it finds first.

how in the world would scrolling with 1 finger be any easier. the only thing i see coming from that is breaking lots of things as you wouldnt be able to click ANYTHING with 1 finger. click with 2 fingers would be erratic and a pain.

you can already scroll dialogues with 1 finger if thats what you mean.

Well, I appreciate its a matter of taste but I'm not sure how it would break anything, much less stop you clicking anything with 1 finger? An example: a web page on Ipad, you click links with one finger, you scroll with one finger. No problems.

PS just checked the 16/07 download file again. There are definitely 2 config files included, GemRB.cfg and GemRB iOS.cfg. The latter has more settings, and is the one I originally edited. After GemRB crashing before loading, I used the IPhone config utility to look at the errors. Seems it was reading file locations from the former. So I edited that and it works.

And I solved the dialogue issue - switched to the PST UI Mod fonts and voila....

gemrb will read the first gemrb.cfg it can find, unless you specify it directly (which would be needed for that ios one). Looks like an oversight in the packaging.

This. the app used to be called gemrb ios and when i changed it i should have cleaned the project, but i neglected that. gemrb.cfg should be the file you want.

Well, I appreciate its a matter of taste but I'm not sure how it would break anything, much less stop you clicking anything with 1 finger? An example: a web page on Ipad, you click links with one finger, you scroll with one finger. No problems.

I'm not dealing with native APIs for touch or anything else, all controls are written from the ground up in gemrb, and not for touch screens ;-). to do what you are asking would require more work than i am willing to put into this. If I were using UIKit for controls and such then of course this would be no problem since the controls are designed for touch input.

Guest Joshua

Hi Guys

I have serious one and a few minor ones.

I'm running BGT on the Ipad. No matter what I do, character will start at level 7 in BG1.

No such issue on PC where character start level 1. Browsed the web for past week, but couldn't find a straight answer.

Is GemRB the cause of this ?

Alternatively, I copied my PC save over to the Ipad. Facing now another problem, GemRB will sytematically crash whenever I transfer items from one character to another.

Again, is GemRB the issue here ?

Right-Click

As I said before, the way it's implemented right doesn't work consistently

Sorry for the negative mood in this post

the only issue you have that has anything to do with iOS is the right click. I've already stated my intentions of reverting it to the way it was originally implemented. I'll likely do that this weekend.

even though it doesnt have anything to do with the ios port your lvl 7 start issues sounds to me like your BGT install failed to modify whatever table/script/whatever determines that as lvl 7 is what you would start at in BG2.

Guest rsuffix

Hey there!

Thanks for the awesome work on this port - it's bloody amazing!

I do however have one issue! I've been trying to run BG Trilogy on it, and I'm having a few issues. (I can get BGTuTu and BG2 running fine on their own.)

When launching BGT, Baldrus Gate will run fine, the intro plays, I can create my character, etc, there's only one small problem with that - the little scrolling text / intro doesn't play at all, but that's not a huge issue.

The biggest one is when I try to play Baldrus Gate 2 / ToB directly, I get a blue screen instead of the game screen (UI loads) and then it'll crash. With Bhaal I can actually look at my character sheet and things before it'll crash though. I've checked my permissions and I don't see any problems, is this a foolish endeavour to be trying?

Last few lines of my console:

UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [GUIScript]: Loading Script GUICG19...[OK]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching for GUICG.chu...[chitin.key]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching for gu3mpb... gu3mpb.mos...[chitin.key]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching for guigenc3.bam...[chitin.key]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: Looking in /private/var/mobile/Baldurs Gate II/sounds

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [GUIScript]: Loading Script CharGen8...[OK]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching for GUICG.chu...[chitin.key]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching for guicgb... guicgb.mos...[Cache]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [GUIScript]: Loading Script GUICG5...[OK]

Jul 27 17:44:31 rsuffixs-iPad UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318] <Notice>: [ResourceManager]: Searching fo

Jul 27 17:45:17 rsuffixs-iPad ReportCrash[1319] <Notice>: Formulating crash report for process GemRB[1318]

Jul 27 17:45:17 rsuffixs-iPad com.apple.launchd[1] (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b][1318]) <Warning>: (UIKitApplication:net.sourceforge.GemRB[0xf03b]) Job appears to have crashed: Bus error: 10

Jul 27 17:45:17 rsuffixs-iPad SpringBoard[1163] <Warning>: Application 'GemRB' exited abnormally with signal 10: Bus error: 10

Archived