iOS port of GemRB (iPad/iPhone)

SyntaxError

well I dont know what else to do without a device to debug with so I recompiled using the old xcode 3 compiler. so hopefully either the change in compiler or just the complete recompile itself will magically fix it. (dont get your hopes up)

BTW the last crash log matched exactly the other one so the crash doesn't appear to be "random" and always occurs when opening a file, however, i dont know if the crashing is always for the same file.

well I dont know what else to do without a device to debug with so I recompiled using the old xcode 3 compiler. so hopefully either the change in compiler or just the complete recompile itself will magically fix it. (dont get your hopes up)

BTW the last crash log matched exactly the other one so the crash doesn't appear to be "random" and always occurs when opening a file, however, i dont know if the crashing is always for the same file.

well well well...someone should have more faith :)

I'm extremely pleased to report that this old xcode compiler has magically fixed it !

Besides, previous build working would crash when engaging specific combats. This new one seems stable like a rock. No more crashes so far !!

Now you said the below items were implemented in this version.

1. synced with git (should fix those stability issues)

2. reverted right click and tooltips to the initial implementation (ie no tooltips at all, hold 1 finger for .5 sec for right click)

3. probably some other bug fixes i cant remember

I need to play around and test your new build extensively now.

In the meantime please have a beer on me, beers also for Avenger, Lynx and the others I may have missed !!

Well, lets call this stable version stable for a while. If it was some 0.6.5 version, it should be valid for this year anyway.

Anyway, always do full recompiles when preparing for a release

I did recompile everything! when i first posted it was from a brand new project upgraded to xcode 4 that had never even been compiled before. no lingering object files or anything.

this was the second time i recompiled everything, but i dont know if it was changing the compiler back to gcc 4.2 or if it was because of that file system corruption that I mentioned; after all that is what was preventing the compile from finishing. I have never experienced a problem where simply recompiling (with the same settings) fixes things.

Well, lets call this stable version stable for a while. If it was some 0.6.5 version, it should be valid for this year anyway.

Anyway, always do full recompiles when preparing for a release

I did recompile everything! when i first posted it was from a brand new project upgraded to xcode 4 that had never even been compiled before. no lingering object files or anything.

this was the second time i recompiled everything, but i dont know if it was changing the compiler back to gcc 4.2 or if it was because of that file system corruption that I mentioned; after all that is what was preventing the compile from finishing. I have never experienced a problem where simply recompiling (with the same settings) fixes things.

Not sure what the problem was but I am here to report that, just like Joshua, GemRB is running smoothly once again on my device.

Good work :)

So far so good, this build feels solid, biggest improvement I see besides the absence of crashes is the huge speed bump. I feel like characters are walking at a crazy pace now. Anyone else seen that ?

I know that you deserve a break on the bug reporting game, but I've noticed something which was happening on previous builds as well. After some time, gestures don't work anymore.

Specifically three fingers to bring up the keyword, two fingers to scroll the view, one finger to select the team. It just takes a restart of the app to fix things. Anyone having the same issue ?

Not a big deal if you ask me. Something to plan I guess for a future release.

I would need the console messages from around the time that starts happening.

Not an easy feat to get those for you.

Got it partially tonight after more than an hour playing (no crash in this period :-)

plugged the ipad to the computer but the console would not show previous messages.

Subsequent messages showed nothing of interest. Got to try again, sometime the console does show previous activity.

I will call this bug minor anyway.

Have you considered buying a Developer Account and bring it to the official apple appstore?

Unfortunately this cannot be put on the app store since we cannot legally distribute the required game resources. since the game doesn't do anything on its own without the resources it wouldn't be allowed.

Recently Bungies Marathon was made available on the appstore via an Opensource engine replacement similar to gemrb, but i doubt bioware is as open to that as bungie/microsoft were with marathon.

Do we have to bring the games we can emulate as well?

Isn't it enough to simply bring the emulator to the store and tell the people they need to spent a few bucks more and buy these old cheap games on the store?

3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other APIs or otherwise. No interpreted code may be downloaded and used in an Application except for code that is interpreted and run by Apple’s Published APIs and built-in interpreter(s).

Since we have a rewrite of the engine we dont launch exectutable code like the original exe files, do we?

We also didn't dump memory content as required for gameboys and psp.

WTF, you have to *buy* a developer account? Crazy.

http://cplus.about.com/od/iphonecodingtuto...development.htm

So you've been developing away and have got a version that runs in the emulator. Next you've paid your $99 and been accepted in the developer's program. This means you can now try your app out on your iPhone. Here is an overview of how you do that. Apple's developer website provides a lot more detail.

Archived