Sparing the rod...

Bri

Wow, Malcom would surely get his fair share, that little rascal.

I think the swimming pool story is a shining example of how technology can overcome barriers and solve problems. The technology of choice in this case would have been... speech!

Am I the only one who thinks that it's really terrible?

No, I agree. How about some kindness, instead of attacking children? I really don't find this funny.

I think the swimming pool story is a shining example of how technology can overcome barriers and solve problems. The technology of choice in this case would have been... speech!

Well said.

I will be in the minority here, but I do not see how *parents* of a *drinking, smoking and eluding police* 12 yo could have any sort of right for outrage. If they raised her in such a fashion that she'd act like she can do anything eluding any and all responsibility for her actions... well the whole incident is *their* fault.

I will be in the minority here, but I do not see how *parents* of a *drinking, smoking and eluding police* 12 yo could have any sort of right for outrage. If they raised her in such a fashion that she'd act like she can do anything eluding any and all responsibility for her actions... well the whole incident is *their* fault.

I agree.

Unfortunately, the media only highlights these negative incidents. The majority of parents do try to raise their children well, with correspondingly good results. I'm happy to know quite a few families like that. :rolleyes:

Both children survived and if the worst thing that ever happens to them in their lives is that they got tazered, they'll be extremely lucky human beings.

In the case of the six-year old threatening to cut his leg off with broken glass... I'm not sure any decision the police could have made would have been applauded there. That sounds like a job for a psychiatrist.

Well, I don't think tazering was the proper course for the 6 year old, and I certainly don't know what the proper response would be.

As for the 12 year old...well, if the kid was as bad as they say, then the parents bear a lot of blame. On the other hand, by that age a child does know better...age shouldn't always be a barrier for punishment.

At 12, a child is intellectually developed, but not emotionally developed. The frontal lobes, the seat of our judgement, are not fully formed. 12 year olds are no more capable of adult judgement than they are of flying. It is sick, wrong and horrible to torture a child (you ever been tazed?), no matter what the circumstances.

One of my friends smoked and drank when she was 13. She had her reasons, and they had nothing to do with being innately bad or stupid; she is, and always was, a brilliant, good person. The police should have taken a tazer to the people who gave her reasons. But in any case, she's perfectly fine now that she's an adult, except for being addicted to nicotine. Would she have turned out his well if she had been physically abused by the police? Maybe. But it sure as hell wouldn't have helped.

At 12, a child is intellectually developed, but not emotionally developed. The frontal lobes, the seat of our judgement, are not fully formed. 12 year olds are no more capable of adult judgement than they are of flying. It is sick, wrong and horrible to torture a child (you ever been tazed?), no matter what the circumstances.

One of my friends smoked and drank when she was 13. She had her reasons, and they had nothing to do with being innately bad or stupid; she is, and always was, a brilliant, good person. The police should have taken a tazer to the people who gave her reasons. But in any case, she's perfectly fine now that she's an adult, except for being addicted to nicotine. Would she have turned out his well if she had been physically abused by the police? Maybe. But it sure as hell wouldn't have helped.

It is improper to torture children. Raising children in such a way that they are allowed to drink, smoke and do various other self-abusive stuff is a torture. So its her parents who are the first one in line to blame.

The police tazed her because she was running into traffic, not because she was drinking and smoking. The point was to stop each child, not to punish them for what they were doing.

It's the same idea as reaching out and yanking a child away from an oncoming bus, except this time the child was actually out of reach. And if you've ever tried to stop a child who's panicked and running when you're perceived as a threatening stranger, reasonable talking doesn't actually work.

Archived