Not gone, but going silent.

plainab

On trying to get back into modding, I've tried to immerse myself into the forums (notably pocketplane, G3 & SHS) and see where things have been going and what has been going on in my absence. What I've found is that more and more people are moving away from the standard games and modding them with a few simple mods to creating these insanely huge "big world" games spawned from a BG2 install. I therefore can not in good conscience respond, reply or try to be helpful in any way because of this. It seems every post I make gets corrected or refuted because I'm not thinking "big picture" or "big world" enough. Perhaps I could one day come to understand this "mega mod" stuff, but that day is not today.

So that said, as the topic title states, I will be going silent. No longer will I proffer information or assistance on a topic of interest. I will work on the mod(s) I want to work on for the gaming platform I want to work on and post only when I need assistance with coding or when said mod(s) are ready (if ever) for public consumption.

Thanks for reading, no need to leave a response...

Thanks for reading, no need to leave a response...

BG, IWD, IWD-in-BG2. That's where my interests (and limited knowledge) rest. BP, BG-Tutu, BGT are outside so I've always stayed away from commenting in those posts.

At least you're not quitting the modding scene. I'm looking forward to your progress on the BG1 Fixpack.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I personally can install and play a BG1Tutu game, though I've not attempted to mod it just yet. I haven't tried BGT either. But a "Big World" install? I read that being mentioned a lot lately, and I haven't bothered looking it up. I'm guessing it's some sort of Multi-Megamod install. Now, I know from experience that the more mods you install, the more bugs and conflicts you'll run into. As such, why would you go through all that trouble? No...call me old fashioned (crowd: "OLD FASHIONED!") ...but I don't care for this new Multi-Megamod stuff. If I ever play a modded game of BG2, I install a few mods I like and I go from there.

You should totally focus on what you like making, rather than following the latest hype if it doesn't appeal to you. I know I do. I've been focusing on something that I enjoy making. Sure, it's a big mod, but waaaay smaller than any of the truly "big" mods (aka BGT, Shadows over Soubar, Secret of Bonehill, Tortured Souls, Neverending Journey, etc). It's rather unfair of others to constantly correct you based on Multi-Megamod installs. Not everyone plays those kind of installs, you know. It gets annoying, and I understand and respect your decision of just going to focus on what you enjoy. You could start your own modding site/blog/forum for your mods as well, if you desire. That's what I did, as the modding scene nowadays doesn't appeal to me much anymore.

It seems every post I make gets corrected or refuted because I'm not thinking "big picture" or "big world" enough. Perhaps I could one day come to understand this "mega mod" stuff, but that day is not today.
Well, the BiG World Project is not a single thing nor a single compilation model... it's the best known way to compile the mods together and if you find better, it's up to you to show how and make a contributions of ideas... that's what we all do.

Besides there isn't a Baldur's Gate mod God of Knowledge, yet, so everyone is welcomed to the community, as long as you try to keep a decent attitude, and learn.

Archived