WTP Familiars (revised Find Familiar spell)

A pleasure knowing that some other people enjoy this modification, @artyfox

I am sure there is lots of space for optimization in the code. Originally, it was not my intention to be the coder and I am sure there is vast space for improvements. I doubt @flamewing will work on his fork again. He's been quite unresponsive and didn't pop in here again for a long time now.

So for what it is worth, I would be glad to let you maintain the EE version, if you like.

I did make a few changes to my local version of WTP Familiars but it's only about small revisions to the familiar dialogues.

Cool! I'll be glad to lend my limited coding skills to this project. I'm learning wide-eyed everyday (the IE modding is an epic adventure!), but I'll focus on keeping the mod in a playable state for existing players. So I'll try not to break old compatibility, while smoothing out some functions where I can.

Just a quick question, have you tried the EE version on your BGT install? If you could test my EE version with your regular series of tests, and just let me know if everything is good. Then I can be sure I'm working from a good code base for backwards compatibility. Thanks! 🐣

I never tested the EE version so I can't know how well it worked on BGT.

Truth to be told, my series of testing was focused almost exclusively on the BG1 part of BGT.

About code optimization, I am quite sure it'd be possible to create an array for the level up process similar to how Bioware does with kits but my WeiDU knowledge is practically non-existent so I never dared delving into it.

Ok, at some point I'll create a BGT testing environment, to check backwards compatibility. @Salk, could you upload your WeiDU.log or recommended the common mods that most BGT players use?

I think Bioware just reads the xplevel.2da, and treats all kits the same as the base class. And from what I understand, there is no way to read off XP values from a 2DA table at runtime.

So the main purpose of the 2DA tables would be to allow WeiDU to write out the level up scripts programmatically, based on a template .baf file. The template file is what would make it easier to make future changes/tweaks to familiars. (Also players with no scripting knowledge, could adjust values in the 2DA file to their heart's content.)

BGT players tastes can vary drastically when it comes to what they'd install so it's difficult for me to suggest a list and at the moment I am not playing the game.

About the 2DA tables, yes, that is what I meant with my suggestion.

I honestly don't see myself adding any more feature to WTP Familiars in the future. I consider it done, but I think code optimization is still very desirable.

Mod updated to version 2.7.

Fixed missing and incorrent string references in BGEE/IWDEE
Fixed summoning inconsistency on first cast in BG(2)EE
Enabled proper installation of global scripts in BGEE/SOD campaign/IWDEE
Incorporated Salk's 2.55 dialogue refinements
Updated to WeiDU 249

This release brings working compatibility to EE games, resolving bugs in BGEE, and making familiars summonable in the SOD campaign and IWDEE (as Player1 only). It also brings the dialogue lines up to date with Salk's most recent revisions.

On 2.6, familiar HP seems to be buggy.  Hit points are correct for levels one and two for tested familiars (the Chaotic cast; cat, faerie dragon and quasit), but after that start doing weird things.  Sometimes the hit points go down, instead of increasing.  Or they only increase by one or two points - this is still before level 10, when hit point gain should be four per level.  At level 9, familiars only have 9 HP total.

This was originally noticed on my EET installation, but was retested on a clean BGEE install with only modmerge used in addition to WTP Familiars.  BG Radar Overlay was what first caused me to notice the inconsistencies, and I tested to make sure it wasn't simply outputting an incorrect value, primarily by having party members kick my poor cat with no weapons to see if it got knocked out with only a very small amount of damage compared to what its HP should be.

Other features that are gained on level up, such as damage resistances for the quasit, appeared to be properly applied.  This behavior remains in the 2.7 version that I just saw as I came to report this bug.

WTPCat.JPG

WTPQuasit.JPG

Version 2.58 for the classic engine will soon be uploaded.

This is the change-log:

Version 2.58:

Code modernization (still awfully rudimentary 🫣)

Minor text changes

(e) And it is out...

Edited by Salk

Hello Everyone.

I'm having an issue with the mod , I'm playing on EET install and I had was useing the Fairy but when entering SOD and I removed my familiar from the bag , it just dissappeard and I can't summon another familiar.

I don't even know the GLOBAL value so I can't even reset it.

Would really like some help.

(Also I wanted to ask as a side note is it possible that the imbue Familiar component from Tome and Blood is compatible with WTPFamoliars)

Unfortunately the first and then the second maintainer of the EE version went MIA.

I have no idea why the Familiar didn't appear after taking it out of the backpack but what you can do is to reset the Faerie Dragon's global to zero and cast the spell again, but this is likely going to cause issues.

The globals to reset, if I remember correctly, are WTPFAMA1 and WTPFAMCG (set them to 0). 

@SalkHonestly thanks for responding, tried what you said but no dice.

I think the issue is I installed Imbue Familiars from Tome and Blood, thinking it would affect WTPFamiliars but it didn't.

I honestly don't have time to uninstalled that Tome and Blood imbue familiar component,since I installed a mega mod and it would take time for my system to unistall it all and reinstsll.

Honestly a shame🙁, BG is my leaisure and this really irks me , I'm wondering if the Tome and Blood has its own Global Variable, but I really wouldn't know what that would be.

Not sure what the problem is; “Imbue Familiars” should not cause this issue from what I can see. (But also may not be compatible with this mod? But maybe it is! It does work with famfair.cre…)

Probably need a Weidu log. If you installed a different TnB component, like “Choose Your Own Familiar,” then you might have irreconcilable conflict.