IWD:EE mod questions

Kulyok

Hi! so, I'm having this little problem: I got IWD NPC to install, but for some reason, the dialogues all added to the German dialogue files, not the English one(my game is installed in English). Naturally, I can't see any lines from Korin or Nella - it's Invalid ... . I'm probably being silly here and not seeing the obvious, but how should I install the mod properly, so it adds to the English dialogue.tlk? Using Weidu 23600.

Also, I had to delete/comment some of my interjections: DCVQuest, DValesti, DKUKID, DKIERAN to get the mod to install, because I was getting messages the game couldn't find the file. I'm surprised - those were the existing original game dialogue files, what happened to them, why modify them?

Hi! so, I'm having this little problem: I got IWD NPC to install, but for some reason, the dialogues all added to the German dialogue files, not the English one(my game is installed in English). Naturally, I can't see any lines from Korin or Nella - it's Invalid ... . I'm probably being silly here and not seeing the obvious, but how should I install the mod properly, so it adds to the English dialogue.tlk? Using Weidu 23600.

Grab the latest beta--I believe this was already identified and fixed by Wisp.

Also, I had to delete/comment some of my interjections: DCVQuest, DValesti, DKUKID, DKIERAN to get the mod to install, because I was getting messages the game couldn't find the file. I'm surprised - those were the existing original game dialogue files, what happened to them, why modify them?

DVALESTI is present and used by Valestis; the rest are unused and not included. Kieran Nye uses DKIERAN2, just like he does in IWD. DCVQUEST appears to be an unused clone of the dialogue restored for the High Baptist's flock, who all use DCAPVIL3 when restored by IWDEE/UB. Closest I could find to the unused DKUKID is Nate in Kuldahar, DNATE.

Looking at the SVN, someone fixed some issues in Valestis' dialogue and it looks like a few states have moved around, so you're probably going to have to branch there anyway.

Since this is using BG2EE technology, are creature files having their script and dialogs assigned to their creature file instead of through the area file, which is what the original Icewind Dale did for some reason.

There was no reason to change what was already working, so scripts and dialogues are still assigned via areas as they were in IWD.

They will still work if assigned to the creature's file for mods?

Just like BG2, for creatures in the area file, the script/dialogue assignments in the area file override the scripts in the creature file for that instance of the creature only. Spawning via script (or area if those fields aren't set) will use the assignments from the creature file.

Since this is using BG2EE technology, are creature files having their script and dialogs assigned to their creature file instead of through the area file, which is what the original Icewind Dale did for some reason.

It's entirely a matter of coding conventions, not engine differences - BG2 could have been coded with IWD-style script assignments.

(I actually think the IWD style is more elegant - it makes reuse of creatures much easier.)

Good to know. Now I can proceed on repackaging a IWD mod.

What is the purpose of the ini files? I know this was talked about here or the BG forums, forget where otherwise I would look it up.

There are 2 ini types (at least).

1. hexnum.ini - these are externalized character animations.

2. areacode.ini - these are spawn ini files.

Archived