SubtleMods: NPC_EE - in-game customization for NPCs

Alright, here's one that may not be fixable. If the tome is used to make someone into a ranger(/cleric), there does not seem to be a way to pick a favored enemy. Given that it's normally chosen at character creation, that makes sense, but EEKeeper destroys my mod things if I try to open it up in there. I decided to swap Jaheira to R/C this round since I'd never tried the combo (and druid 15 is agonizingly long on F/D), and I was able to edit her file in a saved game after recruiting her, but it's definitely a clunky work around. Is there any way to add favored enemy selection as a dialogue box or special ability like you have for the memorizing spells or fixing thief scores?

Edited by Slythistle
11 hours ago, Slythistle said:

If the tome is used to make someone into a ranger(/cleric), there does not seem to be a way to pick a favored enemy

Oh yeah, huh. I didn’t notice because I mod that silly mechanic right out of my game. 

I can likely add this, but it will take a bit of time to parse the relevant files and have the mod auto-generate a list of enemies appropriate for an arbitrarily modded game. I’ll put it on the “to-do” list. (Which is mercifully short these days!)

3 hours ago, Morgoth said:

hey,

how hard would it be for you to add support to custom npc mods? For example, I would like to change the Deheriana's class inside Kivan & dehariana. 

Already works. All joinable NPCs get a Tome that you can use to change them. Any NPCs you don’t want to change, just throw their Tome away. 

I have an issue (is it an issue? I don't know).

Basically this is what happens.

I use the tome

Change everything 

After no more prompt pop up, I actually start by adding xp via the cheat.

After I finished levelling all the levels at once, once 5 seconds are passed, I get another level up.

I'm wondering: why is that happening ?

22 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

I have an issue (is it an issue? I don't know).

Basically this is what happens.

I use the tome

Change everything 

After no more prompt pop up, I actually start by adding xp via the cheat.

After I finished levelling all the levels at once, once 5 seconds are passed, I get another level up.

I'm wondering: why is that happening ?

I’m not sure what you are doing, but you are probably overthinking things. When you use the Tome, it drops you to level 0 but also notes how many XP you have, to calculate what level you will be restored to in your new class, a process related to how many proficiencies you will get, necessary due to a UI bug. When the process is complete, you should level up from zero. Then, once you have your desired class, feel free to add more XP via the console or do whatever you want. 

Put another way, you are doing two things - using this mod’s procedure, and making further manual changes - and you are mixing those processes together. Keep them separate for best results. 

However, that does not sound like what you are describing. My best guess is, you have installed my Stat Overhaul mod, which includes a running process that increases you XP if you have high Charisma. If your CHA score is giving you an 8% XP boost, then when you manually give yourself an XP value within 7% of the next level, a few seconds later the bonus will kick in and you will see the level-up indicator. 

Final possibility: there is some script in my game that increases the XP total of some NPCs to get near that of Charname. This might be something in the 2.6 patch, or it might be related to CDTweaks’ “TOB-Style NPCs.” I’m not sure. 

In any event, I advise patience. When you recruit an NPC, wait a few seconds for script to recognize them and do what needs doing. Then use the NPC_EE Tome, and let its processes play out. Then wait a few seconds, and then make any further manual changes you want. This will pretty much guarantee things turn out as you expect, and it only requires about 6-12 seconds for each one. 

Edited by subtledoctor
1 hour ago, subtledoctor said:

My best guess is, you have installed my Stat Overhaul mod, which includes a running process that increases you XP if you have high Charisma. If your CHA score is giving you an 8% XP boost, then when you manually give yourself an XP value within 7% of the next level, a few seconds later the bonus will kick in and you will see the level-up indicator. 

I have Stat overhaul installed, yes. I didn't think you could be so keen in identifying what could be happening. I plaud you for being that good.

By the way, I will be making another topic for my current bg2 playthrough as I did for bg1. Of course, it's not detailed as yours, but I still think it's worth reading some thoughts about playthroughs (even if I use them mostly to identify bugs).

BG:EE playthrough: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/36939-betatesting-tweaks-and-tricks-and-my-notes-about-my-playthrough/#comment-324641

Edited by Morgoth
36 minutes ago, Morgoth said:

Question: Adrian (Sorcerer) has a memorize spells icon in the menu for innates. What is it for? USing it does nothing.

It allows you to memorize spells after having modify spells known by Adrian if you used the book to customize him, so that you don't need to rest.

It can be useful if you change his class to mage or cleric for instance.

Edited by Trouveur80
19 hours ago, Morgoth said:

While Imoen had a button to improve a bit the ability skills.

There is an engine/UI bug that robs thieves of about 20 skill points if you drop them to level 0 and then level up normally. So that "Skill Focus" ability lets you put 20 points into one skill. (If you choose stealth, it puts 10 in HiS and 10 into MS.)

The 'Memorize Spells' thing just applies magical Wish rest, so you can change out your prepare spells and then cast them right away. Once. It is especially handy if you have Faiths & Powers and/or 5E Spellcasting installed.

11 hours ago, Adamvs_Maximvs said:

I assume that there's no way to add the tomes mid-playthrough if you install to an existing game?

This is one of the rare mods that is fine to install mid-game. Any NPCs who have been in the same area with you will not have the tome, but you can just add it via the console:

C:CreateItem(“d5_ckit”)

The only caveat is, if you have already leveled up an NPC and spent a proficiency point, then using the tome can leave you with more proficiency points than you are supposed to get. Ideal usage is immediately after recruiting someone.