SCS vs SR

Ok, Kreso I can't get a grasp of it. Are all those fixes included in SR 4 (a.ka. you are helping Demi and Mike) or will it be a standalone mod?

I would have gladly included it within SRv4 but I think it was easier for Kreso to make it work as a modified SCS. So, unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to install this instead of the standard SCS.

@Kreso, I said it already in private but I'll say it again: EPIC. :thumbsup:

EDIT:

- Disintegrate targeting fixed. (SRfix)
- Due to a bug in sfo, Blade Barrier would never be used by BG2 mages. Fixed. (fix)

- Disintegrate now destroy Mordy as per PnP, can be useful if AI mage don't have or has run out of Banishment

- you mean clerics?

Ok, Kreso I can't get a grasp of it. Are all those fixes included in SR 4 (a.ka. you are helping Demi and Mike) or will it be a standalone mod?

This is a "substitute" for SCS. You'll be able to download it and simply install it (like you did with SCS). Note that this is only for SR. I didn't include something like REQUIRE_FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME check, so don't use it with vanilla spell system. You can but it will be beyond broken.

I would have gladly included it within SRv4 but I think it was easier for Kreso to make it work as a modified SCS. So, unless I'm mistaken, you'll have to install this instead of the standard SCS.

The "problem" is that on SR side one can only do so much for compatibility. SCS has done a lot already (even before this SCS had numerous things only present in SR installs), I'm merely fine-tuning some stuff, accounting for some rather drastic changes like Spell Immunites, and I took the liberty to change some targeting parameters, make AI clerics use Break Enchantment since it's soo cool when you see it happening, and (probably the big thing of this tweak - enemies won't just stand there if you're protected by Spell Deflection - they'll cast against it, making the "number of spells absorbed" parameter Deflections have important).

In some cases, I've changed some scripts more :for example, if an enemy party has a cleric and you Feeblemind/Charm a fighter, enemy cleric will now cast Break Enchantment on him to remove the effect. I'd say it's a shame that AI wouldn't use some lovely SR stuff if it can be made to.

Stuff like this can't be done w/o tweaking SCS itself. There's no way to make clerics cast BE by tweaking SR alone.

Ok, so where can I download this puppy?

Edit: Is it work with BGEE/BG2EE?

You can't download it since it's not uploaded yet :D . Demi has sent me his latest SR version, I must do some stuff with it, then I'll run a test install on BGT+Ascension+Revisions+Refinements+SCS.

If SCS parses all scripts correcty, I'll upload it (eta tonight, CET.) I won't play a testing runthrough since it would delay the release for a week at least, and I recon it should work fine - I've tested it only on BG2, but I've changed BG1 scripts as well and SCS will bug out if a script misses a single bracket or has one letter too many - it's very delicate.

As for EE, I don't know. I haven't really followed EE/SCS compatibilities, are there any known fixes/issues? It should work since I don't really mess with "core" SCS files bar one instance, needed to get the damn Blade Barrier working in cleric prebuffs. If someone can point me to SCS/EE issues I'll easilly include it, if there are any.

Holly cow! EPIC. :thumbsup: Kreso, does you modified version of SCS have all patches from Big World Fixpack included?

No. I've included:

- Tamah not spawning

- Irenicus (Ascenison finale) bugged script - Mislead issue

I haven't included "Fallen solar has backup" thingie since I don't really think this is a bug. And anything making Ascension a bit more challenging is imo welcome. :cool:

Are there any more, is there a thread for this?

I'd personally love if it would work on EE's, fwiw - if it doesn't I'm sure it can be made to. Not everyone is a nostalgic dinosaur like me and frankly, EE (especially SoD with it's new opcodes) is the future of modding, regardless if I like it or not.

Holly cow! EPIC. :thumbsup: Kreso, does you modified version of SCS have all patches from Big World Fixpack included?

No. I've included:

- Tamah not spawning

- Irenicus (Ascenison finale) bugged script - Mislead issue

I haven't included "Fallen solar has backup" thingie since I don't really think this is a bug. And anything making Ascension a bit more challenging is imo welcome. :cool:

Are there any more, is there a thread for this?

Yes, list of patches: https://github.com/BiGWorldProject/BiG-World-Fixpack/tree/master/BiG%20World%20Fixpack/stratagems (Kreso will include them)

- Disintegrate targeting fixed. (SRfix)
- Due to a bug in sfo, Blade Barrier would never be used by BG2 mages. Fixed. (fix)

- Disintegrate now destroy Mordy as per PnP, can be useful if AI mage don't have or has run out of Banishment

- you mean clerics?

I'll see what can be done about Mordys (probably doable), and yes, clerics get Blade Barrier.

Considering Disintegrate is just one level lower than Mordy and doesn't have AoE, I'm not sure it is necessary to add to the list of possible tactics. If you have a Mordy in your face, you'll kill it with generic magic damage spell routine. Wasting a potential 40d6 damage just to kill a stray Mordy in a crowd when there's plenty other targets is suboptimal.

Yea, thinking about it, Mordy can now be destroyed even by physical attacks...probably not worth a 6th level slot to kill it.

I forgot about that tweak because I got no feedback on it, ever. :D You are still going to require A LOT of physical attacks with 95% dmg resistance, but yeah point taken.

Considering Disintegrate is just one level lower than Mordy and doesn't have AoE, I'm not sure it is necessary to add to the list of possible tactics. If you have a Mordy in your face, you'll kill it with generic magic damage spell routine. Wasting a potential 40d6 damage just to kill a stray Mordy in a crowd when there's plenty other targets is suboptimal.

Within SR neither Horrid Wilting nor Cause Wound spells hurt Mordy. Other than using multiple Magic Missiles and hope for good dmg rolls, your options to counter it with magic dmg are very limited.

In theory, Mordy shouldn't even be affected by "Death Spell". I obviously never changed that for SCS compatibility (something Kreso could handle now) but I'm not sure it's worth doing it and the change from Death Spell to Banishment makes it more acceptable imo.

Anyway, not a big deal. I wasn't suggesting to make Disintegrate the first choice to counter Mordy, just to consider it.

If you have Disintegrate and a Mordy attacks you, you'll still be able to discharge that Disintegrate and instakill it, just like you'd do against a humanoid fighter. So there's very little difference whether you have specific targeting block or not, it's nothing the standard "target the nearest enemy" routine wouldn't already manage.

On the other hand, if you do include such counter, it may do more harm than good when facing multiple enemies, because 1) you run a risk of wasting Disintegrate on a Mordy when Minsc or Sarevok is running amok nearby, 2) it will be quite exploitable to reliably drain the enemy of his Disintegrates.

It would be more reasonable if the level difference between spells was at least 2-3, but not when it's 1. Or if Mordy was a real threat that couldn't be resisted with stoneskins and weapon immunities - I'd certainly do it against Nishruu, but not when it's a fighter summon with low ApR and short duration.

Archived