SR Revised V1.3.900 (2022 August 8th)

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Would it be possible to add an .ini option where you can multiply the duration of the spells? 

I advise against such a thing.  It can be done (I've done it); but there are a ton of "spells" in the game that are not really meant to have their duration changed - things happening in cut-scenes, etc.  If you apply the multiple with a broad brush then it can screw things up where you don't expect it to.  OTOH if you apply the multiple with a finer brush, like with a static list, then you are bound to miss any number of mod spells and the change won't be uniform.

12 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Would it be possible to add an .ini option where you can multiply the duration of the spells? 

Possible? I'm sure. By me? No chance. Sounds like an absolute nightmare to design and test for fringe use. The good news is something like that can be done completely independent of the SR installer and it would make no difference because it's a total patch job - but that still means needing to find someone to code it up.

Edited by Bartimaeus
an s

It can be done with the “Low Magic World“ mod I made with Aquadrizzt. It has a component meant to make spell durations shorter: it defines four duration categories, short/medium/long/all-day. There is an .ini file in which you can set the min and max durations to define which spells fall into each category, and then set the new duration for each category. It’s default values make spells shorter but there’s no reason you can’t make them longer instead. 

But like I say, this carries lots of side-effects. E.g. my weapon styles mod has a shield-bash effect that can knock opponents down for 6 seconds. If you set all short-duration spells to last 1 turn, then suddenly a shield bash will incapacitate enemies for 10 rounds! 

If you exercise great care and attention in defining the four categories, you might be able to make it work well. Maybe. Me, I’ve given up on it. 

Edited by subtledoctor

@Bartimaeus

Regarding banishment again. I had the opportunity to test it one more time fighting some druids, one of the summoned 2 wyverns and I used it against them. They both died instantly with no save. Based on that I'm thinking that the spell is working but is forcing a save of more creatures than it should because very similarly summoned wyverns before these saved vs banishment.

Now that I think about it, I noticed the animation to "summon" wyverns is the vines portal, isn't that what "gated" means? You open a gate and they come through? Does that mean that wyverns and dryads are considered gated creatures? Probably unrelated since I tested this with spiders that are definitely NOT gated and 2 out of 3 spiders saved.

I have a minor bug. Probably something with my EET install but I noticed that the spell "Flesh to Stone" has the wrong spell description (some random line of dialog). I fixed it myself in NI but I'm not sure why that specific spell (so far) is the only one with that problem.

EDIT: Just realized that Melf's Acid Arrow might be ticking for one extra acid damage than expected. I'm currently level 13th and it claims that it does 1d6+2 missile damage plus 2d4 acid damage on hit, then it does 2d4 extra acid damage at the end of every round for the duration of the spell. According to the description it should be 4 rounds at level 13th (capped at 5 rounds at 15th level). Currently testing it on my party members I can see 6 ticks of acid damage. (1 for the initial hit and 5 extra ones instead of the expected 4)

Edited by NdranC
Guest guest
22 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

I advise against such a thing.  It can be done (I've done it); but there are a ton of "spells" in the game that are not really meant to have their duration changed - things happening in cut-scenes, etc.  If you apply the multiple with a broad brush then it can screw things up where you don't expect it to.  OTOH if you apply the multiple with a finer brush, like with a static list, then you are bound to miss any number of mod spells and the change won't be uniform.

Thanks a lot for sharing your knowledge even with a guest. ❤️

@Bartimaeus After reading what Subtledoctor said doubt very much it would be worth it to make such a mod.

Personally what I was looking for was a mod to make buff lasts 3x more. Pissed to have to cast them lot of times, but w/e, you can't have everything.

7 hours ago, Cahir said:

@Bartimaeusdo you plan to do a "release" versions like you did with IRR, or "master branch" is safe to use?

Master version *should* be safe to use, I intend for it to be, but as I don't test every single last minor commit that I do, it is inherently more prone to having a rare error or two. There are only a few changes from SR V1.3.100 (which I released but have not updated the thread for because I need to compile patch notes first) and the master, which is restored hold animations for hold spells, BG1 temples getting their party-targetable Dispel Magic spells (replacing Remove Magic) restored, and a very minor compatibility fix with SCS regarding Death Knights that could cause non-fatal errors.

@NdranC: The summoning animation is just that - an animation. It would probably help to tell you how Banishment works. All Banishment does is slay by gender: creatures with the "summoned (6)" or "summoned [no limit] (20 or 0x14)" genders are slain instantly, while creatures with the "summoned demon (9)" genders get a saving throw. Unless you think rando spiders and such are currently set to be a fiend, the saving throw appearing is simply a minor bug (that I already corrected in the latest version), and they wouldn't have been banished regardless of whether or not they saved, because their gender is probably set incorrectly to something else. Thing is, I've already checked all of my creatures to make sure they have the correct gender summoned, and they do...but I would not be surprised to see if another mod was resetting some of them.

Edited by Bartimaeus

@NdranChttps://github.com/BartyMae/Bart_Tweaks

The fifth component, "Set Summonable Flag", sets the gender to the correct value for all vanilla, SR/R, and atweaks summonables. I discovered that atweaks erroneously resets the genders of a number of summonable creatures to non-summonable values, and since atweaks is installed long after SR (and in fact SCS), the only thing I can do is patch it after the fact. May be worth installing to see if it solves your problems with Banishment.

Edited by Bartimaeus
10 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@NdranChttps://github.com/BartyMae/Bart_Tweaks

The fifth component, "Set Summonable Flag", sets the gender to the correct value for all vanilla, SR/R, and atweaks summonables. I discovered that atweaks erroneously resets the genders of a number of summonable creatures to non-summonable values, and since atweaks is installed long after SR (and in fact SCS), the only thing I can do is patch it after the fact. May be worth installing to see if it solves your problems with Banishment.

Ah that is really cool, do you think it should be safe enough for me to run it on my current install? I'll make a backup and try it anyway and report if I notice the change. I haven't been able to check myself the gender of the summons because for some reason NI when it crawls/indexes through all the files in my BG install does so REALLY slowly under linux. Makes it a pain in the ass to do general meandering in it.

Also I think you might have missed my edits on my last post both here and in IR. Just checking since you didn't mention them.

PS: Looking at your tweak mod it seems you implemented a lot of the changes that I manually do to my own game like 3e inspired stat progression, I don't see strength there but I really recommend it. I have so many characters at 10 or 12 strength that when I equip one of the +3 str belts they get no benefit while people at 17 get a MASSIVE boots. I rather spread out the bonuses 3e style and get rid of that awful extra str mod at 18.

PS2: Just noticed your readme lacks the description for "Alternative Weapon Mastery". Seems missing. Interested in knowing about that since I did some changes to it myself.

Edited by NdranC

Could you elaborate on what "Remove random treasures does?" Does that include scrolls?

Banishment: Ok so I went ahead and after applying the path I opened NI and made a list with all the creatures with the gender=summoned -6 property. I wanted to test it but after some random trial and error the only mage I could get to summon things was using efreets, demonds and elementals. The demonds and the elementals were getting a save (aka didn't always work, I personally only see it work on a single air elemental once) and it wasn't working on the efreets either. Luckly I noticed when I was looking for the efreets description that they are supposed to be immune to banishment even though they are summoned.

Of the top of my head I can't remember how banishment is supposed to work on elemental but I thought they get a save? According to my list all elementals are considered summoned - 6 so either I'm remembering wrong or something else is going on.

I'll start using NI to keep track of my summons while in combat to see if I can see them but a little suggestion from my side would be maybe clarify a little more which summons/spells is this supposed to work on. Or at least mentions the exceptions since efreets apparently are one.

Gender=SUMMONED - 6.txt

Edited by NdranC

@NdranC Can't confirm Stone to Flesh description bug - seems perfectly fine to me. Would have to changelog it to get an idea of what set it incorrectly.

Melf's Acid Arrow: Also can't confirm, everything looks to be in order to me. Does the initial 1D6+2 missile + 2D4 acid damage at the very beginning (separate rolls, both would appear separately in the chat log at the start), then another 2D4 times 4 rounds, for a total of 6 different messages.

3rd Edition-style Stats: There is a mod called "TB#Tweaks" that I use for 3rd Edition-style stats, though I have my own mildly modified version of it to...either to fix something with a couple of them or solve what I felt were inconsistencies - can't remember the exact details. That Constitution tweak in my tweakpack is just an additional modification on top of that. IR seemed to be clearly designed around 3rd-edition style stats with it switching all "set [stat] to 18-24" items to simple bonuses instead - simple bonuses being either virtually useless in half cases or ridiculously overpowered in the other half depending on where the given character is, with not much in between.

Alternative Weapon Mastery: I'll write up a description for that. I don't remember exactly what it does which is why I haven't, all I know is that I liked it better, :p.

Banishment: So the creatures are now set to the correct gender, but Banishment still isn't banishing them? Can I get a copy of your Banishment (spwi605)? I have no idea what's going on there, especially since my Banishment seems to always work when I test it. And wait, what, Efreet are immune to Banishment? Since when, where are you reading that? What's going on with summonables and banishment in your game? :p

Random Treasures; If it's a randomly generated treasure on a creature, it's gonezo, doesn't matter what kind. If it's a set treasure that the creature always spawns with, then it remains (...with one exception - I get rid of a few gold pieces from...I want to say some kind of mass-produced hobgoblin that *looked* like a random treasure and might as well have been, but technically wasn't). I don't like having to bother to examine every single creature body and pick up 95% what is 2 gold or silver rings throughout the game. This also means you won't see random but rare 7th level spells on peasants in Shadows of Amn, either - but honestly, I find that's for the best in order to figure out what might need more representation in the game and what doesn't - relying on randomly generated treasure on peasants and such just seems like a bad idea to me.

Edited by Bartimaeus

@Bartimaeus

Banishment: It's right in the description of the spell, same for Djinni. "The gated genie is immune to Banishment and has access to..."

Spoiler

UX9v9pw.jpg

I'll get back to you on the file since for some reason is not letting me upload it.

Ticking Damage: It occurred to me that it could be multiplayer related and that seems to be the case. Almost all tick based damage of effects are slightly off. As the host if I cast them I get an extra tick while my guest gets one less tick. In single player everything works as expected. Nothing that we can do about it I guess.

Random Treasures: I really like that idea. I'm probably going to use it for next time.

Weapon Mastery: Please do, I made my own that changes prof cap to 4 (including styles) 4 is reserved to pure fighters, 3 paladin/rangers/multifighters, 2 clerics/thief/bards, 1 mages. With a lot extra prof so you can actually have multiple main weapons. Moved around a lot of stuff. I honestly want to use someones else's if I like it because I don't know very well how to code in weidu even though I've modified some of the existing IR code to suit my needs, it's a lot more time investment to learn to do it from scratch and also work with other mods.

Flesh to Stone: Not sure, it has happened twice in 2 different (not recent) EET installs. If you are interested I could do that thingy that shows what mods modified a file but since I manually fixed it and it doesn't seem to be generalized I could keep an eye out for the next time I make a new install.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, the Hakeashar has a weird description, not sure if it's intentional but it mentions that a Hakeashar is an upgraded Nishiruu and then proceeds to never call the summon a Hakeashar and instead always uses the name Nishiruu.

Edited by NdranC
12 minutes ago, NdranC said:

I made my own that changes prof cap to 4 ... 4 is reserved to pure fighters, 3 paladin/rangers/multifighters, 2 clerics/thief/bards, 1 mages. With a lot extra prof so you can actually have multiple main weapons

That sounds a lot like what I coded in Scales of Balance. It also removes the level 7 +1/2 APR bonus for warriors and instead adds 1/2 APR for each higher level of mastery. 

Edited by subtledoctor
3 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

That sounds a lot like what I coded in Scales of Balance. It also removes the level 7 +1/2 APR bonus for warriors and instead adds 1/2 APR for each higher level of mastery. 

Actually I used it on my previous client and I really liked it. I also liked the Potions used by everybody that you have there. The reason I had to stop using it is because I think you are using scripts to have the extra especial effects for styles and stats. Problem with that is that is was a little "sluggish" because you have to swap to a new weapon, get out of your inventory, unpause the game for 2 seconds, get back into the inventory and then see what changed. So I took heavy inspiration on your mod to achieve something similar without having to use scripts for the extra fancy bits since I was pretty happy with the default ones.

I was also upset with the proficiency progression for most classes since unless you were a fighter you never get to put points beyond 1 or 2 which I think it's pretty lame. I understand that fighter only have proficiencies going on for them so I made sure t4 was beefy and reserved for them (or a single weapon for a rare kit) and distributed the other points a little more evenly among the other classes. The extra proficiency points per level feels great when you want to prepare several weapon sets (like a crushing set, a slashing/piercing set and a range set) and you can work it smoother into your fighter progression.

I really like some of the other stuff in your mods. I wanted so badly to use the component that gives extra spell slots based on charisma. But for some reason I've always had inconsistent and often really buggy results when I installed your mods with the EET Expanded World Installer. Like classes that would not work, missing component, broken text entries. Instead of figuring it out at the time and bother you with "bug" reports I decided to stick to the SCS+IR+SR main plan and then just make my own 2da edits for the basic stuff. I'll definitely plan on making a playthrough at some point with all the mods in your footer. Actually now that I have a little of your attention. What kind of other author mods do you recommend using  with yours for a cohesive experience?

2 hours ago, NdranC said:

Problem with that is that is was a little "sluggish" because you have to swap to a new weapon, get out of your inventory, unpause the game for 2 seconds, get back into the inventory and then see what changed

Just FYI this is only with the revised styles - not the basic weapon proficiency component. The way revised styles works is much more... exotic than most mods.