Level Drain

SimDing0

I remember Wes saying that they're actually immune to level drain, but not to the text message "Level Drained." That was a while ago, though, so you may have more current and contradictory information. Either way, of course, it's worth fixing.

According to the Valen forum, undead are not immune to level drain. They probably should be, no? (And while we're at it, so should a ton of other CRE types. An easy way to broadly cover missing immunities would be some mega effect patching to CREs based on race.)

What about creating an undroppable item that does nothing but bestow immunity to Level Drain (and the text message) and using ADD_CRE_ITEM to add it to every creature that needs fixed.

I think we need to take a more generalized approach to this.

We should probably think of effects in terms of groups--level draining means immunity to level draining, the strings that say '1 level drained,' '2 levels drained', etc., as well as the portrait icon and animation. Do a search and replace; if they're immune to level drain, make sure the immunities to the strings and other effects are there. Same approach for Hold Person--rather than finding the umpteen items that forget to have immunity to the 'Held' string, animation, or portrait icons, we search for Hold immunity and then add the missing immunities. This would also solve a lot of the problems we find with items and spells.

The bad news is that since these are general effects searches, we should be looking through items, spells, and creatures.

I think patching to add effects to cre files is better than adding items which contain those effects.

But, it would rely on the cre files being correctly marked.

Hopefully, we've fixed most of that anyway, but I wouldnt trust the cre data 100%. Something in my gut is telling me the IE just doesnt like having sensible data, and that if we fix all files, it will randomly decide all vampires are dogs or something :)

I think we need to take a more generalized approach to this.

Right, but I think it might also be worth doing a mass patch based on CRE type, to ensure that all undead have level drain and fear immunity embedded in their CREs, for example. That'd require a list of what creature types should be immune to what.

Archived