Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

9 hours ago, Marvin said:

a recent mod by DavidW called Talent of Faerun. I am interested in some of its component. I understand it cannot be compatible with FnP, but if I don't install the cleric kits, the sphere system and anything related with FnP can those two mods be compatible, and if so, what would be the installation order according to you?

They seem like they should be compatible, but honestly I don't really have any idea how ToF is structured. It seems like ToF is working out its bugs before dealing compatibility with other mods.

If they are compatible, then install order... FnP should generally be the last kit mod. But, DavidW tends to write mods with the assumption that they will be the last mods installed, or the only mods installed. So that might not work well? Worst-case, maybe install FnP but not the multiclass components, then installe ToF, then install the FnP multiclass components.  But even there... ToF seems to include a bunch of multilcass kits, and it seems like he might have rolled his own custom method for making multlclass kits rather than using the established method. (Maybe?) So... I really don't know.

Both FnP and ToF try to do similar things. The spells and tweaks for spells, rules, race, skills, and (some of, customizable) vanilla kit revisions, are, I think, compatible with FnP. But I wouldn't risk mixing anything related to priests classes, pallies and spheres. Moreso because both go around the multikit classes matter in different ways, and I'm afraid that looking too closely into an installation with both systems would burn my eyes.

Stick with one or the other, but not both.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 1:53 PM, subtledoctor said:

Yeah there have been a bunch of updates. Make sure you use the SubtleD branch for now, it is the most up-to-date in many ways.

I should probably merge the branches, I have only hesitated because I am not sure if @Grammarsalad approves of the changes to paladins. Pulling some of the traditional paladin and zealot abilities (smite, lay on hands, frenzy, certain immunities) into the three Defender/Inquisitor/Zealot archetypes required changes to several kits that Grammarsalad designed, and I feel bad about that so I don't want to make that official until it is officially blessed by Grammarsalad. Also, on my own end, I have done a lot of work on druids and on spontaneous casting in the last couple years.

But all that work is done and I daresay the mod is in a pretty good state right now. I would almost say we could call this a proper "version 1.0." The only things from the original to-do list that we still haven't gotten to are 1) specific holy symbols for each deity; and 2) individualized determination of which temple stronghold you get (currently this works by alignment, just as it does for the Tyr and Tempus kits in the unmodded game). Holy symbols will probably never happen, only because it would involve designing custom .BAM images for every deity, and that simply isn't in our skillset. #2 could happen, but I have not heard from players that the alignment-based stronghold determination actually needs replacing. Hard to jusify hours and hours of work for a part of the game that seems to be fine.

No worries, man. Do what you think is best. Always. I trust any change you would make to be a change for the better

Edited by Grammarsalad

I just want to double check that this is normal behavior -- I'm using FnP 0.90 (well... in the process, trying to iron out some bugs with my install).  It seems the normal BGEE behavior is to show a list of cleric spells at character creation and allow you to select them as your memorized spells.  FNP seems to only allow you to pick 1 or 2 total, and once you get into the game you can select things as you wish, and I assume that's why a (seemingly one time) "memorize" innate ability has been added.  Let me know if I'm misunderstanding that. 

I always wanted to ask about how it handles additional spells.  Every spell is given a sphere (or universal), so if a modded spell is added, how does fnp handle that?  Optimally, I want to use nuFNP but I was unsure about its compatibility with mods that add more spells, whereas I imagine vanilla plus wouldn't have any issues.  Apologies if this has been asked before, I skimmed the thread but didn't see anything!

12 minutes ago, wholesalegerbils said:

normal BGEE behavior is to show a list of cleric spells at character creation and allow you to select them as your memorized spells.  FNP seems to only allow you to pick 1 or 2 total, and once you get into the game you can select things as you wish, and I assume that's why a (seemingly one time) "memorize" innate ability has been added.  Let me know if I'm misunderstanding that.

That is exactly right. Unfortunately kit effects, including sphere system spells, are not applied until after the spell selection screen in character generation. You can actually see this as you click through the screens - your “known spells” will go from few or none to many dozens of spells. But this happens after the memorization part, so we need to allow for memorization after the fact. 

15 minutes ago, wholesalegerbils said:

wanted to ask about how it handles additional spells

Sphere systems are designed by lists in the faiths_and_powers/data/sphere_systems/ folder. Spells from other mods need to be specifically included in each sphere system, to work. So generally, adding spells from other mods will not be included for priests with this mod. 

However, the sphere system lists can include spells that are not in the game. So for example I include the spells added by Spell Revisions, but FnP does not require Spell Revisions. I think I include support for the MiH Spell Pack as well? Maybe? Similar allowance can be made for spells added by other mods. But it has to be done by hand. 

You can do this yourself, if you want. Install your spell mods, then open up the .tpa file for your preferred sphere system, and add the filenames or IDS name of any spells you want to add. There sphere lists are human-readable and it is easy to add more spells. Then save that file and install. Voila, the new spells will be applied to spheres in your game.