Unearthed Arcana presents Faiths & Powers: Gods of the Realms

On 10/15/2023 at 1:33 PM, subtledoctor said:

don’t know why SCS would mess this up. One possibility I’ve seen hints of: it seems like, when I bring a character down to level 0, the game tries to apply some CLAB effects then, even though it should not happen until 1st level.

Yeah, it's possible. Ultimately both the 'customize class' and 'start at level 0' aspects of that SCS component are fairly hacky- it works pretty much fine on the otherwise-unmodded game but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it interacts awkwardly with other mods that tweak classes etc.

1 hour ago, DavidW said:

works pretty much fine on the otherwise-unmodded game but I wouldn't be at all surprised if it interacts awkwardly with other mods that tweak classes etc.

I haven’t done extensive testing, except to suppress the behavior - as noted, the solution happily ended up being simple and otherwise harmless:

Spoiler
ACTION_DEFINE_ASSOCIATIVE_ARRAY clabs_to_check BEGIN
  clabfi01    =>  1
  clabrn01    =>  1
  clabpa01    =>  1
  clabpr01    =>  1
  clabdr01    =>  1
  clabmo01    =>  1
  clabth01    =>  1
  clabba01    =>  1
  clabma01    =>  1
END

COPY_EXISTING ~kitlist.2da~ ~override~
  READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW ~r2en_kitlist~ 10
  FOR (row = 2; row < r2en_kitlist; row += 1) BEGIN
    READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER ~r2en_kitlist~ row 5 kit_clab
    SPRINT $clabs_to_check(~%kit_clab%~)~1~
  END
BUT_ONLY

APPEND ~splprot.2da~ ~D5_LEVEL_IS%TAB%34%TAB%0%TAB%1~ UNLESS ~D5_LEVEL_IS~
COPY_EXISTING ~splprot.2da~ ~override~
	COUNT_2DA_COLS cols
	READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW rows cols
	FOR (row = 1; row < rows; ++row) BEGIN
	  READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER rows row 0 ~stat~
	  PATCH_IF ~%stat%~ STRING_EQUAL_CASE ~D5_LEVEL_IS~ BEGIN
	    SET level_is_row = %row%
	  END
	END
BUT_ONLY

ACTION_PHP_EACH clabs_to_check AS clab => ind BEGIN
  ACTION_IF (FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%clab%.2da~) BEGIN
    COPY_EXISTING ~%clab%.2da~ ~override~
      COUNT_2DA_COLS cols
      READ_2DA_ENTRIES_NOW r2en_clab cols
      FOR (row = 0; row < r2en_clab; ++row) BEGIN
        READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER r2en_clab row 1 kit_abil
        PATCH_IF (~%kit_abil%~ STRING_CONTAINS_REGEXP ~AP_~) = 0 BEGIN
          SPRINT $ap_l1_abils(~%kit_abil%~)~1~
        END
      END
    BUT_ONLY
  END
END

ACTION_PHP_EACH ap_l1_abils AS l1_abil => ind BEGIN
  OUTER_INNER_PATCH_SAVE l1_abil ~%l1_abil%~ BEGIN
    REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~AP_~ ~~
  END
  COPY_EXISTING ~%l1_abil%.spl~ ~override~
    LPF ADD_SPELL_EFFECT INT_VAR insert_point = 0 target = 1 opcode = 318 parameter1 = 0 parameter2 = %level_is_row% timing = 0 duration = 1 STR_VAR resource = EVAL ~%l1_abil%~ END
  IF_EXISTS BUT_ONLY
END

This could definitely affect vanilla kits. Perhaps they just don’t have clab spells that are structured in a way that exposes it? But like I say I haven’t tested - it’s possible this could give doubled 1st-level bonuses to Swashbucklers, or extra traps to Bounty Hunters, etc. 

Edited by subtledoctor
48 minutes ago, kijikun said:

Is this safe to update in an existing game?

I would not do so unless it is or is close to the last mod you have installed.

It will only affect paladins with the "Zealot" archetype - if you are not using any of those, then you won't even see anything wrong and you can ignore it.

Something came up after installing Reddbane's 3.5E Weapon Style Rebalance here. Not too worried about any incompatibilities or that mod being outdated, but just in case this might be a issue in F&P.

When trying to install the "Rangers Have No Offhand to-hit Penalty" component, I get this: "ERROR: [kitlist.2da] -> [override/kitlist.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("resource [*.2DA] not found for 'APPEND'"))"

I don't know how to interpret that error, but it seems to happen only when F&P's Cleric/Rranger multi kits are present. If I open kitlist.2da, and delete only those lines (about five, all of them with the ID 18 for ranger and among those installed by F&P), that mod then installs without problems.

Just worried this may indicate a problem in F&P that might have been flying under the radar, that's all.

Sounds like that mod is simply unequipped to handle the possibility of multiclass kits or something. There is nothing weird about FnP’s multiclass ranger kits, apart from the basic fact that  multiclass ranger kits do not exist in the unmodded game. 

EDIT - or actually, it is probably that ADD_KIT_EX is coded to not list the kit ability table for multiclass kits, only putting “ * ” instead. I don’t love this, given that my multiclass kits actually have ability tables; but some multiclass kits do not, so I think this was a reasonable decision by @argent77

So Reddbsne’s mod is choking when not finding an ability table to patch for multiclass ranger kits; but OTOH patching the table of a multiclass kit does nothing anyway - you need to patch the QD_MCx## files. So long story short, Reddbane’s mod should not be trying to patch multiclass ranger tables at all. 

Edited by subtledoctor
17 hours ago, subtledoctor said:

EDIT - or actually, it is probably that ADD_KIT_EX is coded to not list the kit ability table for multiclass kits, only putting “ * ” instead. I don’t love this, given that my multiclass kits actually have ability tables; but some multiclass kits do not, so I think this was a reasonable decision by @argent77

ADD_KIT_EX does indeed add a CLAB placeholder entry for multiclass kits to kitlist.2da. Does adding a valid CLAB table have any effect for multiclass kits (except to satisfy the expectations of some mods)?

7 hours ago, argent77 said:

ADD_KIT_EX does indeed add a CLAB placeholder entry for multiclass kits to kitlist.2da. Does adding a valid CLAB table have any effect for multiclass kits (except to satisfy the expectations of some mods)?

Realistically, mods should not have those expectations. My own mods got tripped up a bit when I first switched to using ADD_KIT_EX, but as I say the solution was simply to add IF_EXISTS to the code… which should be there anyway. And patching a multiclass kit table is useless so that doesn’t matter.

The only benefit to including the kit table is for inspection purposes - if I want to get a sense of what abilities a kit gets, it is way easier to look at a 2da file - even a non-functioning one - then sort through all the 177 effects in 50 different QD_MCx .spl files. 

But that is of limited utility, and considering that ADD_KIT_EX is designed to allow the incorporation of multiple 2da tables, it seems like more trouble than it is worth to change it. 

Something else I just noticed playing IWD1 with Lava's Dusky. While getting the C/T Nightrunner of Mask multi kit, for some reason he's able to use shaman spells and items, and the dual class button is enabled for him.

Doesn't look like it's causing anything worse than that that I can see, so it's appears to be just a harmless accident as long as I don't do anything silly/stupid. But I can't say if it's due to another mod (CDTweaks class components? Can't think of anything else), and if so what files to check.

12 hours ago, Connelly said:

Something else I just noticed playing IWD1 with Lava's Dusky. While getting the C/T Nightrunner of Mask multi kit, for some reason he's able to use shaman spells and items, and the dual class button is enabled for him.

Are you using a sphere system? The Shaman spells are incorporated, so kits with certain spheres will get (some of) those spells. 

I’ve also noticed the dual-class button being active for multiclass peeps… might be an odd result of ADD_KIT_EX. Seems harmless though…? (I mean, I guess I’ve never tried to actually press the button. I can only tell you, knowing the engine as I do, it would not work. Either nothing would happen, or you would lose your multiclass features.)

Ah yes, I'm using the third sphere, the "Vanilla mimic" one; the shaman items allowance just made me think it'd be something else (that said, it's curiously redundant to be allowed both Raise Dead and Recall Spirit). But yeah, neither the items nor the button seem to be anything to be too worried about.