My mod corrupts the dialog.tlk, and wanna know why.

Wizer13

Hi everyone, another (yet again) problem with the dialog.tlk. 

Once I try my mod, it now corrupts the dialog.tlk and messes all the entries of NPCs, items, and what not. 

Before it didn't do that, all entries were working fine up to @ 2035.  I only add recently my other dialogues and item descriptions since they weren't showing with my previous attempts. 

So, in my file of .tra it goes from @ 2035 to @104385. It was easier for me since those were the # attributed by NearInfinity.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@2032 =  ~Factol Rhys of the Transcendant Order~
@2033 =  ~Bariaur sedan chair~
@2034 =  ~Bariaur sedan chair~
@2035 =  ~Bariaur sedan chair~

@104385= ~Kamus weapon contraption~

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could it be that the gap between those referenced lines messes up the dialog.tlk, or that the numbers given by NearInfinity provoked this issue, replacing strings I thought didn't exist? I tried uninstalling the game and reinstalling it, making sure no traces of the mod was left, and tried again, same result. 

So, do I have to change all references and make sure they follow @2035, @2036, etc? Or is there a way around this issue. Normally, I would think that if you reference in a script @# it would only go to the line referenced, not mess up the whole thing?

Seriously, I'm being fed up by the whole exercice. Been working two years and a half, and still can't run my mod properly to test it. 

Well it's a big mod (about 5G) so I'll just link the .tp2 file and the .tra file. It's a campaign so I'll not be able to post it here. And I know I'll have several issues to correct afterwards, but at least I want to be able to run without constantly bugging. Thanks in advance. I'd really like to understand what I do wrong, but my I'm still learning by trial-error. 

Setup-FW.rar PPNPC.tra AR2600.baf

It's hard to tell with only tp2 and tra. I don't see anything obvious wrong when looking at the files. EDIT: I'm not good at debugging by looking at tp2, as it seems.

Using the tra line numbering like this is no problem, so that shouldn't be the source of your problem. I'd suggest starting with a completely new installed game, and after installing the mod install a new game and see whether the problem persists.

Yup @kjeron, I edited all items with NearInfinity so all references are already with the right strings. But, you think this could provoke the issue? I added the strings to the .tra because the strings were reported invalid in previous attempts. But after integrating them now it messes all the dialog.tlk. So maybe that's the issue... *sigh* Should have kept the old coding with

COPY~~ ~~Override\~

SAY~~ 

Ill retype the items in their old way and test it out. Thx! 

If all of those items have strings that are contained in the vanilla game (I doubt that - why add new items in that case?), and the mod can never be installed on any other games (i.e. it’s a mod for BG2EE only, and cannot be installed on BGT/BGEE/SoD/IWDEE) then that might work. 

But if you *added* any strings via NI then they will not be portable - you will lose them every time you reinstall the mod. 

This is what i learned recently and why i added the strings to the .tra @subtledoctor. Its a mod only used for BGEE. But at first i wanted to implement this campaign in BG2EE (but couldnt resolve the part where it would take the slot of SoD, as suggested by K4thos) so some items came from that game. Would that cause issues also if transferred into BGEE? If so I might have some problems then, although most items are without uses, only for storyline purpose only.