Proper and Upper Case Player1 Pronouns .tpa and .tra

I've finished a little component that can be added to your mod that will allow you to use proper and upper case player1 pronouns just like normal pronouns.  As of now, it's only in English, but if you can translate into other languages, feel free to add the tra files.

I've never collaborated on a project in github before, but everything's there.  In fact, I've barely ever used github, so if I need to add or change something, just let me know.

The files can be found here.

Edited by Lauriel
Fixed typos

I can't even pretend I'd know how that works!

Would you add a note to translators, currently I wouldn't know which of the strings would need translation, and to what.

One question: the in full upper case entries in the tra (HE, SHE etc) do they really need to be in te tra, i.e. would they be translated?

And... How would I use this as a modder?..:ph34r:

EDIT: thanks for the kind words, but I definitely did not help with this one. 😅

27 minutes ago, jastey said:

EDIT: thanks for the kind words, but I definitely did not help with this one. 😅

Oh yes you did.  You gave me the idea to include the .tra files.  Which gave me no small amount of hair-pulling, thank you very much. :)

Would you add a note to translators, currently I wouldn't know which of the strings would need translation, and to what.

One question: the in full upper case entries in the tra (HE, SHE etc) do they really need to be in te tra, i.e. would they be translated?

I know I don't understand the question.  HE SHE, yes, needs to be translated, for example to French IL ELLE.  That sort of thing.  If it's in the .tra, it needs to be translated if they want it to come out in their language.  I know you know this, so I know I'm not understanding the question.  I'm confused.

And... How would I use this as a modder?..:ph34r:

I suppose I should add that to the read-me.  The tpa gets included wherever you need to use a proper or upper pronoun, the case.tra files need to be put where your other tra's are and has to be included in your array of translation files to be reloaded, and listed where you have the other tra's listed.  Like:

Spoiler

ALWAYS
   ACTION_IF NOT GAME_IS ~eet~ BEGIN
      FAIL @1
   END

ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY transitions_noconvert BEGIN setup END
   ACTION_DEFINE_ARRAY transitions_reload BEGIN game cases END

LAF HANDLE_CHARSETS
      INT_VAR
         infer_charset = 1
      STR_VAR
         tra_path = EVAL ~transitions/languages~
         noconvert_array = transitions_noconvert
         reload_array = transitions_reload
    END
END

LANGUAGE ~American English~ ~american~   
   ~transitions/languages/american/setup.tra~
   ~transitions/languages/american/game.tra~
   ~transitions/languages/american/cases.tra~

As far as including the tpa - just like any other:

Spoiler

/////////////////////////////////////
// CLEAN-UP QUESTS                 //
// THIS COMPONENT HAS FOUR OPTIONS //
/////////////////////////////////////
BEGIN @13       // MOD 20
DESIGNATED 20
// This option has Sarevok's survivors flee upon his death to give more quests
SUBCOMPONENT @12
REQUIRE_PREDICATE (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~transitions/setup-transitions.tp2~ 0) OR (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~transitions/setup-transitions.tp2~ 1) OR (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~transitions/setup-transitions.tp2~ 2) @8
INCLUDE ~transitions/components/cases.tpa~    // Add proper and upper case player1 pronouns
INCLUDE ~transitions/components/winski_escapes.tpa~
INCLUDE ~transitions/components/survivors_flee.tpa~

That's all there's to it.

Oh, and to use it in a dialogue:

Spoiler

BEGIN GALDOR
IF ~Global("#L_AngeloHasFled","GLOBAL",0) !Dead("GALDOR") Dead("Sarevok")~ THEN BEGIN Angelo_flee
    SAY @2011 // ~<PROPER_HESHE> is too strong for us!  Run for your lives!~
    IF ~~ DO ~SetGlobal("#L_AngeloHasFled","GLOBAL",1) ActionOverride("GALDOR",CreateVisualEffectObject("SPDIMNDR",Myself)) ActionOverride("GALDOR",DestroySelf())~ EXIT
END

et voila!

Edited by Lauriel
Added dialogue section
10 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

HE SHE, yes, needs to be translated, for example to French IL ELLE.  That sort of thing.  If it's in the .tra, it needs to be translated if they want it to come out in their language.  I know you know this, so I know I'm not understanding the question.

That's because I didn't ask what I wanted to know: what are the all-capitalized tra entries for that they need translation?

11 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

That's all there's to it.

Cool!

11 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

Which gave me no small amount of hair-pulling, thank you very much.

Ah, I see! (I'm restraining myself from joking whether I should bring the whip next time, too, as it might give the wrong impression.)

1 minute ago, jastey said:

That's because I didn't ask what I wanted to know: what are the all-capitalized tra entries for that they need translation?

Oh, that's for the UPPER_CASE pronouns.  I'm not doing anything fancy like TO_UPPER strings - I suppose I could, but I almost have no hair left and quit being mean to me!  LOL  I guess the whip might be necessary.  LOL

1 minute ago, jastey said:

Oh, and I guess this only works for EE engine, because of old engine being too old and stuff, or might it even work for the old engine, too?

I don't think the older ones have the tokentxt.2da file, if I remember correctly.  That is a requirement.

34 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

that's for the UPPER_CASE pronouns. 

I feel daft, but what I am referring to is e.g. the @900001:

@900000 = ~He She~

@900001 = ~HE SHE~

I understand @900000 which would be for the first word in a sentence and thus has a first capitalized letter, but what is @900001 for?

3 minutes ago, jastey said:

I understand @900000 which would be for the first word in a sentence and thus has a first capitalized letter, but what is @900001 for?

It's there because I was afraid to try to capitalize it LOL  To be honest.  Nothing is simple with Weidu - and I'm afraid it'll be the same with putting @900000 to upper case for UPPER_HESHE token.   I'm trying now though.  Slave driver. :)

Edited by Lauriel

What I meant was: when would I use a token that gives me HE in all-capitatilized letters inside the game text? The only instance I can think of is for shouting or something like that, is this what it's for or what am I not getting? 😅

22 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

Slave driver.

*cracks whip* Who me? This is all a misunderstanding, I swear.

2 minutes ago, jastey said:

*cracks whip* Who me? This is all a misunderstanding, I swear.

🤣  Naw, you just come up with ideas that are too good to ignore.  But this one was shockingly simple to program.  Now if I can just get it up into Github, I'll have had a successful day. LOL