Bug Reports and Typos for v1.0.1

They really just overwrite/replace the whole script just to add an item?

That is just coding bad practice. Not much I can do because that's just brute-force coding. Try to install that mod before mine, if that's possible? My mod is fairly light anyway, it patches what it needs to patch in existing files, modded or not, and ignores the rest (good coding practice). For mage18z though I write in a new override script because I didn't want to edit the vanilla GPSHOUT.bcs (which can be found on MANY NPCs), and it's a complete new AI script so I believe it's justified that I included a new script for mage18z. It's even taking into account changes made after by SCS which makes it quite more complicated, but I managed to find a good compromise with that. Besides, very few mods actually change the mage18z cre file, and if they do, hopefully it's just small patch changes (like klatu's tweaks which is 100% compatible with my mod because of good coding practice on both ends) and not overwriting in with new material. I'll be on the lookout for mods modifying that file, particularly the override script, because it is, I think, my mod's multi-compatibility weak point.

I haven't checked their code, but if they're overwriting the whole mage18z.cre file and not just the override script, then it's a whole other order of magnitude worse. If yes then that mod should be installed as early in the load order as possible because it's a disaster waiting to happen if they do this with every file they modify.

Thanks for reporting that by the way, I'll include it in the readme under "compatibility" next update.

Edited by Daxtreme

Thanks for reaching out to the author like  this.

Why does an unofficial item mod completely changes the behavioral scripts of an unrelated character? That would be best reserved for an optional component.

At this point I would say that this mod is incompatible with mine due to writing in new scripts for a character that is vital to my mod (but is not to theirs). A possible solution I see would be to install my mod after theirs, it might work (at least the override scripts will) but this is untested as of now and could create problems. The opposite is absolutely impossible and will certainly break my mod.

This is what the mod author said:

I have a pretty good reason. I completely changed the scripts and behavior of this character. I was trying to create the ultimate magician. Someone that even Irenicus would not defeat. It's hard to say how successful I was, but a lot of people agree that Zallanora is now really hard to kill (and if you come up with a trick to easily kill her, let me know and I'll make her even stronger  ).

Interesting. It is already the essence of what I'm doing in my mod, so it's safe to say that we are trying to do the same thing. But with a whole new quest attached on my part that extends into Throne of Bhaal 😅 Unfortunately, you have to choose one here. I tried for my mod to be as light as possible but this I can't fix I think, I'll have to investigate their mod in detail to see the extent of it though. For now try installing my mod after. Perhaps if the mod author could include this as an optional component like we do here in many mods? Hell, I have some in my mod. That would work very well for everyone involved and is best for compatibility. Sadly, I can't make Zallanora's scripts optional on my end because she is a central character.

Edited by Daxtreme

Not sure if this will lead to an issue in game but SCS is throwing a warning during installation about not knowing how to patch HLLAYENE.CRE. This is on EET, SCS v34.3 and Cowled Menace v1.0.1. Unless some other mod from the (admittedly long) list below is changing Layene.

Spoiler

BG EET Mods
Install order
BGEE:
1. DLC Merger
2. BG1 UB
3. Drizzt Saga (Option 1, Delayed Start, do not install; Raise XP cap)
BGIIEE:
1. EET
2. Dragonspear UI++
3. Portrait Gender Separator
4. HQ Sounds
5. Ascension
6. UB
7. BGQE
8. SotSC
9. DSotSC (do not install; extra encounters)
10. NTotSC (do not install; Will O’Hara)
11. G3 Anniversary
12. SOS
13. The Cowled Menace
14. Alternatives
15. Wheels of Prophecy
16. PnP Celestials
17. Kivan and Wife
18. BG1NPC
19. BG1NPC Music
20. Neera Banters
21. Neera Extended
22. Friendships
23. Banter Pack
24. IEP Extended Banters
25. Thalantyr Item Upgrade
26. Item Upgrade
27. Forgotten Armaments (do not install; NWN2 Style Weapons)
28. SoD Tweaks
29. Item Revisions (do not install; Dual Wielding, Backstab, Armour Changes, Racial Restrictions)
30. Spell Revisions
31. Lore From Learning
32. Tweaks Anthology (max HP, do not install; Spells from Scrolls, HL Save Penalties)
33. EET Tweaks (remove XP caps, 50% xp)
34. House Rules (Con Bonus, do not install; Backstab, Racial Bonuses, Proficiencies, Weapon Styles, Warrior HLAs, Troll)
35. 3.5 Thac0
36. Pathfinder HD
37. 3.5 Weapon Styles
38. Worldmap
39. EET_end
40. SCS
41. aTweaks (do not install; Fiend components, XP locks traps spells)

I do minor scripts patching so not sure why it would throw an error. Plus, I take into account SCS when patching (maybe the code changed)

Also, I tested the mod with SCS and there was no error.

Most likely that another mod is causing problem here, but I will investigate

Edited by Daxtreme
On 12/29/2022 at 2:46 AM, Daxtreme said:

I do minor scripts patching so not sure why it would throw an error. Plus, I take into account SCS when patching (maybe the code changed)

Also, I tested the mod with SCS and there was no error.

Most likely that another mod is causing problem here, but I will investigate

Note that it's not an error, just a warning. It popped up during the installation of SCS' mage component, but didn't cause the installation to fail, so is easy to miss (and the component was still listed as successfully installed). Unfortunately, I no longer have the WeiDU.log of the installation where I'm sure I saw the warning, it was just one of many installations I've been playing with over the last week. I've done a quick installation of just EET, The Cowled Menace and SCS' mage component, and attached the WeiDU.log, and I'm not even sure the installation this time threw the warning as the terminal output is so fast. I used the (as far as I can tell) best practice install order; EET_setup, Cowled Menace, EET_end, SCS. I'm on macOS Monterrey with an M1 chip, using MWL v7, if that matters.

WeiDU.log

Edited by Notso

I can't find any warnings related to HLLAYEN.CRE in my own megamod install which includes Cowled Menace.

Throwing up a random mod list without knowing what the hell is going on is useless. WeiDU has logging options, use them (either use --autolog, or the --log "LOGFILE" command line option). See the bottom of https://weidu.org/~thebigg/README-WeiDU.html#sec6

For the record, Project Infinity does rely on --log to generate separate logs to an external folder.

I have done another reinstall with my full mod list (though it's slightly pared down compared to what I posted earlier), and have noticed that it's not just HLLAYEN.CRE that is getting the warning, but also DW#LICH1.CRE and others, so I doubt it's Cowled Menace to blame. I will move my request to help find the cause to the SCS subforum.

Edited by Notso

Very nice mod, thank you! I just found the very ending was a little anticlimactic, having the player be mostly a spectator.

I encountered one bug : at the end, I went to the pocket plane by talking with Zallanera, and then was stuck there : when I tried to leave, I just came back in it, as if the pocket plane itself was the location from which I accessed it (I am in the part of ToB in which I don't have options to chose when I leave the pocket plane). I had to use the console to reach Toril again.

3 hours ago, Nehreis said:

Very nice mod, thank you! I just found the very ending was a little anticlimactic, having the player be mostly a spectator.

I encountered one bug : at the end, I went to the pocket plane by talking with Zallanera, and then was stuck there : when I tried to leave, I just came back in it, as if the pocket plane itself was the location from which I accessed it (I am in the part of ToB in which I don't have options to chose when I leave the pocket plane). I had to use the console to reach Toril again.

Hey, thanks for trying out the mod! Hmm that's right, I forgot that there is a moment in ToB when you can't actually leave the pocket plane.

I'll see what I can do to fix that. Thanks for the report :)

edit: by the way, how did you like the ambush in ToB? Did you think it was challenging enough?

Edited by Daxtreme
On 9/8/2023 at 2:27 PM, Nehreis said:

Ahh! This just happened to me as well!