Crossmod thoughts

I started a playthrough with both Haiss and Grey installed.  They actually work pretty well together and aren't just the same type of character.  Haiss is presented as having a much closer bond with CHARNAME than Grey does by default, and this actually works with how quiet Haiss ends up being in character interactions whereas Grey is noticed and talked about by a lot more NPCs.

A couple of ideas came to me from the hour or so I've spent with both in the same party.

1. There's some interesting potential for "banter" content since they both are likely familiar with each other both having been raised in Candlekeep.  One is a wolf that has been hand raised, the other is a warhound.  They'll have similar, but different enough reactions to many things.
  2. If Haiss is in the party, it would be interesting if Grey was tied a bit more closely to being a companion for Imoen.  All the hooks are there to make this connection a bit stronger and it would help differentiate Haiss and Grey if they were both in the party.  Maybe even go as far making Grey go with Imoen by default if she is dropped from the party (only if Haiss is also in/following the party).
8 hours ago, Caedwyr said:

Maybe even go as far making Grey go with Imoen by default if she is dropped from the party (only if Haiss is also in/following the party).

No to this - Grey is an own NPC with inventory and might carry stuff and be the group's tank etc. I understand that he quickly can be seen as "another dog companion following CHARNAME around" (and it's totally ok to play him that way, especially since I offer it with the 7th party member concept) but from original design he is a full-fledged party NPC so I will not make him leave unless the player dismisses him. It's good to hear that having them both is not too awkward, though.

Thanks for the suggestions. It made me realize something else, too: NPCs reacting to Grey could - or should - react to Haiass' presence if they do, as well. At least it would make sense, after joining CHARNAME and seeing them walk around with a wolf and a wardog.

Not sure where to put this, but thought it was funny.  I have Grey in the 2nd slot in my group and am using the formation that puts my PC in the back and him at point.  While entering Beregost, Golin Vend greets us and it's Grey that replies.  I'd post a pic of the exchange, but I'm out of upload space.

I would like to offer you some ideas for your mod, I hope they interest you:

1. Tactical Dog Backpacks for Grey (Dog Backpack). With the idea of a downgrade, reducing the number of inventory cells from 16 to 4 for the same allowable weight load. This will make the mod more realistic.

737fbb8c06d9972b66629bd394bb53a7.jpg

2. A young, inexperienced demon got into the dog's body by mistake, and when the protagonist tries to exorcise him, he eagerly exorcises him :D With all his might, helping the protagonist with the exorcism rite, telling him the right actions, and panicking at the inaccuracies in the rite. Now this is the upcoming quest for the Athkatla Search Guild & More mod (SoA) (with another dog, of course). But, as it seems to me, this quest would suit Grey much better.

https://arcanecoast.ru/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2188658#p2188658

Edited by scheele

@scheele firstoff, thanks for your suggestions and also for considering Grey for a quest that was originally for your mod. Unfortunately, both suggestion kind of contradict the original and very first idea behind the Grey mod Rabain and I had back in the days: to have a loyal, mute, reliable companion who can carry stuff but otherwise doesn't disturb the feel of solo-ing. So I am reluctant to include them. But, feel free to make an add-on that reduces Grey's inventory space - I do not mind if players would like to play with such a tweak. For the - very interesting, by the way - demon quest idea I fear it would make Grey (temporarily) unreliable as a group member and/or fighting comrade, so I'd prefer not to include it for Grey. I'm looking foreward to seeing this quest in your mod though, it sounds really cool and a quest I would enjoy.

21 hours ago, scheele said:

1. Tactical Dog Backpacks for Grey (Dog Backpack). With the idea of a downgrade, reducing the number of inventory cells from 16 to 4 for the same allowable weight load. This will make the mod more realistic.

Unfortunately, the number of inventory slots cannot be changed. Visually possible. But not at the engine level. And if you change it visually, then in any case it will be possible to put 16 items in his inventory, but from now on these items will be unavailable.

21 hours ago, scheele said:

Unfortunately, the number of inventory slots cannot be changed. Visually possible. But not at the engine level. And if you change it visually, then in any case it will be possible to put 16 items in his inventory, but from now on these items will be unavailable.

@tipun just for info: guest posting requires moderation approval because we are getting bombed with spam posts currently, that is why your post above didn't show at first.

When reading the suggestion about reducing the inventory slots, I was thinking it could be realized technically by "filling" the inventoyr with unremovable, blocking "items".