Is it possible to 100% eliminate the experience cap?

Getting to level 50 in a single class requires 15,000,000 xp, even in a heavily modded game you are unlikely to get there and there is little point to it as your stats no longer improve and there are no new powers to gain.  But you could expand xplevel.2da further if you really wanted to.  You'll likely run into some quirks though.

The theoretical maximum level in a single class is 255 (8-bit value) and the theoretical maximum for experience points is well over 4 billion (32-bit value).  The practical maxima are probably lower.

9 minutes ago, Angel said:

Getting to level 50 in a single class requires 15,000,000 xp, even in a heavily modded game you are unlikely to get there ...

This is because the Tweaks mod.

Cause say you want to make a mage and use this(in xplevel:2da):

2DA V1.0
                1           2           3           4           5           6           7           8           9           10          11          12          13          14          15          16          17          18          19          20        21         22         23	        24	        25         26         27         28         29         30         31         32         33         34	        35         36        37         38         39         40
MAGE            0           1           2           3           4           5           6           7           8           9           10          11          12          13          14          15          16          17          18          19          20        21         22         23	        24	        25         26         27         28         29         30         31         32         33         34	        35         36        37         38         39         

It's really easy to get level 50, it's just 49 xp... the table is a bit of lacking, I know, but it's just the idea.

14 minutes ago, Angel said:

But you could expand xplevel.2da further if you really wanted to.  You'll likely run into some quirks though.

I would remember that the max is actually 50 ... due to the quirks.

The XPcap(.2da) is a different thing, yes, the max xp in this game is technically -1, and as the xp is a binary with a split/signed 32-bit value, meaning it's measured from zero to  2 billion ... and it then at a point splits so it becomes -2 billion up to the -1(0xffff ffff ffff ffff). This allows reduction of XP via the addition function.

44 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Yep.

Regardless of your actual level, the game will cap it to a maximum of 50 in-game, just like ability scores are capped at 25.

Once you have enough experience for level 51, you can push that level-up button over and over, because it will still think your level 50 afterwards.

You still gain at least some of the level up benefits (HP, proficiency), but not sure about all of them.

CLAB files are governed by your effective level, so entries 51+ won't be used.

Caster level is also based on your effective level, so it won't exceed 50 without op191 (or wild magic bonus).

The experience cap cannot be eliminated because if you have enough experience for every level (0 - 255), the game locks up, as it doesn't know what to do.

11 hours ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

The XPcap(.2da) is a different thing, yes, the max xp in this game is technically -1, and as the xp is a binary with a split/signed 32-bit value, meaning it's measured from zero to  2 billion ... and it then at a point splits so it becomes -2 billion up to the -1(0xffff ffff ffff ffff). This allows reduction of XP via the addition function.

Thanks for the insights.  I knew there would be quirks at some point, but I didn't know exactly when.  As it turns out, much sooner than I thought.  😄  Although I guess I should have seen the signed nature of xp coming. ^^

It's surprising how often this question pops up actually.  What's so great about going super high level, when there is absolutely nothing to gain there?  Elminster is level 29-31 depending which source you pick, the avatars of most gods are between 25-35, and the absolutely most insanely powerful mage in the history of the Forgotten Realms was level 41.  If you want to go really high level, go play Final Fantasy or Diablo. 🙂

23 hours ago, Angel said:

Getting to level 50 in a single class requires 15,000,000 xp, even in a heavily modded game you are unlikely to get there and there is little point to it as your stats no longer improve and there are no new powers to gain.  But you could expand xplevel.2da further if you really wanted to.  You'll likely run into some quirks though.

The theoretical maximum level in a single class is 255 (8-bit value) and the theoretical maximum for experience points is well over 4 billion (32-bit value).  The practical maxima are probably lower.

I am planning on getting a level 20 kensai (I'm cheesing this time around so I checked max hp rolls on level up and the hp level up until level 20) at least and the rest of the 30 levels would go to just being able to get me the use any item special ability. is there a way around this?

- PS thanks for answering my question guys

49 minutes ago, 20886432 said:

I am planning ...

Showing that you misunderstood. As you can make a 49th level Kensai and then dual that to a thief and eventually or with a cheat, you can get a 50th level thief and all of it works as intended.

The 50th level is in single class, not a dual... But try that with a level 50 kensai and it won't. And yes, you can technically have 50/50/50 Fighter/Thief/Mage or Fighter/Cleric/Mage too. Without kits, except with a multi kit maker mod or something like that, I forgot. It's in SHSforums.

EDIT: here.

Thac0 maxes at level 20.., hitpoints for a fighter at level 9, d10 per level + CON bonus, after which you get 3 points per level without anything further from CON.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola