Actors And Bard Song

JPS

Here's a thought that struck me a couple of days ago.

The bard class covers a fairly wide area, as concepts go. A bard can be a poet, an entertainer who sings in taverns for a living, a keeper of lore and traditions in a tribal society (hi, Delainy :D ), a storyteller, a juggler or even *shudder* a mime.

Now, Haer'Dalis is clearly an actor more than anything else. Sure, he writes a poem or two for the ladies, and he can probably sing if it's required in a play, but the main thing he does, performance-wise, is act.

So when he uses his bard song ability, exactly what happens? Does he actually pick up a harp that is never mentioned anywhere else and that doesn't really fit the concept, or could "singing bard song" be interpreted loosely as reciting a rousing speech from "The Great Modron March"?

I've played with Haer in the party on and off for a couple of years, and more regularely since we started working on this mod, but I've never thought about this before, so I guess it isn't a big deal for anybody else either, but if you've thought about this yourself (or if you havenät but want to say something anyway), feel free to comment. It probably won't be cruical to the romance in any way, though...

("The Great Modron March", by the way, is an old Planescape campaign. I don't think it has any rousing speeches in it, but the sketches in the marigin work as a marching Modron flipbook if you browse through the book quickly. That's surely enough to keep up the morale of any party)

Well, you just hit on one of my most major gripes with the bard class. All too often, people think of some idiot in tights strumming a harp while friends and allies battle around him.

At least the 2nd Edition AD&D Player's Guide to Bards did some good showing some variety, though not enough in my opinion.

Anyways, as to your question...well, I guess I just envisioned him giving rousing speeches, if you will, exhorting his comrades to fight on, etc. as opposed to him playing.

Of course, as a Doomguard, this doesn't gibe with giving morale...making his opponents feeling worthless, yes...inspiration? No.

Um, to answer your question, yes, I see it more of him giving rousing speeches than him plucking an instrument or singing in a voice.

And yeah, even a mime would be considered a bard. *gets the boiling pitch* But I think I can make him scream...

"Bravely ran away-away"

"When danger rears its ugly head, he bravely turned his tail and fled" :D

I definately agree wih this interpretation. Plus, I can't see Haer'Dalis singing a song in the heat of battle. Shouting stirring (or depressing) rhetoric, definately.

I too see him more as a bard giving a speech rather than singing in combat. If this is to annoy enemies or inspiring allies is a different matter. I don't think that it's against the doomguard philosophy to go out with a bang, so giving bonuses to party members would not perhaps be totally out of question.

-Meira

The only problem is of course that not everyone would share Haer'Dalis' idea of an inspiring speech...

Haer'Dalis: "To the fight, my hounds of war! Let us bring a rain of destruction upon our enemies! If we are lucky, we shall all be dead before nightfall!"

Aerie: "Don't... don't say such terrible things, Haer'Dalis. Oh, I wish we didn't have to hurt people."

Jaheira: "I agree. It is natural to fight when you are threatened, but the greater balance demands that we try to spare our enemies' lives when we can."

Minsc: "Boo would like to point out that nightfall was three hours ago. I don't know what he means, but he seems to find it vey funny."

Jan: "You know, Haerry, my cousin Egbert was a bard, too. He had a terrible voice, but he played the bagpipe like nobody else. He joined with a group of adventurers from Cormyr who were going griffin hunting, and when they faced their first griffin, he played a rousing battle march. Now, I did say that he played like nobody else, so while he was sure he was playing a battle march, the archer thought it was an old goblin lullaby he had heard once as a child, and the wizard suggested it was a dwarven drinking song. While they were arguing, they were all eaten by the griffin."

The only problem is of course that not everyone would share Haer'Dalis' idea of an inspiring speech...

Well, maybe everyone would not agree on their normal state of mind, but when you're listening in the heat of the battle with mind hazed by adrenaline and the smell of blood and death; weird things might sound good. Or maybe there should be a saving throw allowed (or forced) to the party members in order to determine if they believe the bard or not - the bards charisma would naturally affect the outcome. :D Though I don't know if you wish to dabble with the workings of the bard song - might be more trouble than its worth.

-Meira

JPS, this is going to be one of those situations that it won't be logical for 100% of the people to get inspired by.

So, maybe tailor it if you wish to specific people (and do more work), or just make it applicable to all and acknowledge that it isn't entirely accurate.

I mean, Delainy is unable to use some items that are flagged as "silver" (she is a lycanthrope after all). However, as long as they are unidentified, she can still carry them. Once identified, she drops them.

Of course, if they were silver, she should be able to know that right away (without knowing their enchantments, etc.--just the fact they were silver). But the game engine has its own limitations...ugh, anyways, the point is sometimes you don't have much choice.

JPS, this is going to be one of those situations that it won't be logical for 100% of the people to get inspired by.

So, maybe tailor it if you wish to specific people (and do more work), or just make it applicable to all and acknowledge that it isn't entirely accurate.

I mean, Delainy is unable to use some items that are flagged as "silver" (she is a lycanthrope after all).  However, as long as they are unidentified, she can still carry them.  Once identified, she drops them.

Of course, if they were silver, she should be able to know that right away (without knowing their enchantments, etc.--just the fact they were silver).  But the game engine has its own limitations...ugh, anyways, the point is sometimes you don't have much choice.

Surely if you use a 'if they have this item' trigger in a script then it doesn't matter whether its identified or not?

There's some confusion here--some amulets are labeled as 'silver amulets' until they're identified, but if they're not actually silver then Del will carry them. Del drops items that are actually silver, whether they're identified or not.

@Grim

That's right, the HasItem() trigger is not dependent on identification.

Well, I don't know if I'm really going to do anything about this. I mean, you could argue that not everybody likes bawdy tavern song, so they shouldn't be inspired by Eldoth in BG1, or that people with an intelligence higher than 10 should become enraged by Garrick's stupid lyrics...

If it turns up, it will probably just be mentioned in a lovetalk or flirt.

Archived