New innate spell won't apply to PC

I've built a new innate spell and have screwed something up to the point where I can't give it to my PC...sort of.  It says MyNPC: Gained Special Ability: Mind Shield, but it's not in the innate ability selection bar.

This is my base spell that I copy over to override

#LPWR01.SPL

Then I give it a description: SAY 0x0050 @1050    // Mind shield description (modified version of Greenstone Amulet description)

Then I copy the Greenstone Amulet effects to the new spell.

COPY_EXISTING ~AMUL17.ITM~ ~override~
		LPF ITEM_EFFECT_TO_SPELL
			INT_VAR
				type = 99
				header = 99
				insert_point = 0
			STR_VAR
				new_itm_spl = ~#LPwr01.SPL~
		END
	BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

The resulting spell looks like it should work.

#LPwr01.SPL

What have I done wrong?

How many innate spells do you have ?

Yes, a simple question. Yes, this is why the game removed your innate spells you got from BG1 in BG2. To literarly, make room.

Or it could be the name of the spell... #... could spell figuratively doom for this. Aka, try another name. Start with IJ ... it's my prefix..

Edited by Jarno Mikkola
Just now, Jarno Mikkola said:

How many innate spells do you have ?

My NPC has 9, and can get more.  If I AddSpecialAbility("someotherinnatespell") it gets added fine.

5 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Or it could be the name of the spell... #... could spell figuratively doom for this. Aka, try another name.

Changing the name of the spell gives the same results.

5 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

Yes, a simple question.

Are sometimes the best. :)

Thank you @Bartimaeus and @Gwendolyne!

It now gets added to my NPC's action bar, but it doesn't work.  It's gotten closer at least. :)

When I try to cast it it just looks like it's fixin' to do it's thing (the casting icon is present on the portrait) but then it just doesn't.  The spell isn't used up from the action bar and none of the effects are applied.  Is perhaps one of the affects (one that isn't in the game I guess) messing it up?

5 minutes ago, Lauriel said:

Thank you @Bartimaeus and @Gwendolyne!

It now gets added to my NPC's action bar, but it doesn't work.  It's gotten closer at least. :)

When I try to cast it it just looks like it's fixin' to do it's thing (the casting icon is present on the portrait) but then it just doesn't.  The spell isn't used up from the action bar and none of the effects are applied.  Is perhaps one of the affects (one that isn't in the game I guess) messing it up?

Spell form is set to "3", as you can see to the left of what I highlighted in my screenshot. It's possible this is an EE thing I don't know about, because I've never seen a spell set to 3...or it's not set to what it's supposed to be. Try 1 for "normal" instead.

Edited by Bartimaeus
1 minute ago, kjeron said:

It's level (0x34) needs to be >0 if you intend to cast it normally.

Ah, drats, I had thought about that, but I figured if the ability header was correctly appearing in the innate bar, it was probably fine. The other two things I was thinking about were that I'm pretty sure 0x22 and 0x24 are always set to 1...but then again, I don't actually know what those bits do.

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Spell form is set to "3", as you can see to the left of what I highlighted in my screenshot. It's possible this is an EE thing I don't know about, because I've never seen a spell set to 3...or it's not set to what it's supposed to be. Try 1 for "normal" instead.

12 minutes ago, kjeron said:

It's level (0x34) needs to be >0 if you intend to cast it normally.

This did the trick!  Thank you all, very very much! 💕