Sword Coast Stratagems v34 (edit: 34.3) now available

Potential SCS related bug when using HLAs as innate abilities component.

It seems like when a dual class mage or cleric summons a planetar or deva, the game is not reading the character's level correctly to determine the summon's duration.

Level 20+ Nalia's planetar always lasts around 12 rounds, whereas Edwin's last ~22.

Viconia's deva also lasts the proper amount of time, whereas Anomen's is around 14. Both also level 20+.

I tested this with player made characters as well, and the result is the same, so it's not something NPC related.

Multi classes seem to function just fine.

Also tested in an unmodded game where the HLAs are regular spells, and the duration isn't broken there.

If anyone could confirm this bug, or better yet provide a solution (other than don't use HLAs as innates component), that'd be great.

Nearly unavoidable. In order for the spells to not require memorization in mage/priest slots, they become true innate spells - which means their level-dependent effects are based on innate caster level. For multiclass characters, including dual classes such as Anomen and Nalia, that's the average of the levels of their classes.

The one possible "fix" I can think of is to create a new innate spell (which is then granted by the HLA) that casts the original spell using opcode 146/148 in mode 1. The original spell is still a mage or priest spell, so it uses the mage or priest caster level.

6 hours ago, jmerry said:

Nearly unavoidable. In order for the spells to not require memorization in mage/priest slots, they become true innate spells - which means their level-dependent effects are based on innate caster level. For multiclass characters, including dual classes such as Anomen and Nalia, that's the average of the levels of their classes.

The one possible "fix" I can think of is to create a new innate spell (which is then granted by the HLA) that casts the original spell using opcode 146/148 in mode 1. The original spell is still a mage or priest spell, so it uses the mage or priest caster level.

Oh ok.

I went into eekeeper and just put Nalia's thief level to match her mage level.

It fixed the planetar duration, but for some reason when I loaded up the gate, it triggered a bunch of banters that I already went through long ago.

Any idea what simply manipulating this level value might be breaking?

edit: I guess this isn't really a great solution as it messes with saving throws and hp when you level up, and probably other things I'm unaware of.

Edited by boof

Sounds like EEKeeper weirdness, losing track of some local variables for no good reason. Nalia's script and dialogue don't use level checks for that stuff.

Also, you really shouldn't do that. There are secondary effects to raising that thief level, like increasing her backstab multiplier and possibly even making her dual class incomplete.

7 hours ago, jmerry said:

Also, you really shouldn't do that. There are secondary effects to raising that thief level, like increasing her backstab multiplier and possibly even making her dual class incomplete.

True, I wasn't really thinking when I did it.
But damn, a 12 round planetar is really bad, especially once you get into some of the more drawn out and difficult Ascension fights. Was really hoping there'd be a simple solution like switching its duration to a flat duration instead of level scaled.

16 hours ago, jmerry said:

The one possible "fix" I can think of is to create a new innate spell (which is then granted by the HLA) that casts the original spell using opcode 146/148 in mode 1.

This is actually a perfectly reasonable solution and probably worth doing. I would only caution DavidW if he decides to do this, that op148 has weird issues with spell range, so the innate ability should have a range 3 less than the underlying wizard or priest spell it casts. 

15 hours ago, Christian said:

Also I refrain from using that component since there are circumstances which make party members lose those HLAs.

Wait what?? Can you elaborate?

9 hours ago, jmerry said:

Sounds like EEKeeper weirdness, losing track of some local variables for no good reaso

EEKeeper gonna EEKeeper :crazyeyes:

24 minutes ago, subtledoctor said:

Wait what?? Can you elaborate?

Experienced it first hand years ago when it was introduced. Unfortunately I noticed it rather late and never got around to finding the trigger. Since then I read reports that people experienced the same and it was rumored to be related to the character dying and getting resurrected. 

2 hours ago, boof said:

Was really hoping there'd be a simple solution like switching its duration to a flat duration instead of level scaled.

A flat duration would basically work for the planetar spell - but it's not the only spell HLA with caster level dependence. The priest HLAs are full of that, and you can get those as early as cleric/druid level 14 on a multiclass.

Though ... the level-dependent duration on Summon Planetar/Summon Dark Planetar is kind of weird. 24 rounds at caster level 20+, 23 rounds at level 19, 22 rounds at level 18, 13 rounds at level 1-17. Huh? I really don't understand where that last one came from. You'll never see it without mods, but that low duration is there in the base game.

Hi, I'm getting an error installing the Smarter Priests and Improved Cloakwood Druids components on BGEE. Both errors seem related to file AMARAN.CRE. Can you help me?

BTW, not sure if this is relevant: I did not install Improved Shapeshifting and I disabled Improved Shapeshifting for enemies in the .ini file.

Spoiler

Determining spells and script for AMARAN

Including file(s) spellchoices_defensive/iwd/druid.tph
Copying and patching 1 file ...
This is Stratagems Scripting Language...

Input file is STRATAGEMS/priest/ssl/main/dw#priest.ssl

Output file is weidu_external\workspace\ssl_out/dw#priest.baf
Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

[tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 5650 column 1-55
Near Text: )
        Type mismatch in "RES" argument of [ForceSpellRES].
        Expecting type "string". Recovering.
ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: error compiling [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: compiling [weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]!
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [AMARAN.CRE] -> [override/AMARAN.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Failed to patch AMARAN.CRE; error message was Not_found

Appending to files ...

Determining spells and script for ARCHDR

Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SFO: Applying patch(es) to CRE file(s) amaran...

Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

[tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 6226 column 1-55
ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: error compiling [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: compiling [weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]!
ERROR: [amaran.CRE] -> [override/amaran.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Failed to patch amaran.CRE; error message was Not_found

Appending to files ...

...done

On 2/1/2023 at 6:19 AM, feedwony said:

Hi, I'm getting an error installing the Smarter Priests and Improved Cloakwood Druids components on BGEE. Both errors seem related to file AMARAN.CRE. Can you help me?

BTW, not sure if this is relevant: I did not install Improved Shapeshifting and I disabled Improved Shapeshifting for enemies in the .ini file.

Reveal hidden contents

Determining spells and script for AMARAN

Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

[tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 5650 column 1-55
ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: error compiling [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: compiling [weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr13.baf]!
ERROR: [AMARAN.CRE] -> [override/AMARAN.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Appending to files ...

Determining spells and script for ARCHDR

Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

SFO: Applying patch(es) to CRE file(s) amaran...

Copying 1 file ...
Compiling 1 script ...

[tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 6226 column 1-55
ERROR: parsing [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: error compiling [tb#_compile_eval_buffer/weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]: Not_found
ERROR: compiling [weidu_external/workspace\ssl_out\dw#pr60.baf]!
ERROR: [amaran.CRE] -> [override/amaran.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)

Appending to files ...

...done

@Lianos found solution for it. Search for it on this thread (page 20) or i will jsut copy paste it here. Also Improved Shapeshifting component has nothing to do with that error, so feel free to install it :)

In ...\stratagems\priest\spellchoices_defensive\demivrgvs\druid.tph Line 41 a bracket is missing.

PUSH_RANDOM spells (DEFENSIVE_HARMONY null
should be
PUSH_RANDOM spells (DEFENSIVE_HARMONY null)

This fixed it for me.

Edited by pochesun

I just realized that the improved shapeshifting component adds a lot more changes than was implied in the readme.
I installed it thinking it basically just changed shapeshifting to be instant via the tokens.
"Other than that, the effects of the shapeshift are largely the same as previously, though some of the ability score and attack bonuses have been tweaked slightly"
That's from the readme, but the changes to greater wolfwere and HLA transformation are rather massive (50% permanent physical resistance on earth elemental, wtf).
Can someone help me out and tell me which files I would need to edit, and what to edit within them exactly to remove these changes? Or if there's a way to install the component without these changes?
I don't disagree that the base game shapeshift powers are rather useless, but some of this stuff is kinda bonkers.

Edited by boof
On 2/5/2023 at 12:02 AM, pochesun said:

@Lianos found solution for it. Search for it on this thread (page 20) or i will jsut copy paste it here. Also Improved Shapeshifting component has nothing to do with that error, so feel free to install it :)

In ...\stratagems\priest\spellchoices_defensive\demivrgvs\druid.tph Line 41 a bracket is missing.

PUSH_RANDOM spells (DEFENSIVE_HARMONY null
should be
PUSH_RANDOM spells (DEFENSIVE_HARMONY null)

This fixed it for me.

that is not the same error - this didn't help me