Disliking for SoD

Guest Morgoth

What I wish was added to SOD was the return of Shar-Teel, i think her character had a lot of potential. I've only played through SOD once, didnt do alot of the quests. So when I do another playthru, [havent in almost a year] I will try my best to do every quest that I can. Starting from original BG thru the expansions and finish with TOB. I wish fade was available from the beginning game.

Having the greatness of the BG saga in mind, SoD was a massive disappointment to me. In my opion the game completely misses the spirit of the original games and parts of the writing are downright terrible. I never felt the gap between BG1 and BG2 needed to be filled - and definitely not with a story like in SoD. The degree of railroading and not being able to go back to many areas is a big turnoff for me as well. That said, I LOVE the Infinity Engine games and as a stand-alone game, it's playable despite its flaws......I mean, we're not getting many games to choose from so we can't be too picky. On the positive side SoD has a few good dungeons and some good large scale fights. Personally I'll never consider SoD a part of the BG saga, but I'll probably give it another go at some point as a stand-alone game.

It is totally different from the feeling of playing an original BioWare content, but I treat it as “paid mods’ like what Skyrim has, and I kinda enjoy it, there are several quality stuffs that could be difficult to achieve by real mod. 

the problem is I remember the battle in sod is not really enhanced by SCS mod and there is not many options of npc mods, which reduce its replay value for me (I consider most of the beamdog written npc in sod not really satisfactory).

that is also why I decided to skip sod in my current play through since I’m not taking any mod npc that has content in sod.

Edited by marcnivar
4 hours ago, marcnivar said:

there are several quality stuffs that could be difficult to achieve by real mod

This. Some of the "characters interact via textlines above their head while the PC is near" are really beautifully done - as one example, not necessarily the one I meant to stress the most. As much as I do not like too many cutscenes, it is a fact that they are done really good, too. ( @Ardanis ). And I really enjoy the graphics of the areas, the dungeons especially. There is really good content in there. I am not too font of some of the writing and how noone seems to react to Caelar's actual plan, but that's not a secret.

After going back and forth since release, I've come to the conclusion that the only thing I really dislike about SOD is how much everyone seems to hate CHARNAME. It begins by saying you're the hero of Baldur's Gate - but no one seems to treat you like a hero. Half of everyone think you're secretly a villain even if you're a Lawful Good paladin with perfect reputation and the rest seem to think that you are their slave and owe them everything. You're ordered around, mocked, hated, mistrusted, and all of this before the events at the end of the game. I admit it's a personal issue - I hate TV shows and films where a righteous character is unfairly vilified.

Otherwise, it's a fantastic game. Personally I think it would've been better as a standalone game divorced from the Bhaalspawn saga, but that's just me.