Portrait

Meira

Seriously, JPS, have you made any decisions if the scars on HDs cheeks and chin are 'natural' (they were there when he was born) or self made decorations (scar tattoos). The one(s) above his right eye brown looks like it's from a past injury.

Huh, I never thought about that before. I think I just always assumed they were "natural." But they do seem a bit scar-like. I would think that the forehead marks are more likely to be scars than the other marks though. Are they going to be discussed in the mod, even? Might make an interesting flirt.

And to make it easier to everyone: ;)

*SPOILERS*

@230  = ~Oh, how I wish there was more that magic could do for scarring.~

@231  = ~Thinking of your absconded wings, dear dove, or is your concern meant for another?~

@232  = ~I... I suppose I always think of my wings, but to be perfectly honest, just now I was thinking of you.~

@233  = ~Ah! You refer to your sparrow's delicate markings?~

@234  = ~Yes. Oh, forgive me for staring, Haer'Dalis, but I'm afraid it is all I can do.~

@235  = ~No need to trouble yourself, Aerie. I find them quite striking, and have been complimented on their design on many occasions.~

@236  = ~Why, if I did not have them I might commission them from a suitable artist, and were I to lose them, I fear I would no longer be the same man, the same performer, the same presence you see before you.~

@237  = ~You--you like them?~

@238  = ~Why, yes. They are uniquely mine. No less so than for the story of their genesis.~

@239  = ~Oh, Haer'Dalis, it must have been horrible.~

@240  = ~Aerie, I would love nothing more than to tell you a tale of being bound hand and foot by slavering cultists, crying out fruitlessly as a fiendish imp with hot poker in hand traced yon whiskers on my visage...~

@241  = ~Oh, my... no...~

@242  = ~Or to tell you that they were the gladly paid price for bedding a lady of such breeding and power that she could demand any sacrifice of a suitor, so powerful were her charms...~

@243  = ~That... that's horrible!~

@244  = ~Or that, dejected by cruelly disparaging reviews from ill-educated theater patrons, I took up a dagger, thrust it into the fire, and scarred myself in protest!~

@245  = ~Haer'Dalis, stop! Just, please, stop! Why are you saying such things?~

@246  = ~I say them because the awful truth is that I do not know. Was an evening I did not have them, then came a morn when my face throbbed and cried out for mercy. No pacing and retracing of my steps revealed their origin.~

@247  = ~It is a mystery, but I have come to appreciate that a mystery offers so many more delicious possibilities than a fact.~

@248  = ~Perhaps they are the insignia of some powerful demon lord, and at his command they will glow white-hot and I will do his bidding, devoid of will, a slave to his machinations. Perhaps I volunteered for this tattooing as a statement of individuality, but the trauma of my searing flesh has stolen all my memory of the event.~

@249  = ~I simply do not know. It is all a part of the random possibilities of the universe, and I find not knowing to be... breathtaking.~

@250  = ~I am sorry I asked. It's all too terrible to think about!~

@251  = ~If you do not ask, Aerie, you will never unearth life's delectable mysteries.~

Doesn't really say anything apart from indicating that they were not always there (or so he claims). Hmmm... ;) A-hoy! A talented portrait artist? How about Haer without scars - not that I would not like them, of course.

Well, I am trying to maintain some kind of conceptual compatibility with other mods that add to Haer'Dalis dialogue files (as in "I'm not going to write dialogue that contradicts them if I can help it"), but I'm not making that my top priority in any way. And I still think that most of the markings are natural... umm... as natural as strange marks in the face of someone who has a demon for an ancestor can be... ;)

But even if I do use that explanation somewhere, I think it will work just fine with the banter pack – neither of us are saying that "our" explanation is true, after all.

Guest Alaya

Just a question: Could you make it an option to change his picture (if you are in fact going to change it)? I don't know about anyone else, but I kind of like the original.

Guest Kania Blade

Grim Squeaker, I cannot say I've done mine yesterday. But 3 years ago, not more. And if you're a real artist, than I sit proud of myself - MY Dalis is not worse... :)

Archived