Sound effect for psionic domination does not bypass magic resistance (very controversial)

SPIN910, PSIONIC_DOMINATION, is used by mind flayers, and bypasses magic resistance. (Presumably because it's a psionic rather than a magical power). 

However, the sound effect played at the end of the domination period does not bypass magic resistance. So a heavily magic-resistant character might be dominated and yet get no sound effect.

In my view, there is very strong developer intent that this is a bug: there's lots of developer intent supporting the idea that the sound effects associated with spells are supposed to be blocked by the same things that block the main payload of the spell.

But I acknowledge that this is bound to be very controversial, especially with such a well-known and well-loved feature of the game. And certainly I can't rule out the possibility that it's an intentional nod to the complex and inconsistent ways in which psionic/magic interaction is handled in PnP, and/or a way to recognise in-game that AD&D shifted back and forth between treating mind flayers as psionic and as magical.

One for the optional-but-cool component, possibly?

2 hours ago, DavidW said:

However, the sound effect played at the end of the domination period does not bypass magic resistance. So a heavily magic-resistant character might be dominated and yet get no sound effect.

Yes, this does sound like a bug IMHO (in particular, a consistency issue).

I think that op174 effect should not be dispellable and bypass magic resistance, just like the main payload (precisely because it's a psionic rather than a magical power).

3 hours ago, DavidW said:

there's lots of developer intent supporting the idea that the sound effects associated with spells are supposed to be blocked by the same things that block the main payload of the spell.

Indeed.