Ideas for evil quest mods. Suggest them, now it's the time.

Guest Morgoth

Guest Morgoth

I'm planning for a project concerning evil quest mods.

Do you find evil lacking in baldur's gate 1 and 2? Do you think that a modder should probably execute an interesting idea that you envisioned but yet it still remains as mere imagination? Start writing your ideas, maybe something good evil will come out of it.

yeah, got one.

"Chopping off the branch you sit on."

Pick up Aerie and then take her to Umar Hills and let evil ranger Vally (you have the kit installed, right?) chop off her wings and feed them to Madulf and his ogres. If Aerie whines too much, feed her too. Evil af.

Edited by InKal

I have a big unfinished mod with some pretty evil stuff there. One of the spells turns a charmed creature or companion into an ice statue that throws spells at enemies. But you asked for quests. Well, that same mod has way too many spells to distribute across the stores, book shelves and pockets of existing NPC, I've already crammed them into every conceivable space. There were still some scrolls left over, and so I thought I might make a BG1 quest about an auction of magic. A library of rare spells is coming to Baldur's Gate, and the wizards of the city will be invited to bid on them. The Flaming Fist wants to make sure one 9th level spell doesn't fall into the wrong hands, or maybe to use it in the war with Amn, so they sponsor the party for a few thousand jeepies. And it can be a normal bidding, but if the party has removed Ramazith, Ragefast or Degrodel beforehand, they won't be there to drive up the prices.

Another idea was to have a spell that summons a quasit, who runs a shop with some special items, but will only deal with the party after they have collected some body parts. Colons from five officers of law, that sort of thing. Dropped on death.

A third spell would summon an imp (who hates the quasit), and the imp will give the party a sacrificial sickle. Killing an innocent with that knife will make a gemstone appear in the inventory: start sapphire for a man, emerald for a woman, diamond for a child. I wanted to make rubies, too, but an imp wouldn't want lawmen killed, so there is no need for a fourth stone.

Poaching would be easy, too. A rare moose is on the loose, and some hunters want his antlers bad.

A lot of things can be bad, if they are done right. In fact, everything done right is bad to someone. :)

Nothing particular in mind, but if I was a consumer using someone's "evil quests" mod, I would not be interested in dumb murder-hobo assignments like Dorn's stuff. "Evil" and "sadistic" are two distinct things. Rather, I think an evil character would want to find a way to enrich himself or get things of power, taking it from someone else by force or fraud. Stealing from temples and/or the Order of the Radiant Heart... interposing in business deals and making off with the goods (stealing some illithium maybe?), raiding otherwise peaceful tombs, etc.

Heck, now that I say it out loud, the whole game kind of seems like a big set of evil quests...

On 5/22/2022 at 10:36 AM, Guest Morgoth said:

I'm planning for a project concerning evil quest mods.

Do you find evil lacking in baldur's gate 1 and 2? Do you think that a modder should probably execute an interesting idea that you envisioned but yet it still remains as mere imagination? Start writing your ideas, maybe something good evil will come out of it.

My favorite evil quests in the game are the ones for Talos' stronghold. The way they deal with the already present content is excelllent: framing, betrayal, plotting, murder, using previous quests to gain a different outcome for a present one...

Guest Morgoth
On 5/23/2022 at 7:26 AM, temnix said:

I have a big unfinished mod with some pretty evil stuff there. One of the spells turns a charmed creature or companion into an ice statue that throws spells at enemies. But you asked for quests. Well, that same mod has way too many spells to distribute across the stores, book shelves and pockets of existing NPC, I've already crammed them into every conceivable space. There were still some scrolls left over, and so I thought I might make a BG1 quest about an auction of magic. A library of rare spells is coming to Baldur's Gate, and the wizards of the city will be invited to bid on them. The Flaming Fist wants to make sure one 9th level spell doesn't fall into the wrong hands, or maybe to use it in the war with Amn, so they sponsor the party for a few thousand jeepies. And it can be a normal bidding, but if the party has removed Ramazith, Ragefast or Degrodel beforehand, they won't be there to drive up the prices.

Another idea was to have a spell that summons a quasit, who runs a shop with some special items, but will only deal with the party after they have collected some body parts. Colons from five officers of law, that sort of thing. Dropped on death.

A third spell would summon an imp (who hates the quasit), and the imp will give the party a sacrificial sickle. Killing an innocent with that knife will make a gemstone appear in the inventory: start sapphire for a man, emerald for a woman, diamond for a child. I wanted to make rubies, too, but an imp wouldn't want lawmen killed, so there is no need for a fourth stone.

Poaching would be easy, too. A rare moose is on the loose, and some hunters want his antlers bad.

A lot of things can be bad, if they are done right. In fact, everything done right is bad to someone. :)

Eh, I think for evil content you are currently the king amongst quest writers. That's reality. Everyone is too keen into a good charname (I don't blame them).

On 5/23/2022 at 11:29 PM, subtledoctor said:

Nothing particular in mind, but if I was a consumer using someone's "evil quests" mod, I would not be interested in dumb murder-hobo assignments like Dorn's stuff. "Evil" and "sadistic" are two distinct things. Rather, I think an evil character would want to find a way to enrich himself or get things of power, taking it from someone else by force or fraud. Stealing from temples and/or the Order of the Radiant Heart... interposing in business deals and making off with the goods (stealing some illithium maybe?), raiding otherwise peaceful tombs, etc.

Heck, now that I say it out loud, the whole game kind of seems like a big set of evil quests...

I agree wholeheartedly

On 5/24/2022 at 8:30 AM, Daulmakan said:

My favorite evil quests in the game are the ones for Talos' stronghold. The way they deal with the already present content is excelllent: framing, betrayal, plotting, murder, using previous quests to gain a different outcome for a present one...

I agree. I never did them, but I still enjoyed reading about them on walkthroughs because the quest writers made a clever use of basically every option by connecting them to all the different temple quests.

Evilness isn't the point. That's just a label. But if someone makes a quest or a mechanic where a devil wants innocents sacrificed, that, in any case, reminds people that there are other worlds out there with such intentions - or different. By driving a few wedges into into the flow of task-reward-task games are kept from turning into streaming show soma.

Guest Morgoth
1 hour ago, temnix said:

Evilness isn't the point. That's just a label. But if someone makes a quest or a mechanic where a devil wants innocents sacrificed, that, in any case, reminds people that there are other worlds out there with such intentions - or different. By driving a few wedges into into the flow of task-reward-task games are kept from turning into streaming show soma.

In the past I wanted to ask you about writing an artifact mod for Evil Charnames. I'm pretty sure that someone out there would get in touch with Charname, either to sell new parts of Khazgaroth or to give him a few artifacts that would get in tune with his own essence. And maybe to unlock their potential he had to do something evil.;)

54 minutes ago, Guest Morgoth said:

In the past I wanted to ask you about writing an artifact mod for Evil Charnames. I'm pretty sure that someone out there would get in touch with Charname, either to sell new parts of Khazgaroth or to give him a few artifacts that would get in tune with his own essence. And maybe to unlock their potential he had to do something evil.;)

That makes some sense. Kazgaroth was a proxy of Bhaal, that is the most sensible way of thinking about him. And he was resurrected from death by the power of his heart in the third "Moonshaes" book. They drove it into a petrified druid, who was corrupted and transformed.