Install issue with some mods (Glam's, Thalantyr)

Guest Connelly

Guest Connelly

I think I found a problem with Glam pack. The core problem might be in it, or in EET_end, but just in case:

When installing EET_end, weidu flips out and abourt the installation, giving me this message.

ERROR: [PDIALOG.2da] -> [override/PDIALOG.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER failed on variable %pdialog_55_5%"))
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [CAMPAIGN.2DA] -> [.../CAMPAIGN.2DA] Patching Failed (COPY) (Failure("ERROR: READ_2DA_ENTRY_FORMER failed on variable %pdialog_55_5%"))
Stopping installation because of error.

Opening pdialog.2da, and following the "%pdialog_55_5%" bit to look up for the 55th entry line, I find this.

GV#DAVE                GV#DAVEP               GV#DAVEJ               GV#DAVED
GV#FLAR                GV#FLARP               GV#FLARJ               GV#FLARD
GV#LITT                GV#LITTP               GV#LITTJ               GV#LITTD
GV#MOID                GV#MOIDP               GV#MOIDJ               GV#MOIDD
GV#VYND                GV#VYNDP               GV#VYNDJ               GV#VYNDD
GV#ALAN
GV#ALAN
GV#BRIA
GV#JEFF
GV#KELL
GV#PAM
GV#PHIL
GV#THUN
GV#SIGU
GV#KRAK
GV#MARI
GV#WINK
GV#PIER
thalan

Those lines belong the Glam's NPC Pack. And the last one for thalan, I assume it's from Thalantyr's item upgrade mod.

As I understand, pdialog.2da lists all the dialog and script files some type of character has (joinable? although thalan is the odd duck there). You can see most the names of the first five entry lines correspond to the joinable NPCs. The rest below don't.

I don't really know how EET_end works, or why pdialog.2da lists the dialog files for non-joinable characters when every other entry are for joinable NPCs. But I noticed each characters have between 3 to 7 files designated depending if they apply to one or both games. A few ones, mod or vanilla, use *** for what I assume are files that doesn't exist. So I added them like so:

GV#ALAN                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#BRIA                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#JEFF                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#KELL                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#PAM                 ****                   ****                   ****
GV#PHIL                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#THUN                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#SIGU                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#KRAK                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#MARI                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#WINK                ****                   ****                   ****
GV#PIER                ****                   ****                   ****
thalan                 ****                   ****                   ****

Now EET_end installs without problems. I imagine it's possible I might start seeing problem ingame, of course, but at least the installation can finish. I don't know what other mods could cause anything like this.

I wasn't sure where to post this, but from what little I can tell, it could be that Glam's and Thalanty install completely "fine" but EET_end doesn't recognize lines left like this in pdialog.2da. On the other hand, maybe these mods aren't completely EET compatible, and while ideally the authors would update them, maybe it might be prudent to mention this in the compatibility list? Either to add a warning or take them out if they're truly incompatible.

Yes, I fear it's kind of a known thing (as in, it was reported before but wasn't fixed yet) because Glam's NPC pack inserts entries for non-joinable NPCs to the pdialog.2da. Instead of adding, you can also delete any entry for non-joinable NPCs (I think that would be all below Vynd), which would be the more accurate option to fix this.

Still, thanks for posting your findings and solution!

Guest Connelly

Oh, didn't know it was known already because I didn't find any mention of it anywhere. Shows what my Google-Fu is worth for I guess!

I might just do that and go back to uninstall EET_end and delete the entries if that's the better way, shouldn't take too long. Should I expect any particular problems if I don't?

Interesting to read the comments and the workaround, thanks for sharing.  Strange too because I've used Glams mod on my last install without issues.  I'm doing a new install now and came across the same problem. I thought at first it was some kind of compatibility problem between two other mods (Isra BG1 and Aura BG1 - Aura I am trying for first time).  When I have all three installed (Glam, Isra and Aura), EET End wont install giving me that very same error.  But I find with any combination of two of the three mods, EET End installs fine. I only really used glams pack for Vynd, so I might skip that install this time around