Ability icon change on Staff of Air

Item Revisions changes the Staff of Air (staf15.itm) ability's icon from spwi213b.bam to spwi204b.bam. This throws Item Upgrade v49+ off because it uses the abillity icon to find the projectile of the ability. The ionstall error was triggered by @geh4th and we debugged this problem, but I'm not quite certain why this change was even implemented to begin with. Could this ability icon change be reverted or should Item Upgrade be installed first for the combination?

The readme does say IR should come after almost all "content" mods except Spell Revisions, Sword Coast Stratagems, atweaks, G3tweaks and some components of IA and 1PP.

I have a feeling Item Revisions and Item Upgrade are conceptually incompatible anyway, the three elemental staves after revisions don't have abilities analogous to those which should be "inherited" and combined into one by the upgraded Staff of Elemental Mastery.

The IR staves:

Spoiler

Staff of Air +2

Legend states that a planeswalker brought this staff from his home plane, although other tales claim it was forged by an ancient druidic sect, or was the weapon of a powerful elementalist. In truth, several such staves exist. They are tied to different elemental planes, and each has had many stories from any number of owners. Perhaps that is their true power: they compel people to craft heroes of their own.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
 Cloudkill (1x per day)

Combat Abilities:
 Quickness: +1/2 attack per round
 Whirlwind Strike: 33% chance of dealing 1D6 + 2 crushing damage to opponents within 5'

THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 1D6 + 2
Damage Type: Crushing
Weight: 4
Speed Factor: 2
Proficiency Type: Quarterstaff
Type: Two-Handed
Requires: 5 Strength
Not Usable By:
 Monk

Staff of Earth +2

Legend states that a planeswalker brought this staff from his home plane, although other tales claim it was forged by an ancient druidic sect, or was the weapon of a powerful elementalist. In truth, several such staves exist. They are tied to different elemental planes, and each has had many stories from any number of owners. Perhaps that is their true power: they compel people to craft heroes of their own.

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
 Flesh to Stone (1x per day)

Combat Abilities:
 Stonehold: 33% chance target is held for 2 rounds (save vs. petrification neg.)
 Earthshaking: 15% chance target and opponents within 5' fall to the ground for 1 round (save vs. breath at -2 neg.)

Not Usable By:
 Monk

Staff of Fire +2

STATISTICS:

Special Abilities:
 Fireball (1x per day)

Combat Abilities:
 Incendiary: target suffers 1 fire damage every round for 5 rounds
 Burst of Flames: 15% chance of dealing 3D6 fire damage to target and opponents within 5'

Not Usable By:
 Monk

The Item Upgrade combo staff:

Spoiler

Staff of Elemental Mastery +5

Linked to three of the Elemental Planes, this powerful staff was forged at <CHARNAME>'s behest. It is a potent weapon in its own right, but it also possess the power of life and death over Elemental creatures. This particular staff is cold to the touch and is covered with burn marks and small gouges. Rumor has it that the secret for this sort of construction was originally discovered by the Rakshasa, who first used it to create the Flail of Ages.

STATISTICS

Combat Abilities: If an Earth, Air or Fire Elemental is hit it will be destroyed.
Summon an Earth, an Air and a Fire Elemental (once per day, 300 seconds, always friendly).
Cast Fireshield: Red (twice per day, 78 seconds).
Sleep Cloud (twice per day, range 40, save vs. poison or sleep for 18 seconds).

THAC0: +5 bonus
Damage: 1D6 +5
Damage type: crushing
Weight: 3
Speed Factor: 0
Type: 2-handed
Unusable By: Mon

Note, different spell like abilities, no on-hit effects except versus elementals.

I mean the design philosophies of Item Revisions and Item Upgrade are pretty opposed too, IR doesn't contain single handed weapons of higher than +4 enchantment even in ToB, with IU you can forge a +5 club in chapter 2 of SoA.

Le malapropism.

Also @Bartimaeus the ancient mod I once published, polytweak, is deprecated and substantially incompatible with recent versions of EE (really, all except the new icons for the flametongue sword/blackrazor, which I don't think were well received anyway), so should probably be removed from the install order recommendation in the IR revised thread.

On 8/1/2023 at 12:22 AM, polytope said:

Le malapropism.

Also @Bartimaeus the ancient mod I once published, polytweak, is deprecated and substantially incompatible with recent versions of EE (really, all except the new icons for the flametongue sword/blackrazor, which I don't think were well received anyway), so should probably be removed from the install order recommendation in the IR revised thread.

I don't play on the EEs, but noted, will remove (though that abbreviated install list is really just more meant to be examples of different kinds of mods and where they should be placed and not any kind of definitive list or anything). I personally still use the following components and don't feel as though I've run into substantial issues with oBG2:

~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #85 // Corrected Vampire Stats: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #100 // Anomen: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #150 // Cernd: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #202 // Jaheira -> dual wielding: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #300 // Keldorn: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #401 // Minsc -> Keep Minsc as ranger: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #500 // Nalia: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #600 // Valygar: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #700 // Viconia: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #60 // Improved (less buggy) trolls: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #70 // Improved Umberhulks: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #80 // Improved Yuan-Ti: v2.00 BWP Fix
~POLYTWEAK/POLYTWEAK.TP2~ #0 #83 // Improved Minotaurs: v2.00 BWP Fix

Regarding the topic at hand, I really don't think IR or IU should ever be used together in the first place due to some pretty grave conceptual incompatibilities. Not really terribly different from using IR and Improved Anvil together - they just don't mix and you're going to get some pretty wacky results if you nevertheless try to do so.

Edited by Bartimaeus

Glad to hear it, Polytweak always worked fine on oBG2, but a lot of the scripts would need to be completely rewritten for EE which is the assumed default these days, I don't really want people seeking out an unsupported mod.

There was a minor unfixed "bug" with the umberhulks last I checked, they can confuse Phaere or Solaufein in the underdark, which results in automatic quest failure if they then attack each other (doesn't occur in vanilla).

Of course a victim of confusion will only ever attack the closest creature so a Stoneskinned or low AC, high hp party member can soak attacks for a few rounds until they regain their senses, but it's probably best not to have summons in this encounter.