New testing version of IWD2 NPC Available

CamDawg

A new version of The IWD2 NPC Project, updated to work on IWD2EE, is now available for testing. While now compatible with IWD2EE, these NPCs do not become the 'full' NPCs that IWD2EE since the author is gone (more here) but should otherwise be fully compatible with the new platform. I took the opportunity to track down and fix some old bugs (including some fixes sent along by @paladin84., cheers) and just generally modernize the mod.

Since this is a test build, and not an official release, you'll have to grab it off Github directly from the link below instead of the normal download link.

Chngelog

• Should be fully compatible with IWD2EE
  • Hildury only had her correct bio if she started at level 1
  • Valeero's Decorated Helmet had an undocumented +1 armor bonus that has been removed
  • Valeero's Decorated Helmet only came with one charge of Sunscorch, despite having a max of 25 charges. It will now start with 25 charges; feedback as to whether this imbalances the early part of the game is appreciated
  • Items which cast spells now invoke the underlying spells instead of copying their effects; this allows the items to reflect changes made to the spells by other mods (e.g. IWD2EE)
  • Salomeya's Garrote wasn't working well and has been revised. Using Salomeya's Garrote will now create a garrote (once per day) in the magical weapon slot (like Black Blade of Disaster). You then attack your target like a normal melee weapon and the garrote will disappear after a single hit or ten rounds, whichever happens first.
  • The language-specific parts of the character and biography files are now derived from the translation files instead of maintaining (literal) scores of redundant files
  • Worked on making the alternative avatars for Peony more reliable; previously they were inconsistent about updating the avatar on the inventory screen
  • Minor typos in some banter scripting could have been preventing a few banters
  • IWD2 NPC was assuming a few dialogues and scripts didn't exist and was creating them without checking; this could potentially overwrite changes from other mods
  • For compatibility, more items are copied from current items and altered instead of being created from static files
  • Added a new component to select the alternative NWN-style portraits for the NPCs
  • Bug fix from paladin84 where one branch of a dialogue was not creating the item it was supposed to
  • Updated Russian translation, courtesy of paladin84
  • NPC soundsets will now play during character creation. thanks paladin84
  • Typo fixes
  • Overall modernization of the package: added hooks for Project Infinity, updated readme and appendix (lots of old, broken links), many internal optimizations, removed unused files
On 11/13/2023 at 3:26 PM, CamDawg said:

A new version of The IWD2 NPC Project,...

Any chance to get a IWD2-in-EET compatibility at some point ?
Now, yes, there's every likelyhood that the IWD2EE is far more prevelant platform these would be used.
I would also like to see a separate component that allows deloying the NPCs to be placed to the IWD2(EE)'s start map so they can be talked to and thus invited to the party by the player. It would be a separate component which would very much indicate that it's not part of the original mods consept, and if you wish you can write that in the file no one will ever read. Cause it says "DO NOT" infront of it. 😈

48 minutes ago, Jarno Mikkola said:

I would also like to see a separate component that allows deloying the NPCs to be placed to the IWD2(EE)'s start map so they can be talked to and thus invited to the party by the player. It would be a separate component which would very much indicate that it's not part of the original mods consept, and if you wish you can write that in the file no one will ever read. Cause it says "DO NOT" infront of it. 😈

It was discussed here: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/36678-iwd2-npcs-now-compatible-with-iwd2ee-project/#comment-330058

and I guess the answer is: "You can create a mod that does it".

dunno much about 'creator being gone' I don't need to know the details tho since mod is abandoned it'd be EPIC if mod could also get 1 more warrior to pick (for some reason dark elf is very easy to kill in my game, dunno why), but even if not, we could get 1 female and 1 male NORMAL romance, cuz let's face it, it's either romancing evil one in this mod or romancing baby (Peony). don't get me wrong, I love Peony, but she is mentally sucking baby, if not making new chars, then maybe romance track for Prachi (she seems quite normal girl to get closer to) and Nikosh? yeah, she's halfling tho Peony is small too and Nikosh is much more interesting option than dark elf and his "I am slave here" drama or tis elf druid with his hate for humans. I'm simply goody goody shoes player here enjoying good party. and oh, if you'd ever done such update, pls enable it both for EE AND vanilla, I am not into buying access to games on platforms.