v35 comments / questions (report a bug in a new topic, not here)

13 minutes ago, DavidW said:

Defensible. Will consider. It's not immediately obvious how to implement, and I didn't bother working it out since in any case I thought there wasn't much logic to it. 

Also, do you get apprentices immediately, and are they guaranteed to survive? (I don't recall the mage stronghold quest well.)

You get them immediately, but yes they can die, depending of player's choice of items to craft and some luck.

But it is not really extraplanar anymore given that it crashed in Athkatla? And the Copper Coronet is right next door. 

I think the druid and ranger strongholds having supplies are probably a larger stretch.

Obviously a very minor thing to discuss, I was just wondering :)

Hi, David.

I am using project infinity. and I would like both "bardsongs from Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition " and "IWD Class Updates: Bard: Selectable Bard Songs for Jesters and Skalds" from iwdification for oBGT. 

for maximum compatibility and installation convenience, should I install the component from SCS' "IWD Class Updates: Bard: Add IWD Bard Songs" (the same component as iwdification's) instead  along with " selectable bard songs..."? 

or should i just get both from iwdification?

I am only worried about it might be a hassle to adjust things or update mods

Some functions, like singling out a component from a mod to another place in the install order does not seem to be working well with Project Infinity lately.

also do those components that add icewind dale arcane and divine spells from iwdification work for oBGT? why does SCS compatibility notes say that "Also, IWDification works on non-Enhanced Edition games. "?

for customization option of SCS

iwd_overrides_sr(1) - this determines which of IWD and Spell Revisions' spell lists is prioritized on installs where both are present. By default, IWD is prioritised; set this to 0 to reverse this.

What is the actual in-game effect of this option? would the SCS AI act strangely if it is set to 0 and uses SRR's spell-list?  I'd like to first understand how would SCS work with these two different spell lists.

50 minutes ago, Elder Enigma said:

Without me re-installing to test, does your mod remove Freedom scrolls in BGIIEE from Ribald in Waukeen's Promenade?

Yes, there are no freedom scrolls in Athkatla shops.

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, Xiaolong said:

Yes, there are no freedom scrolls in Athkatla shops.

I see, thank you.

That's not a good change in my opinion.

When the player decide to go to Spellhold in Brynnlaw the Cowled Wizard mage (for the Token) can cast Imprisonment, the Lich in the fourth level of Spellhold itself can also cast Imprisonment if those battles go for long enough.

Without Ribald having the Freedom scrolls the player does not have any meaning of having back Imprisoned characters without cheating. Would have been doable if is possible to go back in these areas but they become unreachable once done.

Unless I'm missing something.

Edited by Elder Enigma

So, uh, freedom scrolls.

- In the unmodified game, Ribald's "special" shop in chapter 6 sells an unlimited number of freedom scrolls. SCS doesn't touch this.

- Also in the unmodified game, several freedom scrolls are available from the duergar merchants in the underdark. SCS doesn't touch this.

- In the unmodified game, no freedom scrolls are available before chapter 5. Since SCS mages can get Imprisonment before that, there is an SCS component that adds a few freedom scrolls to the chapter 2/3 shops. Specifically, that's "freedom_scrolls.tpa" in the "spell" grouping, and it adds five freedom scrolls to Ribald's normal wares.

- v35 reorganized the "spell tweaks" group of components, so they are no longer available individually and can only be taken as part of predefined packages. And it looks like that little component isn't in any of those packages. The code's still there, such as it is, but it's not available. (See also this thread from a few months ago: https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37963-extra-copies-of-hard-to-find-scrolls-in-bg2/#comment-334967)

Just going to post a little general observation/suggestion here.

I've noticed that a lot of enemy spell cast attempts can be interrupted by simply running their target out of their vision, whether line of sighting or just running out of vision radius. Some spells on the other hand don't care. For example, enemy starts casting lightning bolt or horrid wilting. You can run to the other end of the continent if you can before the cast finishes, but it will finish and you will be targeted. But then you have spells like ice lance that the enemy will stop casting when you move a bit beyond their vision.

This ends up being a very effective and in my opinion abusive way to deal with a lot of what an enemy spell caster can throw at you. It also creates a very inconsistent combat experience because some spells are affected while others aren't.

My main problem with this is that it ends up happening even when you don't want it to, because often when an enemy starts casting, I'm trying to run my people as far away as I can to make space to give me time to react to whatever gets cast, but then I end up running the target a bit beyond their sight range and the spell fizzles and you're just left with this "oh.... ok" unsatisfied feeling.

What my suggestion would be, if possible, is to force all spells to finish regardless of the caster's ability to have line of sight/vision range, like horrid wilting and lightning bolt etc. I'm pretty sure the player's spells always finish if the enemy moves out of sight, so it seems only fair.

Is there a mechanism in SCS that can randomize merchant scroll selection between installs? I've seen Spell Shield and Ruby Ray at Lady Yuth's in Adventurer's Mart, which I have never seen before. It was with SCS 34 if that matters.

Guest mike123

Hello - I am really enjoying the NPC customization functionality!

I just found out that you can CLUAConsole Boo into existence, and then use CTRL+Q to add him to your party!

I am curious what his stats are, but my hunch is that the NPC customization mod has set him to minimum level and experience. He is immediately eligible for a level up, but the game crashes if I try to level him up. Anyways, if he is caught up in this modification, my two cents is maybe he should be kept out of the scope of the mod.