v35 comments / questions (report a bug in a new topic, not here)

Hey @DavidW this might be out of my reach asking this but your whole revamp of perma death is awesome but got me thinking of khalid and like RP wise , why wouldn't Jaheira just look real hard for a diamond to resurrect him.

I know you based the mod component off actual DnD Lore of needing 1000 Goldsworth of diamonds to cast true ressurection but then I also thought about in the BG2UB Mod, Jaheira lines are changed to say it zaps the lifeforce of the person who does the casting which is why she didn't raise khalid.

So I thought maybe you could add another optional component to give a perma -1con loss for caster of ressurection in addition to 1 diamond cost, just to put more weights into actually casting the spell rp/noreload run wise.

Just an idea

Edited by DraikenWeAre
Wrong name for mod given prior
On 2/20/2024 at 3:22 PM, DraikenWeAre said:

Hey @DavidW this might be out of my reach asking this but your whole revamp of perma death is awesome but got me thinking of khalid and like RP wise , why wouldn't Jaheira just look real hard for a diamond to resurrect him.

The reason is that he can't be resurrected. Jaheira says something has been done to him to prevent resurrection and he can't be brought back when you first find the body.

@ThacobellActually it wasn't that something was done to him to prevent so he couldn't be ressurected. 

It was basically "implied" he couldn't be ressurected for the same reason you can't ressurect someone who perma death in base game. The body was too mutilated and messed up.

In BG2UB which (is a default mod these days), its that it would require loss of lifeforce to bring him back, which isn't found in DnD normally but I personally like as a reason.

Personally I've always liked the permadeath unraisability of the base game , of Charecters being chunked whem Petrified or fireballed.

The struggle of life or winning a fight kinda losses a lot of weight when the guardrail to living is just capitalism. We end up counting our wallets instead of ourselves. Which is why I don't feel the 1000 gold worth of diamonds DnD rule is enough.

Having the party member who pays for the ressurection with -con just feels more impactful to me.

But that's just me insofar I have yet to really see others comment on my view.

Edited by DraikenWeAre

The only mod I'm aware of matching that name is the BG1 NPC project. And that sounds like something interpreted from added conversation around Gorion. (He can't be raised, for story reasons. Not that you could cast the spell anyway, but in theory you could take him to a temple that offered the spell.)

@jmerry @mickabouille

I was referring to BG2UB , my mind was blanking so I was saying NPC Project. (Edited correctly now)

In UBBG2 mod the line is changed to

:Yes, there are greater spells that raise even the aged dead, but they leech from the caster, and I will not ask that of someone! Khalid would not have it.

The original Unmodded line is 

He... Khalid... is dead, and has been so for some time! Beyond a point, there can be no raising, especially when the body has been... has been desecrated.

First line basically says it can be done but requires Lifeforce loss basically,  second line implies he's too damaged.

On 2/22/2024 at 9:53 AM, DraikenWeAre said:

@ThacobellActually it wasn't that something was done to him to prevent so he couldn't be ressurected. 

It was basically "implied" he couldn't be ressurected for the same reason you can't ressurect someone who perma death in base game. The body was too mutilated and messed up.

Except you quote the very line that says too much has been done to Khalid to prevent bringing him back.

On 2/22/2024 at 10:28 AM, DraikenWeAre said:

@jmerry @mickabouille

The original Unmodded line is 

He... Khalid... is dead, and has been so for some time! Beyond a point, there can be no raising, especially when the body has been... has been desecrated.

First line basically says it can be done but requires Lifeforce loss basically,  second line implies he's too damaged.

He cannot be brought back because his body has been desecrated. This matches in game mechanics and lore as well, when your party members take enough damage, you can't even ressurect them back.

On 2/22/2024 at 4:41 PM, Thacobell said:

Jaheira says something has been done to him to prevent resurrection and he can't be brought back when you first find the body.

@Thacobellthat was not your  original point,  your original point was somthing was specifically done to him to prevent him coming back not that he took too much damage.

My point is literally unchanged, why not just admit you were wrong in youe rememberance.

22 hours ago, DraikenWeAre said:

@Thacobellthat was not your  original point,  your original point was somthing was specifically done to him to prevent him coming back not that he took too much damage.

My point is literally unchanged, why not just admit you were wrong in youe rememberance.

That's what I just said, yes. Khalid's body was defiled so he couldn't be brought back. I'm not sure what you think you're arguing aginst here.