v35 comments / questions (report a bug in a new topic, not here)

Hello, I have a simple question. I have watched many videos of scs playthrough and I can see some differences in my installation (slider set to insane, scs set to default behaviour, every scs component is installed). For example Neira just has Armor of Faith and starts casting Hold Person. Basillus has like 2-3 buffs, Narcillicus Harwilliger Neen has almost nuffin - he is unprotected. I also remember I tried many times to kill icharyd in the past but right now he was very easy.

On the other hand Khark, for example, has everything: minor globe, stoneskins, mirror images etc. That's why i'm kinda confused right now. The only thing i did not install was the component that moves sequencers to innate abilities bar.

Did scs nerf some enemies? Or my installation is bugged?

Edited by nemeyeth

There's lots of variation, for several reasons.

First, spellcasters just come at different levels. Here are the levels of the enemies you mentioned (with all applicable SCS components, in the cases it matters):

Neira: Level 5 cleric.

Bassilus: Level 10 cleric (level 12 in older versions).

Narcillicus: Level 7 mage.

Kahrk: Level 12 mage.

Obviously, higher-level spellcasters have more buffs.

Second, spell choices include a random element, which will vary from installation to installation. For example, a level 12 evil cleric using the vanilla spell system has a 1/3 chance of Blade Barrier, a 1/3 chance of Physical Mirror, and a 1/3 chance of an offensive level 6 spell - which will be either Heal, Harm, or Aerial Servant with equal probabilities. Mage kits are also largely random and have an impact here; a necromancer won't get the low-level illusions that most mages buff with, for example.

Third, difficulty level heavily impacts how much of a spellcaster's buffs are precast. As difficulty rises, spells with shorter durations are added to the list.

On 4/10/2024 at 1:58 PM, jmerry said:

There's lots of variation, for several reasons.

First, spellcasters just come at different levels. Here are the levels of the enemies you mentioned (with all applicable SCS components, in the cases it matters):

Neira: Level 5 cleric.

Bassilus: Level 10 cleric (level 12 in older versions).

Narcillicus: Level 7 mage.

Kahrk: Level 12 mage.

Obviously, higher-level spellcasters have more buffs.

Second, spell choices include a random element, which will vary from installation to installation. For example, a level 12 evil cleric using the vanilla spell system has a 1/3 chance of Blade Barrier, a 1/3 chance of Physical Mirror, and a 1/3 chance of an offensive level 6 spell - which will be either Heal, Harm, or Aerial Servant with equal probabilities. Mage kits are also largely random and have an impact here; a necromancer won't get the low-level illusions that most mages buff with, for example.

Third, difficulty level heavily impacts how much of a spellcaster's buffs are precast. As difficulty rises, spells with shorter durations are added to the list.

Thank you for a nice response. I have some more questions :)

Well, I kinda edited the ini file before the installation and I set mages/clerics levels to 150%. So Basi is lvl 15 now, Narc is level like 10. That is fine i guess. The thing is: are the spell choices you mentioned are determined during the installation? So no point in realoding to expect different spells/effects/buffs?

And can I raise the levels of fighters and other melee classes or this option is just for mages and clerks? :)

Yes, spell choices are made during installation. The CRE file has its list of memorized spells, and that's what they'll use in gameplay.

I've never been tempted to mess with creature levels more than SCS does by default, so I don't know much about those options.

5 hours ago, jmerry said:

Yes, spell choices are made during installation. The CRE file has its list of memorized spells, and that's what they'll use in gameplay.

I've never been tempted to mess with creature levels more than SCS does by default, so I don't know much about those options.

Yeah, i checked the CRE files of those characters and even added some spells that they were missing - like minor globes. The thing is sadge that they wont use those spells instantly after entering the combat. I guess the whole precast/prefight thingy is coded elsewhere. Also read that there are like over 4k spell combinations so I guess I will just adjust levels a bit and then I can play.

Thanks for the nice tips and tricks jmerry ;)

Long time user here, current version seems great excepting the previously reported class name string bug with some UI mods. Probably my top annoyance at the moment, which as it is just cosmetic feels a great top annoyance to have:)

Some thoughts on the previously discussed no xp boost policy: I think that is an excellent policy to have in general, but the impact of some more xp is less in the exponential xp per level phase and especially so at low levels. I feel an exception for difficulty boosted chapter 1 to 3 battles might work and that there the benefit of having the player equally awarded early on for equally difficult paths might win out. Definitely stick to it for anything after Chapter 3 though. 

Finally, a very personal wish: any option of having a separate (adjustable) drop rate for healing potions vs any other kind of potion? With low drop rate I am always a bit too tight on healing potions, but still have sufficient other potions to use for challenging battles. It would help with not having to rest/reload after battles you won but took substantial damage, especially when you have resting restrictions. Understand it is a personal preference though.

With respect to xp boosting, I would argue in favor of the no xp boost policy. I cannot think of anything I have found more frustrating in my runs than trying to properly balance XP progression. If playing on SCS on higher difficulties, early leveling feels painfully slow, especially when trying to fight higher-level arcane casters at low levels, which is why many who play on higher difficulties use XP exploits like rushing the basilisks. I like to role play, and so I hate using meta knowledge to use XP exploits. 

Later, however, if you clear everything including ToTSC content then it is quite easy to hit the level cap in chapter 6. If you add quest mods, you'll get there even faster. I've tried using the XP limiter from EET tweaks to mitigate that problem, but that only magnifies the problem of painfully slow early game leveling, and I was also surprised at how much of an impact reducing xp gains can have on a playthrough. To give just one example, on one playthrough with lots of quest mods installed (SoTSC, BST, BGQE, BG1RE, BG1NPC, etc.), I reduced XP gains for creature kills by 50%. After a full clear of all available content, I was just over 130k at the beginning of chapter 7. By contrast, in another playthrough with no quest mods and no XP reductions, I was just under the level cap at the beginning of chapter 7, and I had completely skipped Ulcaster, Firewine, the Bear River, and the Spider Grove areas. The gains (or losses) from tinkering with XP for kills accumulate over the course of a playthrough, and it ends up making a big difference overall.  

Given all that, I don't think David should be trying to tinker with XP rewards. It is a very difficult balancing problem to get right. BioWare's blunt and clumsy solution was the level cap, and after trying to tinker with the issue myself, I can see why they ended up with that solution. If I cannot figure out a proper solution for my own playstyle, I do not see how David is supposed to come up with a solution that works for all playstyles. 

Edited by Delior
Typos
On 4/11/2024 at 3:32 PM, jmerry said:

Oh, one more thang - I added 5 levels to mages and clerics. It was very fun seeing Tarnesh summoning the earth elementals or Mutamin spammin skulls at me. Well, 5 levels is kinda too much but I'll try 2-3 in the future ;).

Hi there

Dont know if this one has already been reported, but a game with 35.10 version installed while playing on LoB ran into a weird bug in Trademeet:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1207676/#Comment_1207676

The narrative is a bit long, but the bug is described in the post

Sorry. Read the thread title, and will make a new topic…

Edited by StummvonBordwehr