"Bird" animation kills external dialogue links

jcompton

I'm not sure precisely how this should be filed in IESDP, but it's worth documenting somewhere:

In finishing up Turnabout I seem to have stumbled onto some odd behavior.

PPGUY02.CRE, the Ascension-specific CRE file which contains the "dialogue" for activating the essence pools, does not like having external dialogue links. Specifically, when an external dialogue link is followed, the game crashes hard. Replacing this CRE but retaining the same DV/script/DLG allows the dialogue to proceed with various external links.

The problem seems to be PPGUY02.CRE's use of the "Bird" animation. By replacing this with a standard player avatar, external dialogue links can be performed. I have only uneducated guesses as to why (because the camera cannot properly "pan away" from a bird animation?), but there you have it.

The bird-like animations already have some freaky behaviour - no foot circle, and, IIRC, they can pass through walls(?). This is the first I've heard of this though. I'll see if I can find some place to put it on the IESDP sometime.

The IE gives certain animations special treatment, such as birds flying 'overhead' and any CRE with a child animation being unkillable, for instance. Given that you can't target birds or affect them with area spells, I'm not surprised dialogs aren't completely supported for them. (Supported enough to allow the fate spirit, PPGUY01, to do it's job.)

The IE gives certain animations special treatment, such as birds flying 'overhead' and any CRE with a child animation being unkillable, for instance. Given that you can't target birds or affect them with area spells, I'm not surprised dialogs aren't completely supported for them. (Supported enough to allow the fate spirit, PPGUY01, to do it's job.)

Unkillable children is only in the european versions of the game, of course. I've fireballed a number of little tykes accidentally on a number of occasions. They char up real good.

Archived