suggestion: cowled wizards

Guest Dreamer Sasha (Moongaze)

why do cowled wizards only warn/arrest you when youre outside in Athkatla? why don't they just dimension door into a house when magic is used indoors? I wondered that while I was cleaning up the Copper Coronet, Seven Vales inn and other buildings...

Maybe they cannot scry indoors. Or maybe the Council of Six prohibits them from doing so.

works for me.

Don't they make a comment about 'using magic in public', indoors isn't in public.

its not? so if I step into an inn and randomly fling my magic missiles and flame arrows at patrons then Im not in public? if I were in a small room with only one other person yea then Id be in private (like the dwarven killer of Wellyn) but....

Dont think so, Jester.

I believe the Cowled Wizards should come when magic is publically used in Ankhala (so indoors too when we are not in our private houses) alerted only by their own scrying means since we are not speaking of a common patrol of soldiers which can be called for easily by commoners and such.

Dont think so, Jester.

I believe the Cowled Wizards should come when magic is publically used in Ankhala (so indoors too when we are not in our private houses) alerted only by their own scrying means since we are not speaking of a common patrol of soldiers which can be called for easily by commoners and such.

I don't think they detect magic usage in the presence of others... the idea seems silly to me... rather magic usage in specific places, hence I think you should be caught in a public building but not in some poor beggar's hovel...

I don't think they detect magic usage in the presence of others... the idea seems silly to me... rather magic usage in specific places, hence I think you should be caught in a public building but not in some poor beggar's hovel...

yea thats what I meant.

Perhaps it should be handled like stealing something in a house with residents present was handled in BG1.

I really like that idea!

...I think you should be caught in a public building but not in some poor beggar's hovel...

I would argue differently. I see no reason why the walls of a rotting wooden shack would prevent spells cast inside it from being detected by the Cowl who's currently monitoring the area. I would say that only buildings that are actually shielded against Cowled inquisitiveness, whether through the power of the occupants (Harper Hold) or divine sanctuary (Temples), or buildings where the owner has paid for privacy from that sort of intrusion (Copper Coronet) should be free of Cowled intervention. I also see no reason why the Graveyard District should be off-limits for the Cowls--since they've proven that their interest is not in saving innocents, but in extorting money, they should extend their jurisdiction to the maximum legal area.

But of course, I'd be far more interested in seeing the Cowls respond to magic cast by your enemies, too--it's hardly as if every lowlife Bandit party has scraped 5,000 gold together. It'd be womderful if they behaved intelligently: If a spell is cast, they Dimension Door in, start attacking all Wizards and Bards that are not of the Cowled order, and Dimension Door out. They actually get mad that you've been killing them off like flies. Their final war party teleports in to kill you when it's good for them, not for you. etc.

...I think you should be caught in a public building but not in some poor beggar's hovel...

I would argue differently. I see no reason why the walls of a rotting wooden shack would prevent spells cast inside it from being detected by the Cowl who's currently monitoring the area.

My point rather was that they might not be bothered with monitoring whole city as such rather specific places in it.

Archived