Jonny has lost his voice

cirerrek

Started a new game and big bad Jon Irenicus has become big bad silent Jon Irenicus.

Checked out AR0602 with NI and JI isn't showing up as an actor, so I can't find the offending dialogue file to determine when or what mod might have changed it.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Started a new game and big bad Jon Irenicus has become big bad silent Jon Irenicus. 

Checked out AR0602 with NI and JI isn't showing up as an actor, so I can't find the offending dialogue file to determine when or what mod might have changed it.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

Looks like the silence from some of the actors isn't just limited to Chateau Irenicus.

Jonny and the Cowled wizards in the Promenade cutscene and in the Cutscene after you speak with Gaelan Bayle were also giving me the silent treatment. Fortunately all those discussions have subtitles.

Any ideas what might be the problem?

Thanks,

I had a similar thing happen to me in IWD2: some of the character sounds just didn't play. No idea why.

Well, that is rude! I was hoping there was a chance that it was a mod problem which could be isolated and fixed.

The weird thing is that I have been unable to locate Jon's .cre file AR0602, which makes locating the appropriate dialog files also tricky. Guess I might have to go through them 1x1. Yeeuck.

Jon is handled by script for most of the game. You'll need to check:

AR0602.BCS // I think spawn Jon and start NewGame

NEWGAME.BCS // The intro cutscene

TELE0700.BCS // Start up the Promenade cutscene

CUT01*.BCS files // Jon kicks ass sequence

Any dialogue assigned to the creature defs should be spurious (IIRC, the dialogue files are all finished, but all the interaction was moved to DisplayStringHead() before the game was released), so you'll only need to pay attention to the scripts.

Jon is handled by script for most of the game. You'll need to check:

AR0602.BCS // I think spawn Jon and start NewGame

NEWGAME.BCS // The intro cutscene

TELE0700.BCS // Start up the Promenade cutscene

CUT01*.BCS files // Jon kicks ass sequence

Any dialogue assigned to the creature defs should be spurious (IIRC, the dialogue files are all finished, but all the interaction was moved to DisplayStringHead() before the game was released), so you'll only need to pay attention to the scripts.

Thanks devSin. That is exactly the list I was interested in seeing.

I don't think it is AR0602.bcs, as I did look through that I didn't see anything obvious pertaining to a .cre file for Irenicus, but I haven't looked at the others, yet.

[edit]can that[/edit] I did find a reference to his .cre file there (CSJON)

Thanks,

Well oddly enough, DJON156.WAV is located in the override folder, courtesy of I believe Baldurdash-WeiDU. It plays fine except for the fact that it is in what I believe is French, oh and it plays with MSMediaPlayer, which I think indicates that it is uncompressed.

Near Infinity plays DJON156.WAV in English then locks up.

I tried some of the Promenade sound files.

IRENIC01, 02, etc.,.WAV and as far as I can tell, they only appear in the BIFs.

Near Inifinty plays them in English, gets to the end and starts up with this horrible buzzing noise. You can stop the sound playing or switch to a new .WAV and the buzzing sound continues.

For more listening pleasure, if you play several of them in a row, the buzzing noise intensifies as if by constructive feedback. Closing NI will thankfully stop the buzzing noise.

Sigh, I'm at a loss here. Wondering if I should just try re-installing to see if that fixes the problem.

Well oddly enough, DJON156.WAV is located in the override folder, courtesy of I believe Baldurdash-WeiDU.  It plays fine except for the fact that it is in what I believe is French, oh and it plays with MSMediaPlayer, which I think indicates that it is uncompressed. 

Near Infinity plays DJON156.WAV in English then locks up. 

I tried some of the Promenade sound files.

IRENIC01, 02, etc.,.WAV and as far as I can tell, they only appear in the BIFs.

Near Inifinty plays them in English, gets to the end and starts up with this horrible buzzing noise.  You can stop the sound playing or switch to a new .WAV and the buzzing sound continues.

For more listening pleasure, if you play several of them in a row, the buzzing noise intensifies as if by constructive feedback.  Closing NI will thankfully stop the buzzing noise. 

Sigh, I'm at a loss here.  Wondering if I should just try re-installing to see if that fixes the problem.

This could be an NI problem, or, not even NI, NI uses external player :O

The IE accepts only a certain bitrate. 22050/mono, i think.

Nah, the problem is worse. I did a complete re-install with just SoA and the problem still exists. That means that one or more of my discs are hosed. :O

Fortunately, I already have another copy on the way :D. Since it was going to be my backup, unfortunately, I'll want a backup for my backup. Sigh. Still two copies of BG2 are cheaper than a new game and I'll very likely continue to get more enjoyment out of them than anything else.

Aieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Irenicus still isn't talking out loud even with a fresh installation using my new copy of BG2. :)

Now I must assume it has something to do with my hardware set up. That is liable to be extremely fun to track down.

Irenicus still isn't talking out loud even with a fresh installation using my new copy of BG2:)

Now I must assume it has something to do with my hardware set up.  That is liable to be extremely fun to track down.

Correction. Irencius sometimes finishes the end of phrase, sometimes speaks the whole phrase, but most of the time I only get the subtitles.

The Cowled Wizards are the same.

And the NPC lines are generally only partially spoken.

So weird.

Irenicus still isn't talking out loud even with a fresh installation using my new copy of BG2:)

Now I must assume it has something to do with my hardware set up.  That is liable to be extremely fun to track down.

Correction. Irencius sometimes finishes the end of phrase, sometimes speaks the whole phrase, but most of the time I only get the subtitles.

The Cowled Wizards are the same.

And the NPC lines are generally only partially spoken.

So weird.

This may shock some folks, but I'm actually trying to play right now. I had this same problem with any cutscene--the audio for spoken lines would cut out, or wouldn't play at all. The culprit was the environmental audio in the sound options--once I turned it off, Irenicus et al started talking again.

Archived